Post-Game Talk: #46 Wild 4 at FLYERS 7, Monday, Jan. 14, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As usual, people overreacting to one game to support their prejudices, ignoring the other 14 games under Gordon.
Let's see the Flyers score 3 goals next game, given they've scored less than that 8 of the 15 games under Gordon.
It would be great if this was the "turnaround" game, except that the Wild dominated play.
The Giroux line was especially bad, and Gudas should never be paired with Hagg again (or Hagg with Folin, two slow D-men together is not a good idea).

Though kudos to Voracek, who had maybe his best game of the year, and looked very good at the point on 5x5, from there he just shoots to get it on net, and can use his passing ability and his ability to maintain puck possession. If he played with this intensity on a regular basis, he'd be a top 10 forward.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Wow, everything about tonight was fun.

Good work, Sam.

iu

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
That information is accessible to all teams. It has been reported that Simmonds has as many as 12 teams in his contract to which he cannot be dealt without his approval. Agents and the NHLPA are also aware of the info and can be used as sources, too.

Thank you, MSE. That's a bit of a shame in this case, where GMs like Chiarelli know they have zero chance.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
As usual, people overreacting to one game to support their prejudices, ignoring the other 14 games under Gordon.
Let's see the Flyers score 3 goals next game, given they've scored less than that 8 of the 15 games under Gordon.
It would be great if this was the "turnaround" game, except that the Wild dominated play.
The Giroux line was especially bad, and Gudas should never be paired with Hagg again (or Hagg with Folin, two slow D-men together is not a good idea).

Though kudos to Voracek, who had maybe his best game of the year, and looked very good at the point on 5x5, from there he just shoots to get it on net, and can use his passing ability and his ability to maintain puck possession. If he played with this intensity on a regular basis, he'd be a top 10 forward.

balloon+dog.gif

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Lol. Yea fans excited their team won a game for a change and we are overreacting. Typical reaching bullshit. This team is dreadful. If you (@deadhead) weren’t campaigning so hard to justify Hakstol, you would have clearly noticed the “hive” around here wanted Hakstol gone and player turnover. You just decided to make it all about the coach most times though.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That was nice. Glad you brought it up, it's a little under the radar with everything else that happened.
Meh. Entering last night, Laughton had 0 goals & 3 assists in his last 14 games despite averaging over 15 minutes per night.

He made a nice play on Simmonds’ breakaway, but really it was because Pateryn fumbled the puck.

I’d be quite happy to move on from Laughton.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I really loved Laughton's cross ice pass for the goal at the end of the 2nd. He's come a long way since Hextall first called up him in November 2014.

This year and last his two-way game has been great too... in 15-16 you could see his speed and shot and knew he would be a ~25pt+ guy who could be a ~#9 forward offensively, but his D was mediocre at best...

now he has become a legit 3rd line winger/4C. Not a world-beater, but solid depth piece.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That was nice. Glad you brought it up, it's a little under the radar with everything else that happened.

It was a really crucial play. If the flaky Flyers started the 3rd with a one goal lead, things might have been a lot different.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I was actually at the game. I'm here in the U.S. accompanying my nephew who is applying to some universities in the region (Princeton, University of Pennsylvania, and Columbia). We bought the tickets via StubHub, and I had so much fun at the game. We also went to Jim's Steaks on South Street before the game! I love those cheese steaks with fried onions!
I was very surprised to see Jori Lethera playing. I thought he was over in Finland facing jail time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lol. Yea fans excited their team won a game for a change and we are overreacting. Typical reaching bull****. This team is dreadful. If you (@deadhead) weren’t campaigning so hard to justify Hakstol, you would have clearly noticed the “hive” around here wanted Hakstol gone and player turnover. You just decided to make it all about the coach most times though.

"Player turnover" for the hive has meant getting rid of veteran scrubs, which has always been meaningless, because the only reason the veteran scrubs were playing was the lack of young talent (due to 10 years of bad drafting and trading draft picks, Edmonton is in the same hole).

Hakstol made the playoffs twice, and Berube once, with what is now self-evidently a core that can't carry a team.
They did so with a conservative style that hid the talent limitations of this team.
They've opened up a bit under Gordon and they're 4-8-2 despite better goaltending. 30/44 GF/GA.
A better coach might get a little more out of this team, but they're still the island of misfit toys.
Hextall was trying to hold the fort until reinforcements arrived, but the barbarians got him.

The Wild dominated play:
60.61 Corsi
22/16 SCF/CA
10/8 HDCF/CA
Hart was shaky in the 1st period, but kept them in the game the rest of the way as he was peppered.

Some bad performances:
TK 17.65 Corsi, 2/16 SCF/CA, 1/8 HDCF/CA
JVR 25.00 Corsi, 5/16 SCF/CA, 3/8 HDCF/CA
Giroux 26.47 Corsi, 5/15 SCF/CA, 3/8 HDCF/CA

Hagg 31.25 Corsi, 4/10 SCF/CA, 2/5 HDCF/CA
Gudas 32.14 Corsi, 4/8 SCF/CA, 2/4 HDCF/CA

I'm starting to wonder if some combinations aren't being dictated by Fletcher, or at least suggested, in order to evaluate players in different roles to see who fits going forward before he starts moving people out, both at the TDL and in June.

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
"Player turnover" for the hive has meant getting rid of veteran scrubs, which has always been meaningless, because the only reason the veteran scrubs were playing was the lack of young talent (due to 10 years of bad drafting and trading draft picks, Edmonton is in the same hole).

Hakstol made the playoffs twice, and Berube once, with what is now self-evidently a core that can't carry a team.
They did so with a conservative style that hid the talent limitations of this team.
They've opened up a bit under Gordon and they're 4-8-2 despite better goaltending. 30/44 GF/GA.
A better coach might get a little more out of this team, but they're still the island of misfit toys.
Hextall was trying to hold the fort until reinforcements arrived, but the barbarians got him.

The Wild dominated play:
60.61 Corsi
22/16 SCF/CA
10/8 HDCF/CA
Hart was shaky in the 1st period, but kept them in the game the rest of the way as he was peppered.

Some bad performances:
TK 17.65 Corsi, 2/16 SCF/CA, 1/8 HDCF/CA
JVR 25.00 Corsi, 5/16 SCF/CA, 3/8 HDCF/CA
Giroux 26.47 Corsi, 5/15 SCF/CA, 3/8 HDCF/CA

Hagg 31.25 Corsi, 4/10 SCF/CA, 2/5 HDCF/CA
Gudas 32.14 Corsi, 4/8 SCF/CA, 2/4 HDCF/CA

I'm starting to wonder if some combinations aren't being dictated by Fletcher, or at least suggested, in order to evaluate players in different roles to see who fits going forward before he starts moving people out, both at the TDL and in June.

when watching jvr play, i hope people can seperate the production from the bad. JVR is a guy who will produce points, but his play will never help you win games. He is so bad in his own zone

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Meh. Entering last night, Laughton had 0 goals & 3 assists in his last 14 games despite averaging over 15 minutes per night.

He made a nice play on Simmonds’ breakaway, but really it was because Pateryn fumbled the puck.

I’d be quite happy to move on from Laughton.
Laughton hasnt done anything and soft also. Standards are low now boy.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad