GDT: [#46] Stars on Broadway

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
If the advanced stat tells you Kari and Niemi are better than a number of goalies any GM would rather have on the team, it's probably safe to say you're looking at too narrow of a stat.

5 v 5 SV% is considered advanced?

They have been good this season at times, and its not there fault our PK is terrible. But we need a goalie who can win us games when needed. I also dont trust either if we made the playoffs

Now i know our D needs help and that would also help with our goaltending. But they both just give up too many stoppable goals, and at the worst time.

This season is basically over for us ( watch us go on some 10 game winning streak ) but I hope Nill has a plan to fix our goaltending and D next year. Should be lots of options with the expansion draft this year

I'd like to think we needed to win games last year and our goalies were there getting it done 50 times. Which is a lot.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
5 v 5 SV% is considered advanced?

I'd like to think we needed to win games last year and our goalies were there getting it done 50 times. Which is a lot.

I wouldnt say every win last year was due to them. We scored alot more to make up for them letting im soft goals.

I remember the first game against Pittsburgh last year where Niemi got a shutout and was amazing that game, and also game 6 for Lehtonen versus STL. I know there where alot more games. Those two stick out to me

Im not saying they dont win us games here and there, i just dont feel comfortable going into next year with both again.

If you do then to each there own. Im just tired of being near the bottom in GAA. Yes the D needs upgrading as well and that plays a major role. Also we need a better PK

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I also think we needed to win games after the regular season ended, and the goalies were not getting it done, which means a lot more.

We went 7-6, which would be an 88 point pace if we never got a loser point in 38 losses. And we did it exclusively against playoff teams, which are in theory better than non-playoff teams.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
We went 7-6, which would be an 88 point pace if we never got a loser point in 38 losses. And we did it exclusively against playoff teams, which are in theory better than non-playoff teams.

And did so by having to outscore some of the worst goaltending ever put on display. All without Seguin. It tells you how hard those skaters fought and how good they were playing offensively. It's why I still have fond memories of what the team did last season. Impressive show. It's also why I expected nothing this season when Nill chose to keep both goalies.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
And did so by having to outscore some of the worst goaltending ever put on display. All without Seguin. It tells you how hard those skaters fought and how good they were playing offensively. It's why I still have fond memories of what the team did last season. Impressive show. It's also why I expected nothing this season when Nill chose to keep both goalies.

If you think the scoring and the giving up goals are unrelated, I understand why you have that point of view.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If you think the scoring and the giving up goals are unrelated, I understand why you have that point of view.

If you want to talk numbers, go ahead, but the numbers don't tell the real story. The story of the too frequent unscreened shots from distance getting in. The sharp angle shots getting in. The heartbreaking goals given up quickly after the Stars score.

It's not like I'm making this up. Kari sucks. Nill knows it. Ruff knows it. Most of us know it. That's why Nill went and overpaid for Niemi to fight to take Kari's job (turn out Niemi also sucks). It's why Ruff can't trust either one to take over the starting job. It's why both have been pulled many times in the playoffs last year and during this season.

I'm fully aware the defense isn't good and the forwards provide limited help, but... Well, let me try this another way. If you swapped either of Kari/Niemi with Price, my guess is Price's numbers take a hit playing behind a crappy Stars team. At the same time, I don't think Kari/Niemi's numbers become anything significantly better playing behind a better Montreal team.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
If you want to talk numbers, go ahead, but the numbers don't tell the real story. The story of the too frequent unscreened shots from distance getting in. The sharp angle shots getting in. The heartbreaking goals given up quickly after the Stars score.

It's not like I'm making this up. Kari sucks. Nill knows it. Ruff knows it. Most of us know it. That's why Nill went and overpaid for Niemi to fight to take Kari's job (turn out Niemi also sucks). It's why Ruff can't trust either one to take over the starting job. It's why both have been pulled many times in the playoffs last year and during this season.

I'm fully aware the defense isn't good and the forwards provide limited help, but... Well, let me try this another way. If you swapped either of Kari/Niemi with Price, my guess is Price's numbers take a hit playing behind a crappy Stars team. At the same time, I don't think Kari/Niemi's numbers become anything significantly better playing behind a better Montreal team.

I have much more time for numbers than any person's ability to recall significant mistakes and I don't have any time at all for notions of timely saves or heartbreaking goals.

And I disagree with the idea that Kari sucks. The things you bring up I think have been less of an issue this year which I give Reese credit for, and I think Kari should be in the 11-20 band of NHL starters and is playing that well this season. There's a huge gap between the top tier goalies and the rest and nobody is mistaking Kari for being in that group, but he's not nearly as bad as many fans seem to think.

________

Feb 6, 2006
If you do then to each there own. Im just tired of being near the bottom in GAA. Yes the D needs upgrading as well and that plays a major role. Also we need a better PK

James Patrick is a big problem in that. Running out the same proven failures Oduya, Jordie Benn and Eakin on the PK doesn't help things out either.
If all four of them were gone, things would be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad