GDT: [#46] Stars on Broadway

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Say what you want about Kari and his mistakes , awful mental state whatever but he's still a better goalie than Niemi.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Neither one ismgood enough to be a starter.

Kari on his good nights clearly still plays like a starter . Of course that might not last a full game and those have become much rarer than earlier in his career. Niemi on the other hand even on his good nights looks really questionable in his rebound control and positioning.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah Niemi is scary. He doesn't stop the puck or make a save as much as he lunges chest first to block it. No technique and zero rebound control. At least Kari is more fundamentally sound, despite has penchant for questionable goals as well. He's way more trustworthy on rebounds and when the puck is in tight.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
What happened to dave strader calling stars games? Did he move to another team? Personally i dont like him that much and seeing a different announcer is a pleasant surprise as i am just starting the rangers/stars game from last night

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
What happened to dave strader calling stars games? Did he move to another team? Personally i dont like him that much and seeing a different announcer is a pleasant surprise as i am just starting the rangers/stars game from last night

He was diagnosed with a very serious cancer and is home getting treatment. The Stars wanted to keep his seat warm, so they set it up this season where Razor would do play by play and Craig Ludwig would go from intermission work to color. Unfortunately, the treatment seems to have been far more taxing and serious than was first assumed. The idea was Strader would call some number of games, but he hasn't been able to do any.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

He had to be replaced due to Cancer . When it was announced Razor + Ludwig would doing games it was for games Strader couldn't call due to his health . Unfortunately its apparently worse than everyone thought since he couldn't call any games this season .

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
We cannot agree on everything, and in this forum, it appears almost nothing between forum brothers.

Kari lost me 3 seasons ago. Antti is not consistent, and every goalie has bad periods and bad games mixed in with the good. I'd still take Antti above Kari, and if another goalie comes to town, Antti goes to 2, and Kari, well, whatever is after that.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Outside of the early honeymoon phase in the first few weeks of last season Niemi has been consistently worse than Kari. Kari is more likely to give you a fighting chance in games we have no buissness in . The only reason to keep Niemi over Kari is if you are less confident Karis ability to take a backseat to a new younger top dog than Niemis. When it comes to ability its not even really a contest that Kari is just better.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Kari is 7th in the NHL in 5v5 sv% among goalies with at least 910m at 5v5. Chose that number because it is just a bit less than Niemi's 5v5 minutes and Niemi at 17th is ahead of Miller, Bishop, Condon, Luongo, Schneider, Jones, Ward, Fleury, Hellebuyck, Mrazek, Allen, Vasilevsky, Elliott, Lundqvist, Mason, and Varlamov.

One goalie in the upper quarter of the league, one at exactly the middle. Stars fans with pitchforks in hand, calling for a sacrifice.

What a time to be alive.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Kari is 7th in the NHL in 5v5 sv% among goalies with at least 910m at 5v5. Chose that number because it is just a bit less than Niemi's 5v5 minutes and Niemi at 17th is ahead of Miller, Bishop, Condon, Luongo, Schneider, Jones, Ward, Fleury, Hellebuyck, Mrazek, Allen, Vasilevsky, Elliott, Lundqvist, Mason, and Varlamov.

One goalie in the upper quarter of the league, one at exactly the middle. Stars fans with pitchforks in hand, calling for a sacrifice.

What a time to be alive.

If the advanced stat tells you Kari and Niemi are better than a number of goalies any GM would rather have on the team, it's probably safe to say you're looking at too narrow of a stat.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

What a time to be alive.

They have been good this season at times, and its not there fault our PK is terrible. But we need a goalie who can win us games when needed. I also dont trust either if we made the playoffs

Now i know our D needs help and that would also help with our goaltending. But they both just give up too many stoppable goals, and at the worst time.

This season is basically over for us ( watch us go on some 10 game winning streak ) but I hope Nill has a plan to fix our goaltending and D next year. Should be lots of options with the expansion draft this year

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I personally think Niemis style with bad rebound control boosts his SV% . He makes a ton of saves a better goalie never would have to make because they send rebounds to less dangerous areas or keep the puck sticking to them better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00