GDT: #46 | FLYERS (A) vs. Rangers (H) | Thursday, Apr. 22, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | ESPN+, MSG, NBCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He's 25 years old and in his 4th season now. I think it's time to accept that there isn't a lot more to unleash.
Hartnell said it pretty well. He's shown flashes, but he's incredibly inconsistent.

I see two players. A player in the beginning of the game and with the lead and a clearly different player when behind or OT. I think they tell him to play conservatively. He made Hagg look good the other night!

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
What I wouldn’t do to just throw prime Sandy McCarthy, Berube, Kordic, Richardson and McCallister out there for tomorrow’s game. Just one game. Without regard to the score and without undue interference from this wussified league and incompetent refs. That’s all I want. Maybe this roster of figure skaters would see what toughness is and grow some balls for next season.

Reactions: Fotiu29

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I see two players. A player in the beginning of the game and with the lead and a clearly different player when behind or OT. I think they tell him to play conservatively. He made Hagg look good the other night!
Could be coaching, but could also be a sign of inconsistency which I find more likely. Obviously it doesn't help that our RD situation is kind of a mess right now and our LDs are constantly switching partners.
Hopefully adding a top RHD next season will help getting more out of him and Provorov and bring some stability. Because right now our D doesn't look like a group that could win us a playoff series.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
tenor.gif

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Oh, I think he'll improve, but some people here overrate the players and blame everything on the coaches.

Sanheim would have to make a big jump to be as good as some here think he is, given his defensive limitations, he has to be a top 20 offensive guy to be a 1st pair defensemen. Right now I have to see his ceiling as an above average 2nd pair guy.

However, I'm more than happy to keep Sanheim - Myers together, live through growing pains and hope they can take it up a notch or two.
Nothing wrong if they only turn out to be an above average 2nd pair, lots of playoff teams don't have four legitimate top four defensemen.
I think he can take it up another notch. But if all he becomes is a second pair guy that plays well defensively, clogs up transition with his speed, and chips in for 35 to 40 points, 8 to 10 goals, is that considered not good or a disappointment? Right now I agree that keeping he and Myers wouldn't be a bad decision atm. Good post.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Could be coaching, but could also be a sign of inconsistency which I find more likely. Obviously it doesn't help that our RD situation is kind of a mess right now and our LDs are constantly switching partners.
Hopefully adding a top RHD next season will help getting more out of him and Provorov and bring some stability. Because right now our D doesn't look like a group that could win us a playoff series.

He literally only plays conservatively in the first period or with a lead. If he played all out in the early part of a game sometimes I could see it. He looks neutered to me.

Reactions: ybnvs

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think it's time to admit that this is a great post. Great post.

You'd never guess, but this post criticizing Sanheim's ceiling at age 24.....
He's 25 years old and in his 4th season now. I think it's time to accept that there isn't a lot more to unleash.

.....is by the same person who wrote these about Couturier after his age 24 season......
I think Berglund is the closest comparable for Couturier and he's a 3C on a playoff team.
Ultimately that should be our goal if we want to build a contender. Find a more dynamic 2C like the Blues did with Stastny.

I like Couturier, but sometimes I wish we'd just trade him for a similar player for this obsession to end. It's tiresome.
It's impossible to have an objective discussion about this player.

Couturier can only be a 2nd line center if he has top line level wingers to even out his offensive shortcomings.
He'll never be the best offensive player on his line.

What I'm trying to say is: this is a great poster. And he can 'splain to me anytime.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I like Couturier, but sometimes I wish we'd just trade him for a similar player for this obsession to end. It's tiresome.
It's impossible to have an objective discussion about this player.

What I'm trying to say is: this is a great poster. And he can 'splain to me anytime.
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen multiple nearly identical posts about Ghost too.

“I’m tired of saying dumb things and getting corrected, so I hope the team gets worse so I don’t need to be corrected anymore”

Also, great spite. Great research. Great post.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Things i miss in todays game. Hockey is developed in something like figure skating with a black rubber lately. Especcially when you are a flyers fan.

And i dont speak about fighting!

I miss 90's hockey too, But its time to accept that he game is never, ever going to be more physical then it is now. You need to either learn to love the new hockey or move on to another sport.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I think he can take it up another notch. But if all he becomes is a second pair guy that plays well defensively, clogs up transition with his speed, and chips in for 35 to 40 points, 8 to 10 goals, is that considered not good or a disappointment? Right now I agree that keeping he and Myers wouldn't be a bad decision atm. Good post.

Out of curiosity how many players do you think there are like that in the NHL?

Reactions: Rebels57

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I miss 90's hockey too, But its time to accept that he game is never, ever going to be more physical then it is now. You need to either learn to love the new hockey or move on to another sport.
Your right. But i cant Help myself. There isnt anything like the 90's hockey:(

But the 2000 - 2010 was also good for me. Maybe we can have it back?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Your right. But i cant Help myself. There isnt anything like the 90's hockey:(

But the 2000 - 2010 was also good for me. Maybe we can have it back?

Doubtful, they made conscious changes during that era to decrease physicality in the game. Hockey from 2000 to 2010 were two radically different sports at the NHL level. I can't see any scenario where the rules allow for the type of play seen before 2006-07. Especially because the NHL is so much more popular now then during that era. Hockey, football even basketball will never go back to the levels of physical intensity seen in the 90's and early 2000's.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad