Post-Game Talk: #45 | Maple Leafs 2 at FLYERS 3 (OT) | Thu., Jan. 18, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Ghost had a good game, except for the uh, mistake that led to the first goal.
The second goal was fluky, bounced up, everyone lost sight of it, Hagg had his man tied up but he shot it weakly through his legs and Neuvirth basically blew it, his only mistake of the game.
Though when will a Flyer goalie actually stop a breakaway? It's getting weird, we can't score on breakaways and our goalies can't stop them!

If you give Lehtera two fast linemates he can look decent as they occupy the puck while he catches up to the play.

The third period might be the Flyer's best period of the season, or at least up there, they were flying, as good as Neuvirth played, Anderson played just as well. Really good forechecking, keeping the puck in the O-zone.

Patrick definitely looks much quicker than a month ago, he's not going to be 100% this year, but if he gets to 90% that's a big boost. He has the entire package, with legs and an offseason to add strength, he's gonna be in beast mode next season. The spirit was willing but the legs were weak, now that he can skate I think he's going to finish this season strong.

Couts played 24 minutes, that's too much, Patrick played 13:30, even if he gets up to 15 or so, they have to play Laughton more, but he's not this huge upgrade over Filppula, other than forechecking, I'm not sure he brings much, certainly not playmaking skills.

Raffl is a beast, he's a perfect example why forechecking and winning board battles are the key for most players, even with his below average offensive skills, he's a valuable addition to any line. He's not huge, but he's big enough, and has the biggest heart on the team. If he could actually shoot a puck he'd be an elite player.

Gudas is finally getting over his post-suspension funk, when he was being too careful and lost his edge, the snarl is returning.

Konecny got lucky on that pass to win the game, had two Flyers allowed that pass, there would be 6 pages of ranting, especially if one of the Flyers was Manning or MacDonald - that was simply bad defense, a good pass but it never should have made it to Couts.

And the entire team should start chanting "shoot the damn puck" every time someone has a clear lane from 15 feet, so many bad passes off good shooting opportunities.
do you even read the shit you spew? you go from saying laughton isn't a huge upgrade over flip because all he's really better at is forechecking and then the very next paragraph say how raffl is a great example of why forechecking is key to making a difference without skill. you literally have progressed from day by day contradictions to post by post contradictions to now sentence by sentence contradictions. More proof haktardation is a real brain disease.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Konecny got lucky on that pass to win the game, had two Flyers allowed that pass, there would be 6 pages of ranting, especially if one of the Flyers was Manning or MacDonald - that was simply bad defense, a good pass but it never should have made it to Couts.

Accurate.

There’s no question that the Leafs D botched the play. And there is also no question that TK’s choice was high risk; that pass gets interdicted by either Leaf and its 3-on-1 the other way. With high risk comes high rewards, if one has the skill to pull it off.

Hockey is a lot more nuanced than a lot of people here are willing to consider.

As it stands it was well-envisioned by Konecny and well-executed as well, then the sterling finish by Coots. Splendid play, great display of skill.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
TK was really giving it to Matthews all game too. Seemed to be out against him a lot and handled it fairly well. With Couts and G on his line, TK can just buzz around and piss people off like he was born to. I love that little rascal.

This is why I f***ing love TK. He doesn't back down from anyone and has the skill to back it up. He would probably fight Matthews in a heartbeat. He is probably going to be my next jersey.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My hope is TK stays relatively hot for the rest of the season and can get 30+ pts. He's only got 17 in 45, but he's been getting them lately.

I wonder if removing him from the PP actually has helped. Let him focus 5v5.

Sure as shit hasn't helped the PP

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
do you even read the **** you spew? you go from saying laughton isn't a huge upgrade over flip because all he's really better at is forechecking and then the very next paragraph say how raffl is a great example of why forechecking is key to making a difference without skill. you literally have progressed from day by day contradictions to post by post contradictions to now sentence by sentence contradictions. More proof haktardation is a real brain disease.

Nuances.
Raffl is a winger who's a great possession guy.
Laughton is a center who's a good possession guy, one reason I want him to play LW is his skill set is better suited to that role.
Laughton hasn't had the best wingers, but he hasn't made anyone better, either, which is what a good center should do.
He's not a shutdown defensive center or a great PK guy either.
He's a solid depth guy, but until/if Laughton steps up his game, nothing more than that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's why I wonder if they've gone back to the 2nd PP is purely there to rest the 1st PP. Putting Lehtera and Manning on it, sure looks like it.

Nah I just think they are dumb and think that unit has the best chance of scoring.

Meanwhile, they have a higher likelihood of getting scored against.

Reactions: Hiesenberg

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Nuances.
Raffl is a winger who's a great possession guy.
Laughton is a center who's a good possession guy, one reason I want him to play LW is his skill set is better suited to that role.
Laughton hasn't had the best wingers, but he hasn't made anyone better, either, which is what a good center should do.
He's not a shutdown defensive center or a great PK guy either.
He's a solid depth guy, but until/if Laughton steps up his game, nothing more than that.

He has been pretty damn great defensively though this season.

49.05 CA/60 (10th best amongst all NHL forwards)
25.27 SA/60 (11th best amongst all NHL forwards)
1.96 ExGA/60 (41st best amongst all NHL forwards)

And can anyone remember a Laughton defensive miscue all year?

I mean, two years ago I 100% thought he was a winger going forward and his defense was poor at NHL level.

But this year he has been the Scott Laughton who was a fantastic defensive forward in the OHL and AHL.

He might not have been elevating his linemates offensively... but defensively he has been.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is why I ****ing love TK. He doesn't back down from anyone and has the skill to back it up. He would probably fight Matthews in a heartbeat. He is probably going to be my next jersey.

Don't misunderstand me, there's a lot to like about Konecny, he's a tough little SOB, skates like his pants are on fire, and his motor never stops.
But I think he's a couple years away from being a finished product, and expectations should be tempered.

He needs to get stronger because of his style of play. He's not going to be huge, but a few more lbs of muscle will help.
He needs to get smarter, he makes some dumb assed cross ice passes at times leading to turnovers - that's what got him benched.
He needs to work on his wrist shot, he makes a lot of opportunities for himself but doesn't have the killer shot like Boeser, for example.

I expect all those things to come over the next couple years, and when it comes together he'll be a 30-30 winger.
And it will help him to play with centers like Couts, Frost and Patrick over the next few years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I mean, two years ago I 100% thought he was a winger going forward and his defense was poor at NHL level.

But this year he has been the Scott Laughton who was a fantastic defensive forward in the OHL and AHL.

He might not have been elevating his linemates offensively... but defensively he has been.

I can literally only think of one. It was a neutral zone turnover early in the season that led to a goal on the transition. It might have actually been that crazy Predators game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

But what have been his matchups?
I don't remember him getting a lot of matchups against top scoring lines.
So I think those stats are skewed by good O-zone possession against weaker lines.
As far as PK, he doesn't have great numbers, but neither does Couts, so it's hard to judge.

He's definitely improved defensively, but I'm not sure he should be in the same conversation with Couts quite yet.
But Laughton is only 23, and just getting used to playing a defensive role in the NHL.
So there's plenty of time for him to put a solid two way game together, just not sure it'll be at center down the road.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
But what have been his matchups?
I don't remember him getting a lot of matchups against top scoring lines.
So I think those stats are skewed by good O-zone possession against weaker lines.
As far as PK, he doesn't have great numbers, but neither does Couts, so it's hard to judge.

He's definitely improved defensively, but I'm not sure he should be in the same conversation with Couts quite yet.
But Laughton is only 23, and just getting used to playing a defensive role in the NHL.
So there's plenty of time for him to put a solid two way game together, just not sure it'll be at center down the road.

He has mainly faced 3rd lines, with 47% RSZ. Not exactly protected or shielded for a '4th liner'. I mean, he aint doing what Marcus Krüger does defensively... but in the minutes he is given he has been pretty dominant defensively.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Even in their brief look, the Lehtera-Laughton-Voracek line was pretty dominant, if thats not good enough reason to give Laughton a chance with two good wingers I dont know what is. Either Raffl or Linblom should be LW
Lethera is not as bad as he looked so far. Can't have V playing 4th line either.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
:laugh:

Ghosts was a mistake, but Haggs was a fluke????

Then the attempt to minimize Konecnys play.

He's so mad they're playing great and proving him wrong time after time after time after time. So transparent.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You just hate when your heroes screw up.
And what did Hagg do wrong on that goal?

And yes, if the tables were turned, you'd be the first to castigate the Flyer players for allowing that pass to squeeze by them.
Unless of course, one of your favorites was responsible.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hagg is playing hockey from the school of Andrew MacDonald. I watched that guy in the 2nd period back up all the way to Neuvy and allow shot after shot. Hell at one point, he skated past two Maple Leafs and let them get a prime shot.

He's playing poorly, no if, and's, or but's.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Ghost played great but admit his f*** up was terrible and could have cost the game if not for another cheating the game bastard in Marner. My bro is a leaf fan and he'll admit Marner and Nulander both need heavy slaps.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You just hate when your heroes screw up.
And what did Hagg do wrong on that goal?

And yes, if the tables were turned, you'd be the first to castigate the Flyer players for allowing that pass to squeeze by them.
Unless of course, one of your favorites was responsible.

What did Ghost do wrong? Other than a fluke miss? He's insane at keeping the puck in the zone, he stops that 999/1000. It's not as if he did something stupid, it was just a fluke whiff.

And, if you're going to use the excuse that the Leafs D played it poorly, no goal or assist is ever valid because there's always something someone did wrong.

But hey, don't let common sense get in the way. I know it kills you to see them play well. You spend so much time trying to bash them and exaggerate tiny things, but it all blows up in your face. :laugh:

All your petty complaints have proven to be either nitpicking or fabricated nonsese. Ghost proved it, Konecny is proving it, and, as soon as Hakstol gets his head out of his ass, Sanheim will prove it too.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Ghost played great but admit his **** up was terrible and could have cost the game if not for another cheating the game bastard in Marner. My bro is a leaf fan and he'll admit Marner and Nulander both need heavy slaps.

I think we all acknowledge that Ghost f***ed up on that play. But, he is almost always a positive force on the ice so an occasional f*** up can be overlooked unlike AMac and Hagg.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ghost played great but admit his **** up was terrible and could have cost the game if not for another cheating the game bastard in Marner. My bro is a leaf fan and he'll admit Marner and Nulander both need heavy slaps.
It's really easy for people to be honest with what happens, it just doesn't happen.

Ghost obviously f***ed up. Hell, we all heard him scream it when it happened. But with Ghost and our good players, they bring so much positives, it outweighs the mistakes. Guys like Manning and AMac, that doesn't happen.

Marner...yup...bad play by him, good one by Patrick.

Nylander...I said it on the main boards last night...all he had to do was stay with Couts and let Gardiner take TK. Bad play by him. Bad play by Gardiner in not TELLING WN who to take. Then bad play by Gardiner to allow the pass across.

I will say it till I am blue in the face, DON'T ALLOW THE PASS ACROSS...EVER. Manning allowed it on the 2-1 when Simmer lost the puck and Neuvirth bailed him out with a hi-lite save. Gudas allowed it when Manning got caught in no man's land puck watching and again, Neuvirth made a great save...then another when Manning almost kicked it in.

Rielly also let the pass across on the Simmonds goal. See a trend?

Hagg whiffed on a hit where he didn't take the man or the puck right in the high slot. He also had Gauthier and let him go who then scored.

These things are easy to see and admit. Some people just don't want to.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just watch this recap and all the defensive mistakes that led to chances or goals...and who is on the ice. This was 2 teams with some bad Dmen playing. Neuvirth saved us last night.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's really easy for people to be honest with what happens, it just doesn't happen.

Ghost obviously ****ed up. Hell, we all heard him scream it when it happened. But with Ghost and our good players, they bring so much positives, it outweighs the mistakes. Guys like Manning and AMac, that doesn't happen.

Marner...yup...bad play by him, good one by Patrick.

Nylander...I said it on the main boards last night...all he had to do was stay with Couts and let Gardiner take TK. Bad play by him. Bad play by Gardiner in not TELLING WN who to take. Then bad play by Gardiner to allow the pass across.

I will say it till I am blue in the face, DON'T ALLOW THE PASS ACROSS...EVER. Manning allowed it on the 2-1 when Simmer lost the puck and Neuvirth bailed him out with a hi-lite save. Gudas allowed it when Manning got caught in no man's land puck watching and again, Neuvirth made a great save...then another when Manning almost kicked it in.

Rielly also let the pass across on the Simmonds goal. See a trend?

Hagg whiffed on a hit where he didn't take the man or the puck right in the high slot. He also had Gauthier and let him go who then scored.

These things are easy to see and admit. Some people just don't want to.

And Hagg also timed a pass to a wide open shooter on a PP play and blocked it, saving a goal.
Ghost should make more plays than Hagg or Manning, he's a better player.
But if you're gonna point out Manning's screwups, be honest and point out when Ghost screws up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad