Post-Game Talk: #45 | Maple Leafs 2 at FLYERS 3 (OT) | Thu., Jan. 18, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m going to guess that going from playing with guys lower in the lineup to playing with Couturier & Giroux has had a way bigger impact.

He really should be on the PP given the amount of junk on the second unit & the lack of production.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
My hope is TK stays relatively hot for the rest of the season and can get 30+ pts. He's only got 17 in 45, but he's been getting them lately.

I wonder if removing him from the PP actually has helped. Let him focus 5v5.

He should hit that no prob if he stays on the first line. I hope so too as it should mean a 50+ season next year which would be great.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Fun game on a fun night to honour the guy who is the sole reason I began cheering for the Orange and Black. One of hockey's great "what ifs".

Pretty sure I read that at Lindros first retirement he was sixth all time in points per game behind only 66, 99, Mike Bossy, Jaromir Jagr, and Peter Stasny.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
My hope is TK stays relatively hot for the rest of the season and can get 30+ pts. He's only got 17 in 45, but he's been getting them lately.

I wonder if removing him from the PP actually has helped. Let him focus 5v5.
If would be huge for this team if TK can keep the fire burning.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost had a good game, except for the uh, mistake that led to the first goal.
The second goal was fluky, bounced up, everyone lost sight of it, Hagg had his man tied up but he shot it weakly through his legs and Neuvirth basically blew it, his only mistake of the game.
Though when will a Flyer goalie actually stop a breakaway? It's getting weird, we can't score on breakaways and our goalies can't stop them!

If you give Lehtera two fast linemates he can look decent as they occupy the puck while he catches up to the play.

The third period might be the Flyer's best period of the season, or at least up there, they were flying, as good as Neuvirth played, Anderson played just as well. Really good forechecking, keeping the puck in the O-zone.

Patrick definitely looks much quicker than a month ago, he's not going to be 100% this year, but if he gets to 90% that's a big boost. He has the entire package, with legs and an offseason to add strength, he's gonna be in beast mode next season. The spirit was willing but the legs were weak, now that he can skate I think he's going to finish this season strong.

Couts played 24 minutes, that's too much, Patrick played 13:30, even if he gets up to 15 or so, they have to play Laughton more, but he's not this huge upgrade over Filppula, other than forechecking, I'm not sure he brings much, certainly not playmaking skills.

Raffl is a beast, he's a perfect example why forechecking and winning board battles are the key for most players, even with his below average offensive skills, he's a valuable addition to any line. He's not huge, but he's big enough, and has the biggest heart on the team. If he could actually shoot a puck he'd be an elite player.

Gudas is finally getting over his post-suspension funk, when he was being too careful and lost his edge, the snarl is returning.

Konecny got lucky on that pass to win the game, had two Flyers allowed that pass, there would be 6 pages of ranting, especially if one of the Flyers was Manning or MacDonald - that was simply bad defense, a good pass but it never should have made it to Couts.

And the entire team should start chanting "shoot the damn puck" every time someone has a clear lane from 15 feet, so many bad passes off good shooting opportunities.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I’m going to guess that going from playing with guys lower in the lineup to playing with Couturier & Giroux has had a way bigger impact.

He really should be on the PP given the amount of junk on the second unit & the lack of production.
As comparison, I agree. But sometimes I wonder if coaches take a simple approach.

Lets do 1 thing great right now. Once that's mastered, lets go to the next thing. Honestly they look like they just are back to punting the 2nd power play again.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Ghost had a good game, except for the uh, mistake that led to the first goal.
The second goal was fluky, bounced up, everyone lost sight of it, Hagg had his man tied up but he shot it weakly through his legs and Neuvirth basically blew it, his only mistake of the game.
Though when will a Flyer goalie actually stop a breakaway? It's getting weird, we can't score on breakaways and our goalies can't stop them!

If you give Lehtera two fast linemates he can look decent as they occupy the puck while he catches up to the play.

The third period might be the Flyer's best period of the season, or at least up there, they were flying, as good as Neuvirth played, Anderson played just as well. Really good forechecking, keeping the puck in the O-zone.

Patrick definitely looks much quicker than a month ago, he's not going to be 100% this year, but if he gets to 90% that's a big boost. He has the entire package, with legs and an offseason to add strength, he's gonna be in beast mode next season. The spirit was willing but the legs were weak, now that he can skate I think he's going to finish this season strong.

Couts played 24 minutes, that's too much, Patrick played 13:30, even if he gets up to 15 or so, they have to play Laughton more, but he's not this huge upgrade over Filppula, other than forechecking, I'm not sure he brings much, certainly not playmaking skills.

Raffl is a beast, he's a perfect example why forechecking and winning board battles are the key for most players, even with his below average offensive skills, he's a valuable addition to any line. He's not huge, but he's big enough, and has the biggest heart on the team. If he could actually shoot a puck he'd be an elite player.

Gudas is finally getting over his post-suspension funk, when he was being too careful and lost his edge, the snarl is returning.

Konecny got lucky on that pass to win the game, had two Flyers allowed that pass, there would be 6 pages of ranting, especially if one of the Flyers was Manning or MacDonald - that was simply bad defense, a good pass but it never should have made it to Couts.

And the entire team should start chanting "shoot the damn puck" every time someone has a clear lane from 15 feet, so many bad passes off good shooting opportunities.

Konecny made that pass because he's one of the few players that had the balls to make it. We need more ballsy players and less "safe" players.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

Historically, everyone has played better with Coots.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
As comparison, I agree. But sometimes I wonder if coaches take a simple approach.

Lets do 1 thing great right now. Once that's mastered, lets go to the next thing. Honestly they look like they just are back to punting the 2nd power play again.

I’m sure it’s the motivation. I just highly doubt it has any impact & ultimately is just counterproductive for all involved. The goal should be to putting your players in position best for them & best for the team.

Reactions: Hiesenberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Historically, everyone has played better with Coots.

I think we'll see the Couts effect with Patrick and Frost and Vorobyev.

That is, a smart center who can control the pace of the game, is responsible defensively, has good ice vision and is unselfish will make his linemates better. Couts has been doing this for at least three years, and we're starting to see this with Patrick as he regains his legs.

I think that's one reason Hextall traded B Schenn, he didn't have those qualities at center and was less valuable as a RW.

And you see that problem with Filppula, whose skills have eroded, and Laughton, who doesn't elevate his linemates (Raffl on the other hand, elevated the play of the 4th line, which hasn't been the same since he was promoted).

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I didn't mean to sound antagonistic, but I was just pointing out that they are right with each other on statistical merit. You could make the claim Couturier is already at a similar level to Bergeron. Has no bearing on Bergy's HoF career and terrific year this year. In reality, no doubt Bergeron has the advantage from a voter's standpoint, since no one gives a hoot about expected GF% or stuff like that. A nomination is nice enough, since that's basically a torch passing in and of itself. But you have a player like Kopitar also touted as the leading candidate, when in reality his scoring numbers are coming at the expense of defense. Like the Gold Gloves, these aren't the most rigorously determined awards.

I was just checking your page because of Lindros - saw a couple of you guys talking about Couturier.

I'm thrilled Couturier has taken that next step. He'd be a great Selke winner and it's definitely a two-horse race in my opinion. (towards your Kopitar mention - agreed - it's like the year Kesler won it while Maholtra was doing all the heavy lifting)
Voting wise - ? I'd think you guys have to make the playoffs (which I hope you do) for him to win. When Kopitar won - I think a lot came down to Bruins missing the playoffs 2 straight years. With Boston climbing the standings lately they're getting noticed and more people are talking about Bergeron's line - so he's going to get hyped up more than he already does. I'll definitely be watching to see how it plays out over the next two months.

Good luck to you guys. Really hope you make the playoffs - and if you miss - I hope you or Anaheim win the lottery and get Dahlin. y'know - teams that try to be competitive every year. Sick of these tank teams.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Your "Lesser know guy from Arizona" (Couturier, born in Phoenix) beat our "more well know guy from Arizona" (Matthews).

Congrats !

Whole game was a game of mistakes ... all 5 goals.
Typical hockey game.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Your "Lesser know guy from Arizona" (Couturier, born in Phoenix) beat our "more well know guy from Arizona" (Matthews).

Congrats !

Whole game was a game of mistakes ... all 5 goals.
Typical hockey game.

:laugh: I always forget Couturier is born in Arizona.

I reckon Berlin has more of a claim to him being a famous son than Phoenix though. ;)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I get annoyed sometimes that Couts can't play for Team US in the future. Think of him behind Mathews and Eichel.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I get annoyed sometimes that Couts can't play for Team US in the future. Think of him behind Mathews and Eichel.

I mean, he left America at age 4.

He lived in Germany longer than he did America and learnt to skate and play hockey there!

And then moved back to Canada right around his 8th birthday and lived in Montreal briefly before being in Bathurst from age ~9...

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I mean, he left America at age 4.

He lived in Germany longer than he did America and learnt to skate and play hockey there!

And then moved back to Canada right around his 8th birthday and lived in Montreal briefly before being in Bathurst from age ~9...

He's american blood Alex, don't start with me man.

Reactions: Appleyard

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Even in their brief look, the Lehtera-Laughton-Voracek line was pretty dominant, if thats not good enough reason to give Laughton a chance with two good wingers I dont know what is. Either Raffl or Linblom should be LW

Reactions: Magua

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad