GDT: #44 | Panthers @ Oilers | Jan 10, 7:00 PM | TV: SN-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I actually think that the Oilers still have a good shot at the playoffs. It all relies on the next 10 games though. Pretty much all the the teams we play are bad:

:panthers
17-17-7
Lost 3 in a row
Most recent game 5-1 loss vs Penguins

:coyotes
18-21-3
Lost 3 of last 4
Lost 6 of last 7 vs Oilers

:sabres
23 - 14 - 6
Good record, but Eichel injury has them struggling to score.

:nucks
20 - 21 - 4
Lost 3 of last 4
Most recent game 5-0 loss vs Toronto
Injury to Petterson, leading scorer.

:flames
28-13-4
Good team, but Oilers always show up against them
Lost 8 of last 11 vs Oilers

:canes
20-17-5
Not a bad team, but definitely beatable.
We usually get depth scoring against them - most recently a 7-3 win, with McDavid mustering just 1 assist.

:wings
16-22-7
Won 1 of last 8
Dropped 3 of last 4 vs Oilers

:flyers
15-22-6
League-worst goaltending
8 game losing streak

:habs
23-16-5
Soft team that struggles VS West
Lost last game vs Oilers 7-2

:hawks
16-22-18
1-4 in their last 5
Awful defense, bad goaltending with Crawford out long term.

All of these games seem very winnable. If we can win 7 of those 10, we should probably have a wild card spot. I don't see the playoffs as a long shot at all considering this stretch of games.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As for the GDT itself... I had one idea in mind: to neutralize the opponent before the Oilers play them. I've got a feeling it will spark a winning streak. So the Panther will get shot and Barkov will get squashed.

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 9.28.20 AM.png

Projected Lines:

:edmonton

Chiasson - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Rieder - Khaira - Kassian
Spooner - Brodziak - Rattie

Jones - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Gravel - Benning (Petrovic out, concussion)

Talbot

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
Vatrano - Borgstrom - Hoffman
Brouwer - McCann - Malgin
Hawryluk - Lammiko - Sceviour

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Pysyk
Kiselevich - Weegar

Riemer

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GOilers!!!

EDIT: I just watched highlights of the Panthers last 3 games, and my god they are a mess. Yandle's playing like trash, and Luongo can't save a beach ball. Their PP is awful, they leak more chances against than they create. Offense isn't bad though, we should watch out for their top line. Defense is a mess overall.

Edit 2: Riemer starting

Edit 3: Lines, Talbot starting.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Nice GDT. Hope it works. A 10 game win streak is what we need.

I think they should do

Chiasson - McDavid - Draisaitl
Rieder - Khaira - Kassian

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Yotes are bad but play decent against the Oil when they want or get lucky, same as the wings.

Canes and Panthers can score.

Flames will be a test as they've come out to play lately.

Hopefully the Flyers don't play Hart that game. Kid is good.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yup. I like Kassian there, but Khaira tries to do WAY too much. Kassian works because he plays a simple game and gets it to McDavid.
He was also a bozo without the puck. I think last game was the worst game I have seen him play. I still like Kassian up there, he understands the game at that level.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Too many 3rd and 4th line wingers on this team. That wing depth is pathetic.

Good game day thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I just watched highlights of the Panthers last 3 games, and my god they are a mess. Yandle's playing like trash, and Luongo can't save a beach ball. Their PP is awful, they leak more chances against than they create. Offense isn't bad though, we should watch out for their top line. Defense is a mess overall.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I just watched highlights of the Panthers last 3 games, and my god they are a mess. Yandle's playing like trash, and Luongo can't save a beach ball. Their PP is awful, they leak more chances against than they create. Offense isn't bad though, we should watch out for their top line. Defense is a mess overall.
So they are the Oilers of the east. Fantastic.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Is it me or does McDavid look less dynamic these days? Not really seeing highlight reel stuff from him lately.
Most of McDavid's highlight reel plays come against the Eastern conference teams. It could be because teams in the West are bigger and play tighter defense, but If you watch McDavid highlight videos, the majority of the plays come against the East. Just 3 out of their last 27 games have been played against those teams, so his dynamic plays would have been limited slightly. However, 6 out of the Oilers next 10 are in the East, so there's a chance McDavid will look even more superhuman than usual.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
I actually think that the Oilers still have a good shot at the playoffs. It all relies on the next 10 games though. Pretty much all the the teams we play are bad:

17-17-7
Lost 3 in a row
Most recent game 5-1 loss vs Penguins

:coyotes
18-21-3
Lost 3 of last 4
Lost 6 of last 7 vs Oilers

:sabres
23 - 14 - 6
Good record, but Eichel injury has them struggling to score.

:nucks
20 - 21 - 4
Lost 3 of last 4
Most recent game 5-0 loss vs Toronto
Injury to Petterson, leading scorer.

:flames
28-13-4
Good team, but Oilers always show up against them
Lost 8 of last 11 vs Oilers

:canes
20-17-5
Not a bad team, but definitely beatable.
We usually get depth scoring against them - most recently a 7-3 win, with McDavid mustering just 1 assist.

:wings
16-22-7
Won 1 of last 8
Dropped 3 of last 4 vs Oilers

:flyers
15-22-6
League-worst goaltending
8 game losing streak

:habs
23-16-5
Soft team that struggles VS West
Lost last game vs Oilers 7-2

:hawks
16-22-18
1-4 in their last 5
Awful defense, bad goaltending with Crawford out long term.

All of these games seem very winnable. If we can win 7 of those 10, we should probably have a wild card spot. I don't see the playoffs as a long shot at all considering this stretch of games.

As for the GDT itself... I had one idea in mind: to neutralize the opponent before the Oilers play them. I've got a feeling it will spark a winning streak. So the Panther will get shot and Barkov will get squashed.

View attachment 173953

Projected Lines:

:edmonton

Khaira - McDavid - Kassian
Rieder - Draisaitl - Chiasson

Jones - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Gravel - Benning (Petrovic out, concussion)

Koskinen

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
Vatrano - Borgstrom - Hoffman
Brouwer - McCann - Malgin
Hawryluk - Lammiko - Sceviour

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Pysyk
Kiselevich - Weegar

Riemer

GOilers!!!

EDIT: I just watched highlights of the Panthers last 3 games, and my god they are a mess. Yandle's playing like trash, and Luongo can't save a beach ball. Their PP is awful, they leak more chances against than they create. Offense isn't bad though, we should watch out for their top line. Defense is a mess overall.

Edit 2: Riemer starting
Alright let's go, lemme tell ya, this @ConnorMcMullet kid is something. Always ready, always creative. Doesn't write unnecessary stuff. That's the kind of GDT poster you want to have on your board. Unbelievable I tell ya. *begins to scream* WHAT DO WE HAVE NEXT? Another GDT? Come on, pick it up. - Don Cherry

Thx for your effort. Always appreciated.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Alright let's go, lemme tell ya, this @ConnorMcMullet kid is something. Always ready, always creative. Doesn't write unnecessary stuff. That's the kind of GDT poster you want to have on your board. Unbelievable I tell ya. *begins to scream* WHAT DO WE HAVE NEXT? Another GDT? Come on, pick it up. - Don Cherry

Thx for your effort. Always appreciated.
THEN WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU LIKE THAT POST???

Lol jk, thanks for the kind words. People like you are why I take time to make them. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HandsUpForBelchior
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad