Post-Game Talk: #44| FLYERS at Capitals | Wed., Jan. 14, 2015|

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Game was a perfect example of what Berube has done to this team.

Every TV timeout with an offensive zone draw had the fourth line out for the draw. Defensive zone draw after a TV timeout had the Giroux line out. Way to put your players in the best possible position to succeed, Chief.

Oh and way to p***yfy your team. Your 20 year old rookie gets rocked and you commend your team for not even saying a ****ing word to Niskanen. Promotes a real "stand up for your teammates" mentality.

Get this ****ing moron away from this club before he can damage them more.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I don't really care about the non response about Laughton. It was a clean hit, so whatever. I would've preferred some energy after it, but it really doesn't matter. They played a good game and it was a clean hit.

People talk like players go around murdering each other after big hits. They don't. Usually there's a big scrum that delays the game and maybe some gruff throughout the game, mostly verbal. That's literally the worst "retribution" that you can expect to happen nowadays and it's probably the right way to go about it.

The Bruins haven't given a **** about going after guys after 50/50 hits for the last couple of years. Go figure that they've also been one of most successful teams in the league in that time frame.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
The hits fine.

Lack of response is not.

Somebody lays that hit you pummel them into submission along the boards or run them in open ice.

This team doesnt act like a threat and the way we play we certainly arent one.

The passive response is especially troubling since they injured Grossmann in the previous match. Berube may be preaching restraint, but that locker room must be emotionally sterile.

Hexy better put Laughton back in LV if his Flyers team mates are going to let his head get smashed in a meaningless game.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
The passive response is especially troubling since they injured Grossmann in the previous match. Berube may be preaching restraint, but that locker room must be emotionally sterile.

Hexy better put Laughton back in LV if his Flyers team mates are going to let his head get smashed in a meaningless game.

Yeah, it's strange how almost no one stands up for each other anymore. Pretty drastic turn around from seasons past. I understand trying to draw back on penalties, but we're complete push overs now. Seems like every game we're just getting pushed around with no fight on our part.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, it's strange how almost no one stands up for each other anymore. Pretty drastic turn around from seasons past. I understand trying to draw back on penalties, but we're complete push overs now. Seems like every game we're just getting pushed around with no fight on our part.
Pretty much. For it to be so much of a 180, you have to believe that it's coaching mentality.

I can understand losing. It's embarrassing when you lose and also get pushed around with no fight.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Pretty much. For it to be so much of a 180, you have to believe that it's coaching mentality.

I can understand losing. It's embarrassing when you lose and also get pushed around with no fight.

Prime example is the Jets, coach has turned the team into a playoff team and they have a crazy pack mentality whenever anyone on their team gets hit or pushed around. They all stand up for each other like we used to. Berube happy about no response is proof it's all on him.

We are 100% the softest team in the nhl and other teams know it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Berube's even managed to turn Simmonds into a *****. The guy doesn't have much of an aggressive bone in his body this year. He used to protect our goalie's crease like no other but that doesn't really happen this year. The guy looks tame even when he does something physical or emotional.

Maybe not in terms of results but this team is the worst Flyers team I've watched in my life. They don't win much & they lack any type of emotion. I'm not looking for a Rinaldo or a Rosehill in the lineup I just want our guys to go back to the way they played last year when there was no fear of taking penalties. I'll gladly accept the more PP goals by the opposing team just to see that they can at least with play with some passion & edge to their game.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think the lack of response might partly be related to how much they're losing. When they're losing as much as they are, and the games are usually close, they're probably horrified of taking a bad penalty and causing a loss or preventing a comeback. Obviously not all retaliations or physicality requires penalty worthy actions, but I bet they don't want to risk it. It's not like you can count on refs for consistency when it comes to calls either. Maybe you go after the guy who hits your rookie and you get called for retaliating, they score on the PP, and the team suffers by losing again.

I'm not saying I agree with this type of mentality, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was part of the problem.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Bruins haven't given a **** about going after guys after 50/50 hits for the last couple of years. Go figure that they've also been one of most successful teams in the league in that time frame.

that has little to do with why Boston has been successful. That "don't poke the Bear" thing is laughable.
I think if the game was out of hand something might have been done about Nistakanen. It was a one goal game. no need to take a stupid penalty and face it if they would of done something the Caps would of had a PP. The Flyers will play them again. you take a number and look for him in the next game.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Berube's even managed to turn Simmonds into a *****. The guy doesn't have much of an aggressive bone in his body this year. He used to protect our goalie's crease like no other but that doesn't really happen this year. The guy looks tame even when he does something physical or emotional.

Maybe not in terms of results but this team is the worst Flyers team I've watched in my life. They don't win much & they lack any type of emotion. I'm not looking for a Rinaldo or a Rosehill in the lineup I just want our guys to go back to the way they played last year when there was no fear of taking penalties. I'll gladly accept the more PP goals by the opposing team just to see that they can at least with play with some passion & edge to their game.

I need to watch that old school Calgary/Anaheim line brawl to see what classic Berube is all about.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
I missed the game; I take it Zepp played pretty well?

Losing sucks, but I think I'm more disappointed Giroux and Voracek didn't get any points. :)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would go from wanting a new coach to wanting a new GM on top of it.

No doubt. If Hextall extends him then he's just as stupid as Berube and the team would be swimming up stream until both of them leave.

But I feel fairly confident Berube's gone at the end of the year.

The one scenario that I worry about is where they go after Babcock really aggressively, fall short, and then all the other options are gone so they settle for Berube. That would be horrible.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Mr. Snider taking care of the Family. It wont be Hextalls call IMO

I wouldn't buy that. Paul Holmgren was fired after three years, Terry Murrary was fired after three years, Bill Barber was fired after two years, & John Stevens was fired after three years.

Snider has signed off on some pretty quick firings of former players as coaches. He did it back then & now he's in his remaining years giving him even more reason to be impatient with bad results.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3