Post-Game Talk: #43 | Flyers at Jets | January 13, 2024 | Flyers win 2-0

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Think about it.

A 7 D 11 F lineup missing 2 players on their top line/pairing (although Jets are missing 2 of their own very best) on a back to back that had them arrive early this morning to beat the very hottest teamand very firstest team in the NHL at home versus the best vet goalie in the league and the best team playing a determined style similar to the Flyers.

Still half expecting them to not make the playoffs, it is a tough competition. But wow, they work their butts off. ANd they deserve our admiration as fans, they are delivering fully on the expectations of fans, for the players on the roster.

P.S. As this was probably part of HNIC in Canada, just wait for the belated accolades to shower down too. They should still be a seller...but this is great team chemistry right now, and it is playoff ready I suspect. Not a Cup winner...but not an automatic 1st round loser either.

Good for the players, and their coaches, they are demonstrating their quality.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Beating one of the best teams in the league without 2 excellent players in Couts and Drysdale.....not to shabby.....What have they done with our Flyers of yesteryear and who is this team that continues to stun us?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So is trading Hart for a 1st round pick or somebody really young, good and cheap a possibility? Advisable? Can Ersson be a #1 as good or better than Hart? Another 1st round pick would be amazing and another swing at a #1 center for the future.

The math I'm using is as follows: is the difference between Hart and Ersson anywhere close to the difference in their cap hits when Hart signs a new deal?

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
The math I'm using is as follows: is the difference between Hart and Ersson anywhere close to the difference in their cap hits when Hart signs a new deal?
are you leaning into any direction? your thoughts are welcome. I myself am happy to keep both goalies until Hart's salary is the last barrier to a big lineup improvement.

I also hear some reports that the Cad juniors under investigation are somehow restricted in their tradeability? Which I have no idea if it's true, but I have heard it suggested.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
And the return in a deal. Lower cap hit, #1 and solid prospect?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If there's a huge offer for Hart you would obviously have to think about it. But for now I'm really enjoying having two reliable goalies that both can win you games. No nervous "Oh no, this guy's playing tonight?" feelings.

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
I was at game tonight... friggin awesome as a Flyer fan in the Peg. A couple thoughts...seeing it live, Staal is terrible, mostly because hes slow. And some questionable plays, maybe because hes slow. And have to say, the puck spent alot of time in Flyer end when deslaurier out. Coincidence? Whatever...love it. Hanged on in third, but Helly made some saves in first couple periods to keep it close. He doesnt let weak ones in.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Son of Ers! Son of Ers! Son of Ers! Son of Ers!

Also, I found this lost file in my downloads weeks ago, but he hasn't scored a goal since I found it:

View attachment 802739

Way to find your Lambo, Cambo....x2. You still need to retire. :laugh:

In another year, this would have been a huge win. Three games in 4 nights, two on the road back to back, with the final game against the team with the best record in the league, all wins.... this year, I'm not sure what it means. :laugh:
Wait until @Captain Dave Poulin sees the opponent Monday night.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Wait until @Captain Dave Poulin sees the opponent Monday night.
@Captain Dave Poulin when the realization hits.

200w.gif

trigzter

Feb 3, 2011
PA
this god forsaken team is gonna sneak their way into the playoffs wont they...they wont sell at the deadline unless cam goes for a 4th and the cycle of mediocrity will continue

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They'll sell simply b/c they have too many D-men, but I'm thinking instead of picks they might try to put a package together for a young center. The other alternative is a trade where they take an overpriced veteran center and get additional assets for eating salary where the player is still an upgrade over Laughton at center. A decent 3C could make this close to a top 8 team.

Got to bite the bullet and accept this is a legitimate playoff team, go on the road and win a back to back with the second game against the hottest team in the NHL? At some point it's no longer a fluke.

Rest of season they play all their games in the Eastern time zone except I think a Chicago game and maybe St Louis, no long road trips so the schedule is far more favorable. Couts could use a game or two off and Drysdale is still trying to figure out the system - so when they return team is that much stronger.

With the Lycksell - Laczynski - Toumaala line red hot and Attard stepping up, depth is a car drive away.

Brink is limited, on anything but a scoring role he's a liability, and they lack that 3C to carry him. Frost is stepping up when needed, maybe he did need a kick in the butt to realize he shouldn't just show up but be the straw that stirs the drink. And Risto really is a good defensive defenseman - just deal with it. Atkinson did what a veteran scorer should do - score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad