Prospect Info: # 42 Patrick Sieloff

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Weak. Better Dmen were there and this guy is a Wotherspoon clone...not happy with this.

I disagree with you:
This is from the hockey news..
"He's probably the best open-ice hitter in the draft" the scout said. "It's like he has sacks of dynamite in his shoulder pads."

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I disagree with you:
This is from the hockey news..
"He's probably the best open-ice hitter in the draft" the scout said. "It's like he has sacks of dynamite in his shoulder pads."

He sounds like a newer version of Regehr which if true would be a good pick.

I think the reason people are unhappy is we didn't pick chl players or the big names but to me that is impressive is that this scouting staff believes that they have found some great players that others may have over looked and they stuck to their list.

OMA

Mar 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This guy seems more like a Sarich than a Regehr to me.

I'll readily admit that I haven't seen this guy play and this is purely based on internet reading.... but it sounds like Sieloff is a lot more mobile than Sarich is (Love Sarich but the guy has heavy feet).

I do wish they had gone with a bit more skill in the 2nd round but it seems like they wanted to emphasize nasty/hard to play against while still finding a dman that could play in an uptempo game.... this isn't a bad pick from that standpoint.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'll readily admit that I haven't seen this guy play and this is purely based on internet reading.... but it sounds like Sieloff is a lot more mobile than Sarich is (Love Sarich but the guy has heavy feet).

I do wish they had gone with a bit more skill in the 2nd round but it seems like they wanted to emphasize nasty/hard to play against while still finding a dman that could play in an uptempo game.... this isn't a bad pick from that standpoint.

Mhm, hes a good player I just don't think its what we needed in the 2nd round.

Doogee

Cammy!
May 30, 2009
Melbourne
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...ry.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Good news for Calgary Flames fans. Not only does Patrick Sieloff admire Niklas Kronwall — bashing blueliner of the Detroit Red Wings — he plays like him, too.

“I grew up watching Niklas Kronwall,†said Sieloff, an Ann Arbor, Mich., native. “He’s the guy I liked to model my game after. He can change the momentum of a game with a hit or a play. He’s a guy I look up to.

“I’m an open-ice hitter. I look for that hit. I will contribute a little offensively, but that’s not really my game — it’s more playing against the top line and going after those guys.â€

Sieloff — secured in the second round, 42nd overall, by the Flames at the National Hockey League draft — is expected to bring that edge to the NHL, despite being only six feet tall.

One scout told The Hockey News: “He’s probably the best open-ice hitter in the draft. It’s like he has sacks of dynamite in his shoulder pads.â€

Added another bird-dog: “You have to wonder how often he can run into six-foot-four, 220-pound guys and keep getting the best of it. He’s not big for the way he plays.â€

After a season of belting the enemy in the USHL, Sieloff had lined up a scholarship to Miami (Ohio) University. Now, though, he’s bound for the nearby Windsor Spitfires of the Ontario Hockey League. But Saturday morning, he was focused on savouring his draft moment.

“An awesome feeling,†said Sieloff, 18. “It’s a dream come true. My childhood dream. You want to get drafted and play in the NHL, but it starts here. This is just the starting point of it. But throwing on the jersey is awesome. I’m really excited about today. I couldn’t be any happier.

“I can’t get the smile off my face.â€

Other smiley faces on the Consol Energy Center premises belonged to goalie Jon Gillies (75th), defenceman Ryan Culkin (124th), centre Matthew Deblouw (186th). Only two of the Flames’ seven picks — defenceman Brett Kulak (105th), right-winger Coda Gordon (165th) — weren’t in the house.

Culkin’s crew created enough ruckus for everyone.

When the Flames made him their fifth-round pick, a roar erupted around the young man.

“I was nervous, excited, anxious — and my parents were probably worse,†said Culkin, a Montreal native who skates for the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL. “But once you hear your name, the butterflies go away. You’re just so happy.

“I love the Calgary Flames and I can’t wait to get started.â€

Scouting reports have suggested that Culkin may be a diamond in the rough.

The boy himself agrees.

“I’m still going to develop, I’m still going to get bigger, I’m still going to get stronger, I’m still going to be better,†said Culkin. “So I know I’m probably an under-rated player in the Q. I have to prove myself to all of the other guys.â€

Asked to describe himself on the ice, Culkin didn’t hesitate.

“Great hockey sense. I make a great first pass out of the zone. I love to be the fourth forward on the ice, but I take pride in my D zone.â€

Having one of the longest waits was Deblouw, who did not get selected until the seventh round.

“It was a long day . . . but it finally happened,†said the Chesterfield, Mich., native “I’m thankful for everyone who’s been a part of this. It’s a good feeling — all the work paid off.

Deblouw, who’s headed to Michigan State University in the fall, is a two-way pivot after two seasons with the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the USHL.

“We feel that this guy has some real upside,†said John Weisbrod, theFlames’ assistant general manager. “Some substance, some gumption, in his game. Abrasiveness.â€

[email protected] Follow Scott Cruickshank on Twitter/CruickshankCH

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Surprised no one's made this comparison yet - Giordano. Same size, same abrasiveness, same shooting hand, same leadership.

OrrwastheBeatles

Oct 11, 2011
With Trouba ranked top 5 at the time, and Jones on the squad, I watched as much of the US under 18s as I could.

Trouba didn't wow me and over and over, I kept noticing Sieloff . I had never heard of him before, but in the two games against Canada, he was dominant.

Reminded me of Regehr in the sense that, if you tried to take the puck wide on his side, you quickly discovered that it was a dead-end street that ended in pain. However, I thought he was more mobile than Regehr.

Also, good first pass. Would be nice if he was about6'3" - then I would say he reminds me of Scott Stevens.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Surprised no one's made this comparison yet - Giordano. Same size, same abrasiveness, same shooting hand, same leadership.

Agreed with InfinityIggy. Sieloff is probably more physical and intimidating than Giordano. However, at this point, his offensive potential is not very well known and probably not anywhere close to Giordano's.

The good thing is, Sieloff will be the number one defensemen on the Windsor Spitfires squad next year. Plenty of opportunity for improvement and an offensive role on what I feel is the best program in the CHL.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Agreed with InfinityIggy. Sieloff is probably more physical and intimidating than Giordano. However, at this point, his offensive potential is not very well known and probably not anywhere close to Giordano's.

The good thing is, Sieloff will be the number one defensemen on the Windsor Spitfires squad next year. Plenty of opportunity for improvement and an offensive role on what I feel is the best program in the CHL.

The nice thing about a D-man like Sieloff is that already had the D-side of his game down pat, meaning he can focus on his offensive game next season. Ala: Shea Weber.

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
sorry for the slight zombie on this, but has this guy signed a deal? (working on my fantasy gm stuff and drafted him- would like to know for my spread sheet)

please and thanks :)

RA9

Dec 30, 2009
sorry for the slight zombie on this, but has this guy signed a deal? (working on my fantasy gm stuff and drafted him- would like to know for my spread sheet)

please and thanks :)

I dont think so, 2nd rounder typically don't sign elcs months after being drafted.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Two things:

1. Hockey News Magazine has a good article on Sieloff near the back. Check it out.

2. Does anyone know when Hockeysfuture.com prospect rankings will come out? I've seen some prospects drafted already up... example: TT, Dumba, ect.

I'm thinking Patty will be 7C and Janko 8D

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3