Post-Game Talk: #42 | Flyers at Wild | January 12, 2024 | Flyers win 4-3 (OT)

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Our Champion

IMG_0790.jpeg

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
It’s crazy the difference between this season and last. Maybe they run out of steam but nobody can say they haven’t played hard and well. I suppose I forgot what a difference Couts makes. He should get the Masterton trophy. I thought he’s be a shadow of his former self

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Very enjoyable win.

Tortorella has significant flaws, particularly lineup decisions and lack of action with the power play, but in sum I think he is a very good coach. The Flyers have to play hard to win because the lineup is just not great, and they definitely play hard.

Tortorella definitely knows how to motivate most players. There is merit to rewarding hard work and punishing laziness and stupid decisions. Atkinson has struggled, but he's playing hard, and he's a veteran that should be able to find his hands eventually - but is all that ice time really necessary to get there? And none of this explains 11 forwards and Staal though.

This lineup would be better of course. Maybe switch the wingers around I don't know.

Farabee-Couturier-Konecny
Tippett-Frost-Brink
Foerster-Cates-Atkinson
Poehling-Laughton-Hathaway

Sanheim-Drysdale
York-Walker
Seeler-Ristolainen

Their success this season certainly is surprising (Couturier) but the rest shouldn't be that shocking. Poehling, Hathaway, Walker and another year of maturity from Frost, Brink, Foerster, Cates, York, Zamula are huge. Guys like Hayes, JVR and Provorov wasted so much f***ing ice time last season.

Factor in Drysdale, and these are the reasons I get so annoyed with all the misery and bitching on this board. It would be interesting to see the difference in the Post Game Thread page counts after wins vs losses, if there is a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: gto64dr

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
At least Atkinson was good for something tonight. Drawing that penalty in OT.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
It’s crazy the difference between this season and last. Maybe they run out of steam but nobody can say they haven’t played hard and well. I suppose I forgot what a difference Couts makes. He should get the Masterton trophy. I thought he’s be a shadow of his former self
I can't like posts for some reason so like. If he keeps it up Couturier for Masterton is obvious.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You can tell Rocko hasn't had a PP video session with Drysdale yet. He'll get there. Also, I'm pretty sure Konecny was the one who screamed, "JUST SKATE IT!," on that PP entry. :laugh:

It's weird how that 4v3 looked nothing like every other PP I've seen this season. Zamula and Drysdale made a concerted effort to walk the puck, collapse the middle to force a decision, and hit Konecny at the face-off dot for one timers. Weird strategy, yeah?

I don’t think there has been a Flyer that I’ve just enjoyed watching him skate so much since Gags.

1705121992368.png

Would love to see this pair operate in non-7D minutes.

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Some random observations:

Zamula must not come out of the lineup. His ability to calm down play and get pucks through onto net are something that this team has been missing.

Onetimers: those two MIN goals were unstoppable and not a single player on the Flyers does have the confidence to regularly try some in that regard.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Zamula must not come out of the lineup. His ability to calm down play and get pucks through onto net are something that this team has been missing.

Onetimers: those two MIN goals were unstoppable and not a single player on the Flyers does have the confidence to regularly try some in that regard.

Those plays are actively discouraged by Tortorella. He hates cross-ice passing.

And that's fine, they're risky. It is better to only go straight north-south. Becoming one dimensional reduces how much I have to think and that's a service, really.

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg

Hartmans was indeed stoppable. He was there, just didn't seal correctly, he seems to have a problem with those.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Those plays are actively discouraged by Tortorella. He hates cross-ice passing.

And that's fine, they're risky. It is better to only go straight north-south. Becoming one dimensional reduces how much I have to think and that's a service, really.
If a player has elite skills and can execute such plays, Tortorella won't punish him.

That's why I'm not worried about Michkov playing for Torts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad