GDT: #42 – Sabres at Hurricanes – Fri Jan 13, 7:30PM ET – MSG-B

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I'm done. I'm going to take a few weeks away from this team, get some perspective. I can't watch this every night anymore.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Its too bad that everyone peaks mentally at 20.

No way to learn how to deal with things after those teen years are gone.

Jack's a bust
I don't think it's maturity. I think its how he was made. Some people can't handle adversity. It will be interesting to watch.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Please, that game didn't hold a candle to the loss in Brooklyn just before Christmas.

I'm sure being at the game in a 1/3 full building with dipsh*t Canes fans and listening to their nonsense has skewed my thoughts but this sucked.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Some back-checking aside, if he's not the worst defensive forward in the NHL right now, he's definitely in the conversation. He's young, so there's room to grow, but there's just so little want-to in his defensive play, especially when an opponent gets established in our zone - in addition to the natural lack of defensive awareness. He needs some ROR boot camp.

Some of this, yes. But there were moments where his backchecking, and particularly posture in back checking were so poor, if it were my kid we'd be having a conversation about respect at the dinner table that night. Like I said, I don't get to take in many games live, and it was definitely some behind the play posturing that really bugged me.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I've accepted the fact Eichel is a head case. I said it a long time ago. I know people don't like it but it's easy to see. Extremely talented, but mentally not all there.

He's not a headcase. He's immature, like most his age.

Stopping your effort in the middle of a shift is unacceptable. That's one thing I'll gladly get on him for.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
He's not a headcase. He's immature, like most his age.

Stopping your effort in the middle of a shift is unacceptable. That's one thing I'll gladly get on him for.

Just remember, its the same guy that calls out his team in the media. Add it all up, it wont end well.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I have already said I don't think its immaturity. Lets just move on because only time will tell. There are warning signs though.

Typing out one's buttocks has become rampant lately. What do you actual know about Eichel off the ice or in his past that indicates it's anything more than immaturity?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Missed this one. Decided to check HF before I checked the score.

See "Jack Eichel is not good enough" on the main boards.

And I knew.

Was he really that bad, or is it typical over reaction?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Typing out one's buttocks has become rampant lately. What do you actual know about Eichel off the ice or in his past that indicates it's anything more than immaturity?
As much as you. The simple fact we are having this discussion should be concerning. What makes it worse is the guy called out his team in the media and this is still a discussion. People want this guy to be captain by next year? Huh?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
What a horrible game. This team sucks. And Tim Murray gets no blame at all and is untouchable. Can't wait for a new Gm and coach

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I know a lot of you are riding high on Nilson but tonight he cost us the game. Defense sucks sure but a lot of those goals he should of had. One of those nights where he needed to steal the win for us and he didnt.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I know a lot of you are riding high on Nilson but tonight he cost us the game. Defense sucks sure but a lot of those goals he should of had. One of those nights where he needed to steal the win for us and he didnt.

He had one bad one to start, the rest were horrid defense

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
What a horrible game. This team sucks. And Tim Murray gets no blame at all and is untouchable. Can't wait for a new Gm and coach

What complete and utter nonsense. Just because everyone else isn't foaming at the mouth to fire the GM less than four seasons into his tenure doesn't mean that he "get no blame" or is "untouchable". For example, see all of the posts in this very forum detailing some of the shortcomings of this roster.

I for one would think that if someone were being shielded from criticism people wouldn't be calling for his head daily, but what do I know.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
He had one bad one to start, the rest were horrid defense
Bad Positioning on both Skinner goals. The only one he had no chance at was the Hanifin off the boards for a goal. The last two were a combination of bad defense and positioning.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Carolina's defense. They stifled the Sabres offense and transitioned the puck well. Skinner gets and open looked on a 2-on-1 and a breakaway.

Sabres can't get the puck out of their zone, can't transition.

Job 1. Change the system (probably means firing the head coach).

Job 2. Rebuild the defense with mobile puck movers. Trade for some, draft heavy on defense to create organizational depth (deep draft year for defenseman).

I could've written this four hours ago. It's been this way for a while.

You could probably participate in GDTs without even watching the games. That's how predictably bad this team is...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad