GDT: #42 – Sabres at Hurricanes – Fri Jan 13, 7:30PM ET – MSG-B

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Lol, Eichel with the extra long shift to end the game. Open disobedience to Bylsma?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
b86774e3add261f7f99907a14b00d5a662dc981ce0f2199ef42e8abab6aa76b3.jpg

Nice. :laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Bailey is gone before Monday. Under 7 mins TOI and the fumble on Carolina's 4th goal was a nice little turd on top of his night.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The fact that only about half our team (at most) shows up on a given night is a damning indictment of disco.
Also, as was the case last year around this time, ristos play is trending sharply downward because bylsma gives him Keith type minutes most games. Risto is good. He's not THAT good, nor is McCabe (and yes, Murray absolutely deserves some criticism for not addressing the D issue more over the off season)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
CF

Canes -> 50
Sabres -> 59

I guess you can win and not get crushed in possession because of the dreaded "score effects".

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Nothing like driving an hour and a half on your birthday to see maybe the worst Sabres game of the year.

Blysma has to go.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
First game I've taken in live in a while. The people who have been harping on Eichel's body language are correct. He looks like a primadonna out there. And as for giving him the C, it would be abhorrent.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Excuses are for losers. The Sabres are losers. They cannot handle a strong forecheck. Teams are putting their D half way up the boards challenging them and succeeding. They have special teams that often are not special. The players do not play as a team and lack urgency. You cannot fire the team although a few fans will walk away from the team now. You can fire the coach. May or may not be totally fair but to let this continue is madness. How many games have we won big? Moulson, Gionta, dependent on for goals? How many multi goal games for the stars of the future? How many goals from D? My issue is not with making the playoffs--it is the Sabres showing improvement and showcasing the Sabres of the future. To paraphrase Churchill : "some improvement. some showcase."

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
First game I've taken in live in a while. The people who have been harping on Eichel's body language are correct. He looks like a primadonna out there. And as for giving him the C, it would be abhorrent.

From the games I have seen he is hit or miss. He lollygags sometimes--not a true professional. He has to learn that his high skill level has to be combined with a sense of urgency and a do or die spirit every second he is on the ice.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
From the games I have seen he is hit or miss. He lollygags sometimes--not a true professional. He has to learn that his high skill level has to be combined with a sense of urgency and a do or die spirit every second he is on the ice.

Its a large part of why I want him with OReilly for a bit

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
This team reminds me of the 2011-12 Buffalo Sabres. They are talented but flawed in obvious ways. And, even though most teams are "talented but flawed," the Sabres are completely incapable of overcoming their flaws and they cannot sustain any success whatsoever. It seems, from the outside, that the issues with the team are mostly mental and/or coaching. The question of roster construction is ever-present.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
This team reminds me of the 2011-12 Buffalo Sabres. They are talented but flawed in obvious ways. And, even though most teams are "talented but flawed," the Sabres are completely incapable of overcoming their flaws and they cannot sustain any success whatsoever. It seems, from the outside, that the issues with the team are mostly mental and/or coaching. The question of roster construction is ever-present.

Also, the players hate the coach and the "#1 center" floats around and acts like a petulant child on the ice. The important difference, though, is that Jack Eichel is still fairly close to being, legally, an actual child, while Derek Roy was 28 years old.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This teams ineptitude goes beyond coaching.

Possibly, but changes need to be made, and firing the coaching staff first is the way to go. If it continues, then you fire Murray. If it still continues, then you rebuild.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Carolina's defense. They stifled the Sabres offense and transitioned the puck well. Skinner gets and open looked on a 2-on-1 and a breakaway.

Sabres can't get the puck out of their zone, can't transition.

Job 1. Change the system (probably means firing the head coach).

Job 2. Rebuild the defense with mobile puck movers. Trade for some, draft heavy on defense to create organizational depth (deep draft year for defenseman).

I could've written this four hours ago. It's been this way for a while.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Also, the players hate the coach and the "#1 center" floats around and acts like a petulant child on the ice. The important difference, though, is that Jack Eichel is still fairly close to being, legally, an actual child, while Derek Roy was 28 years old.

I've accepted the fact Eichel is a head case. I said it a long time ago. I know people don't like it but it's easy to see. Extremely talented, but mentally not all there.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Some back-checking aside, if he's not the worst defensive forward in the NHL right now, he's definitely in the conversation. He's young, so there's room to grow, but there's just so little want-to in his defensive play, especially when an opponent gets established in our zone - in addition to the natural lack of defensive awareness. He needs some ROR boot camp.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I've accepted the fact Eichel is a head case. I said it a long time ago. I know people don't like it but it's easy to see. Extremely talented, but mentally not all there.

Its too bad that everyone peaks mentally at 20.

No way to learn how to deal with things after those teen years are gone.

Jack's a bust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad