Prospect Info: 41OA: Trey Augustine

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
31 Save Shutout for Trey Tonight against PSU in his 1st game back... Up to a 920 SV%
Excuse me sir, the Husso errr Zadina err Copp thread is over there.

This is the Augustine thread which is exclusively for talking about soft busts like Rasmussen.

Last edited:

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
To both attempt to talk about Augustine but also continue to derail....Cossa last night stopped 32/33 and his save percentage is getting to a decent number for his first AHL year (.906).

Augustine had a 31 save shutout in his first game back from winning the juniors.

What if ... what if we have 2 top goalie prospects in the pipeline?!?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
To both attempt to talk about Augustine but also continue to derail....Cossa last night stopped 32/33 and his save percentage is getting to a decent number for his first AHL year (.906).

Augustine had a 31 save shutout in his first game back from winning the juniors.

What if ... what if we have 2 top goalie prospects in the pipeline?!?

Lyon is too old to be considered a prospect, but if he’s our Ullmark and Augustine becomes our Swayman then I’m happy.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Lyon is too old to be considered a prospect, but if he’s our Ullmark and Augustine becomes our Swayman then I’m happy.

there's only a 5 year age gap between Ullmark and Swayman

there's a 13 year one between Lyon and Augustine, Lyon could easily end up being straight up retired by the time Augustine even hits the NHL

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
There is no argument.

Rasmussen was a bad pick because he was universally ranked well below the spot where the Wings picked him, and almost every scouting report went out of its way to point out that his play 5-on-5 was pedestrian at best and that most of his points came on the PP when he was parked in front of the net and 16 year olds couldn't move him.

Now that he is in the NHL the flaws in his game are hugely apparent and it's pretty obvious that he still relies on his size to define his game. That doesn't work when you have guys 5 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than you who know how to do things like skate well and use leverage to knock you on your ass.

Go back to 2017 articles. Not a single person outside of Wings slappies on forums we're going "Wow, Rasmussen, what an underrated pick at 9". It was almost entirely "lol Ken Holland strikes again".

No one in the hockey world was surprised at what Rasmussen turned into: a guy who wouldn't even crack the lineup on a Stanley Cup contender.

Edit: McKenzie is the highest rating I can find for Rasmussen. He has him at 9OA.

I mostly remember what I posted right before we drafted Rasmussen. It was more or less “anyone but Rasmussen” and I wasn’t a big fan of Tippett at the time. Wanted Necas or vilardi hard.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wanted Vilardi until news about his bad back became a thing. I could taking a flier on that talent anyway but I totally get anyone not gambling on that sort of issue.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wanted Vilardi until news about his bad back became a thing. I could taking a flier on that talent anyway but I totally get anyone not gambling on that sort of issue.
I am pretty amazed at where he is at with all of that lost development time and average to poor skating.

Goalies are going to have bad games, I have been very impressed with Augustine for a few years now, even when he has one he seems to move on from it fast.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Beat those nerds from down the road again.
You have to love a performance like that from a prospect watching vantage point (or if you don't like UM).

Augustine is truly a case of there being more to a prospect beyond the stats. The wins are there but he's 46th in GAA and 13th in SV%. If you followed him this year the intangible that sticks out is that he's money in clutch situations. I won't be shocked if MSU hangs another banner while he's there.

Reactions: Sparty

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Beat those nerds from down the road again.
Well if my [nerdy] boys are gonna get worked, at least it’s by a Wings prospect. Go Augustine.

You have to love a performance like that from a prospect watching vantage point (or if you don't like UM).

Augustine is truly a case of there being more to a prospect beyond the stats. The wins are there but he's 46th in GAA and 13th in SV%. If you followed him this year the intangible that sticks out is that he's money in clutch situations. I won't be shocked if MSU hangs another banner while he's there.
Maybe a Big Ten banner, sure.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
This is the one year I can make peace with an MSU conference championship. In seriousness, credit to Augustine for a very strong year and to Nightingale who has done excellent work with that program.

Reactions: Sparty

Christien

May 1, 2010
For all the hype Levi got, Augustine sure deserves the same. He's been nothing short of amazing for MSU and even won a WJC gold

Reactions: saska sault

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad