Prospect Info: 41OA: Trey Augustine

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Imagine how happy Bench would be if we had more goalie prospects.

Is it so much to ask that in my lifetime we get a true franchise goalie? Hasek for a spell was amazing. Osgood is the closest thing.

I don't care who I just want to see a Red Wing win a damn Vezina.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If I were Trey I would simply consider transferring to a university that is closer to his home of South Lyon and boasts the more compelling of the two Rick’s American Cafes.
I remember being sloshed at Rick's one Saturday night. This particular Saturday night was May 10, 2003. Easy to recall because it was the day Jed Ortmeyer signed with the Rangers and the internet exists. He and my GF were friends, but he hadn't met me. And I was all excited for him, stumbling on over to him, giving him some stupid, slurred congrats and then giving him a hug lol. He was super cool about it, but probably thinking, 'ok, that's enough, get the hell away from me.' I remember thinking in my drunken state, 'he doesn't know me, but surely he'll figure out who I am, he knows my GF!" Like, 'yeah, jaster, sure, he'll figure it out, of course, he's a regular FBI agent who works incredibly fast.' And then I went and had probably 8 more beers and a few shots while offering a ton of high fives. Ah, college.

This was not my only embarrassing moment at Rick's, but it's sure as shit the only one I'm going to share here :laugh:

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
I remember being sloshed at Rick's one Saturday night. This particular Saturday night was May 10, 2003. Easy to recall because it was the day Jed Ortmeyer signed with the Rangers and the internet exists. He and my GF were friends, but he hadn't met me. And I was all excited for him, stumbling on over to him, giving him some stupid, slurred congrats and then giving him a hug lol. He was super cool about it, but probably thinking, 'ok, that's enough, get the hell away from me.' I remember thinking in my drunken state, 'he doesn't know me, but surely he'll figure out who I am, he knows my GF!" Like, 'yeah, jaster, sure, he'll figure it out, of course, he's a regular FBI agent who works incredibly fast.' And then I went and had probably 8 more beers and a few shots while offering a ton of high fives. Ah, college.

This was not my only embarrassing moment at Rick's, but it's sure as shit the only one I'm going to share here :laugh:
I remember drinking at Rick's one night and was talking to Ryan Miller when he was playing for Buffalo. Martin Biron was playing there also at the time. I asked him when he was going to come play for the Wings. He said he'd love to if it was possible but its never that simple. He told me it's not never as easy for a guy to just come play for his home team as people think it is. That stuck with me

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
View attachment 830410
Source: NHL Draft Pick Probabilities

There's a big drop off in success rate between first and second round,
View attachment 830421

You can see the drop off between where Cossa was picked (#15) and Augustine (#41).

The only probability stats I can find for different positions is dated (pre 2000), but it states that the drop off for D and F is greater than the drop off for goalies. Take that with a grain of salt because that was pre-internet (at least public use with hockey stats and what not):

But basically, I'm just trying to back up my personal feeling that goalies shouldn't be drafted in the first round. I'm OK with the second round, I'd rather have a goalie prospect than Cleveland. Heck, I would've taken another goalie over Cleveland. Clara seems to be doing decent, and he meets Stevie's height criteria.

Imagine how happy Bench would be if we had more goalie prospects.
Yzerman has always valued goaltenders and in today's NHL and there seems to be a dearth of good starting goalies. I like the draft capital investment in securing a premium NHL goalie as it could give us an outsized competitive advantage. We have a boatload of skater prospects anyway, instead of leaving our goaltending prospects to pure chance lets take a few higher probability swings at an elite goaltender.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yzerman has always valued goaltenders and in today's NHL and there seems to be a dearth of good starting goalies. I like the draft capital investment in securing a premium NHL goalie as it could give us an outsized competitive advantage. We have a boatload of skater prospects anyway, instead of leaving our goaltending prospects to pure chance lets take a few higher probability swings at an elite goaltender.

I have no issues with picking goalies in the second round, heck they could've used all 3 second rounders for goalies last draft. I just think the probabilities are better for forwards and defensemen in the first round. Goalies are not as predictable as skaters, too much mental game involved even if they have skill and size.

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad