1. Giroux
  2. Tarasenko
  3. Couturier
GDT:

Last edited:

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
The Flyers can sure make a multi-goal lead "exciting."

Watching Tyrell lay out Pietrangelo was fun.

giphy.gif

Watching Jori on the power play was not.

Good to see Weal and TK playing their games recently.

Coots with career high points at the half-way mark. Nice!

As mentioned on the GDT, setting up for an empty net was pretty funny.

Out of the Metro cellar; that's cool.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Goul was solid and will get better I promise. Are getting attitude in our game and we'll be tough to beat when I turn them loose for the 3rd with the lead lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foggy14

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Goulbourne wasn't all that noticeable after that amazing first shift, but thank god there's finally a guy in the lineup who is capable of finishing a check.

Make the Flyers Tough To Play Against Again

Reactions: hatcher

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He didn’t play much but I think his presence makes other players better & braver & remember the team’s identity.

He also can be used to set the tone if needed. When they got the big lead, he wasn’t really needed & they probably didn’t want to risk a penalty.

That said, his hit right off the bat led to the first goal & definitely set the tone.

He also caused a turnover because a defenseman was scared of getting hit, & no Blue looked too eager to mess with him in a scrum.

Reactions: joez86 and hatcher

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You just described a player that shouldn’t be playing for a fully healthy NHL team.

He helped them get the lead & I think the team plays better & more aggressively with him aboard. I don’t think it’s a coincidence they had 2 of their best periods of the year & beat one of the NHL’s best teams.

So I do think he has value in the NHL. He’s a role player, but if he has a positive ripple effect on the team, it’s a useful role. Certainly more useful than Lehtera, Weise, Leier, Read, etc.

Reactions: joez86 and hatcher

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The team had completely lost its identity. They’ve gained it back following his call-up & the message it sent (which I’m sure was accompanied by a lashing out from Hextall/Hakstol after the Pittsburgh game about not playing like the Flyers & getting shoved around).

Keith Jones has talked before about how having guys like Goulborne in the lineup “matters.”

Reactions: joez86

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He helped them get the lead & I think the team plays better & more aggressively with him aboard. I don’t think it’s a coincidence they had 2 of their best periods of the year & beat one of the NHL’s best teams.

So I do think he has value in the NHL. He’s a role player, but if he has a positive ripple effect on the team, it’s a useful role. Certainly more useful than Lehtera, Weise, Leier, Read, etc.
Idk a guy that you don't want to play with a big lead, certainly won't play when trailing, and is penalty prone doesn't sound like someone that has value to me. Sounds like someone is drinking the company Kool-Aid or taking the usual contrarian stance. I'll be sure to bookmark these posts when you inevitably complain about the Flyers drafting a sub-PPG teenager in the mid rounds this year.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
It is slightly disheartening that when the Flyers have a big win there are 14 messages in the postgame thread and when they lose there’s 7 pages.

In any case this was their best game of the year (with the possible exception of the home opener). Big win at a big time. They MUST win tomorrow for this win to mean anything, but hopefully this is the start of a second half run.

I don’t like the coach but I’d be more than happy to be proved wrong about him. Just want to see my team win.

Reactions: explosive skating

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It is slightly disheartening that when the Flyers have a big win there are 14 messages in the postgame thread and when they lose there’s 7 pages.

In any case this was their best game of the year (with the possible exception of the home opener). Big win at a big time. They MUST win tomorrow for this win to mean anything, but hopefully this is the start of a second half run.

I don’t like the coach but I’d be more than happy to be proved wrong about him. Just want to see my team win.
The GDT remained open for a long time after the game so most of the post game talk was in there.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Traveled all day and only got updates when I could. Sorry I missed this but love the result

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
You know, I could be wrong, but I dont think Ghoul being called up is the reason Giroux has had 5 points in his last 2 games (17 in 10). Him, Couts, Provy, and Ghost (Maybe Konecny and Jake too) are the reason they won those two games. Not some rediscovered identity unlocked by a 4th line (borderline) player. He wasnt a negative impact, but lets not act like hes had a huge effect on the team.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The teams identity is "top players completely backpack... or we automatically lose".

Adding a AHL 4th liner didn't effect that in any way.

I'm trying to envision the scene in my mind's eye. While he's at home making himself a grilled cheese sandwich, Giroux gets an alert on his phone that Goul has been called up. He looks at the alert but it registers only slowly, and his eyes grow as large as hockey pucks. Then, like a kid on x-mas, he excitedly calls Voracek, Ghost, Couts, & Simmonds to tell them the amazing news that, finally, they have the answer, a player who's going to make every guy on the team braver, tougher, and more remembering of the team's identity.

Or maybe it was a surprise during practice? Like, the Flyers are in the locker room getting ready when in walks Goul, and suddenly the room falls silent. Slowly a grin flashes on Giroux face, and he gives the Jeremiah Johnson nod to Goul.

Either one works for me, really.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Idk a guy that you don't want to play with a big lead, certainly won't play when trailing, and is penalty prone doesn't sound like someone that has value to me. Sounds like someone is drinking the company Kool-Aid or taking the usual contrarian stance. I'll be sure to bookmark these posts when you inevitably complain about the Flyers drafting a sub-PPG teenager in the mid rounds this year.

I don’t know why you feel the need to get so bitchy about it. I explained why I thought he has value. Most games don’t involve 3 & 4 goal leads. Plus it was his first NHL game. At least he brings something to the table, unlike Lehtera, Weise, & Leier. And even though he didn’t play much, he directly led to the first goal & great start.

Reactions: pacehimself

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'm trying to envision the scene in my mind's eye. While he's at home making himself a grilled cheese sandwich, Giroux gets an alert on his phone that Goul has been called up. He looks at the alert but it registers only slowly, and his eyes grow as large as hockey pucks. Then, like a kid on x-mas, he excitedly calls Voracek, Ghost, Couts, & Simmonds to tell them the amazing news that, finally, they have the answer, a player who's going to make every guy on the team braver, tougher, and more remembering of the team's identity.

Or maybe it was a surprise during practice? Like, the Flyers are in the locker room getting ready when in walks Goul, and suddenly the room falls silent. Slowly a grin slowly flashes on Giroux face, and he gives the Jeremiah Johnson nod to Goul.

Either one works for me, really.

It’s clear the team got lambasted after getting physically owned & embarrassed by PIT, & the Goulborne call up was a message that has certainly been received so far. And if you think the players weren’t happy about the call up, I think you’re wrong.

Like I said, Keith Jones has said that when you look around the locker room or bench, “it matters” seeing guys with toughness who will have your back. It lets your team feel more confident playing hard & aggressive. But what would Jones know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad