Movies: 40 years later 'A Christmas Story' gets a sequel

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Pretty much all of the rest of the actors from the original made themselves available, so it doesn't make sense to me to speculate that the one holdout did so because she judged the project unworthy and not because she's 83 years old and retired from acting. If one actor not participating tells you that the project isn't worthwhile, then shouldn't all of the rest participating tell you that it is? Also, if we imagine that only a bad script or health concerns would've stopped her from signing up for the nostalgia of it, why should even a bad script have stopped her? I can't see her turning down the chance to play one of her most beloved roles again and get to see Peter Billingsley and the other "kids" for the first time in nearly 40 years and for probably the last time just because she judged the script to be bad.

Fair points, however, she was actually given top billing in the credits of the original, so she was one of the stars of the original film, not just a supporting role

And let's be honest, it's not like any of the other returning cast members had much going on that they wouldn't jump at the chance to return for this

As stated, I'm purely speculating - as are you - so there's not much point in trying to convince each other beyond what has already been said

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I feel that they may've waited too long. 10 years ago, when Billingsley was 40, it would've been a little easier to recognize him and the rest of the actors and imagine them acting like kids again. It's honestly a little more depressing than anything to see them all over 50. I'll watch it, but I don't suspect that it'll be as nostalgic as it was meant to be, if only because I'll barely recognize anyone.

It's interesting that it's HBO Max because they put out 8-Bit Christmas last year. That was, itself, a virtual updating of A Christmas Story because it was about a 40-something dad (Neil Patrick Harris) telling the story of how he got his Nintendo Entertainment System for Christmas in the 80s. I liked that and it got good reviews, so I wonder if the positive response to that prompted the making of this (which wasn't announced until January).

As for the mother not reprising her role at 83 years old, my guess is that it was because of health concerns, including COVID. It was partly filmed in Hungary and Bulgaria, which is a long flight away, and she may not have wanted to get stuck there if her health took a turn for the worse.

8 bit Christmas was a lot of fun. I'd rather see another original Xmas story like that than them doing this sequel.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Fair points, however, she was actually given top billing in the credits of the original, so she was one of the stars of the original film, not just a supporting role

And let's be honest, it's not like any of the other returning cast members had much going on that they wouldn't jump at the chance to return for this

As stated, I'm purely speculating - as are you - so there's not much point in trying to convince each other beyond what has already been said

Just let it go man. You were wrong.

• Haha

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Got a link? Or are you just joining in on the speculation fun?
Give it up. You lost this one.

8 bit Christmas was a lot of fun. I'd rather see another original Xmas story like that than them doing this sequel.
Really enjoyed 8 Bit Christmas too. Definitely had strong "A Christmas Story" vibes, which they were going for.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
No she wouldn't lol. That is some insane speculation. She is a 83-year-old lady probably enjoying her time in a retirement community playing BINGO with the other retirees. Does she want to pack up and live in a hotel for months and learn lines again at her age after hanging up her acting shoes 15 years ago to go act in some HBO movie?

And a shitty HBO movie at that.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
They’d better play the “Wolf theme music” from “Peter and the Wolf” if that yellow-eyed, green-toothed scoundrel Scut Farkas shows up onscreen. :D

I doubt it though.

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
Noooooo
why.gif

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
We'll watch here. I anticipate it to be better than the "original sequel" they already made a while ago.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Watched it last night, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Far better than the first sequel which I've forgotten all about, and had a lot of similar feel to the original.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I actually thought it was a solid Christmas movie. It obviously isn't on par with the original, but they did a pretty good job tying them together.

I did find it odd that they didn't make much reference to the lamp though

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
We’re really arguing about whether an 80something year old who retired 15 years ago didn’t work on a film because of its quality? Jesus people. She’s retired. The simplest answer is the answer.

Anyway I had serious doubts about the movie but I finally watched it. A very cute film, captures way more of the spirit of the original than I thought it would. Hits a lot of the greatest hits beats, for better or worse. The way it ties to the original was cute and clever and the ending made me emotional.

It’s worth your time, and I say as a doubter.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Saw it a few days ago, pretty decent Christmas movie.

Guess @Neutrinos was wrong about his prediction that it was so horrible which is why an actress, 15 years retired, didn't want to join the cast.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Completely tolerable, and even enjoyable, Christmas flick. Watched it in the same week as 8 Bit Christmas and the new Will Ferrell/Ryan Reynolds vehicle. My fave of the 3. Enough call backs to the first one and the same spirit so old timers like me will enjoy it, and enough funny and creative bits so the 1% of Americans who haven't seen the first one will enjoy it.

Also, based on the arguments in this thread, you can tell the Rangers werent going to be any good this year since Gretzky didn't come out of retirement to play for them. Or something like that.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I did not think I would like it but I watched it tonight and it was pretty good. Nobody involved should be practicing their Oscar speech but I actually enjoyed it. I really liked it when during the credits they started showing matching shots from the original and the sequel. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad