Movies: 40 years later 'A Christmas Story' gets a sequel

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The first movie already has sequels and they aren't good (so not surprised nobody remembers them).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Looks underwhelming/bad but I will watch it at least once for nostalgia and such

At least it looks like they got most of the surviving cast back though the mother retired from acting so I understand why she isn't in it

Honestly it feels like A Christmas Story meets National Lampoons Christmas mashup bashed on trailer

The first movie already has sequels and they aren't good (so not surprised nobody remembers them).

I actually like It Runs in the Family, but people didn't like that it was recast (Which given gap between original film was something that couldn't be avoided)

Used to see it on Showtime back in 90's

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
first movie was a key part of the my childhood

when I found out Bob Clark directed it right after directing the first two porkies--did my head in

He also directed “Deathdream” , “Black Christmas” , and “Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things” all in the 70’s. ;)

Deathdream” is pretty sweet.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Earned his bones in Canada

Yep.

Oh shit…I almost forgot:

He also directed this too in ‘74

Derangedposter.jpg

Great film.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
To the fans of the original, were any of you ever hoping to one day see Ralphie drinking beers with his buddies in a bar when he was 50? Well, then, you're in luck!

For the rest of us, this just looks bloody awful!

It's fine to bring Ralphie back, but A Christmas Story is a kid's movie which the whole family can enjoy, so he should've been a supporting character with the film focusing on his son/daughter

I think it's pretty telling that Melinda Dillon wasn't willing to reprise her role as Ralphie's mom speaks volume about what audiences can expect

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
To the fans of the original, were any of you ever hoping to one day see Ralphie drinking beers with his buddies in a bar when he was 50? Well, then, you're in luck!

For the rest of us, this just looks bloody awful!

It's fine to bring Ralphie back, but A Christmas Story is a kid's movie which the whole family can enjoy, so he should've been a supporting character with the film focusing on his son/daughter

I think it's pretty telling that Melinda Dillon wasn't willing to reprise her role as Ralphie's mom speaks volume about what audiences can expect

....she is 83 years old, I think it's FAR more likely she didn't want to reprise her role because she is....old, very old, and has been out of acting for 15 years..

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
....she is 83 years old, I think it's FAR more likely she didn't want to reprise her role because she is....old, very old, and has been out of acting for 15 years..

Hollywood is filled with working actors & actresses in their 80's

A Christmas Story is/was such a special film, unless she has a health issue or the script was trash, it's hard to believe she wouldn't want to be part of it

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

A Christmas Story is/was such a special film, unless she has a health issue or the script was trash, it's hard to believe she wouldn't want to be part of it
It's a HBO movie, they probably arent paying well, Why bother? She might not be able to even walk much anymore at her age. And again, she hasn't acted since 2007.

It will end up being some average Xmas movie, like most Xmas movies are.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I feel that they may've waited too long. 10 years ago, when Billingsley was 40, it would've been a little easier to recognize him and the rest of the actors and imagine them acting like kids again. It's honestly a little more depressing than anything to see them all over 50. I'll watch it, but I don't suspect that it'll be as nostalgic as it was meant to be, if only because I'll barely recognize anyone.

It's interesting that it's HBO Max because they put out 8-Bit Christmas last year. That was, itself, a virtual updating of A Christmas Story because it was about a 40-something dad (Neil Patrick Harris) telling the story of how he got his Nintendo Entertainment System for Christmas in the 80s. I liked that and it got good reviews, so I wonder if the positive response to that prompted the making of this (which wasn't announced until January).

As for the mother not reprising her role at 83 years old, my guess is that it was because of health concerns, including COVID. It was partly filmed in Hungary and Bulgaria, which is a long flight away, and she may not have wanted to get stuck there if her health took a turn for the worse.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

She retired in 1999

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
She retired in 1999

Her IMDB lists credits up until 2007

And she's retired, not dead

Again, I'm just speculating here, but if the project had been worthwhile, barring health issues, I imagine she would've made herself available

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Her IMDB lists credits up until 2007

And she's retired, not dead

Again, I'm just speculating here, but if the project had been worthwhile, barring health issues, I imagine she would've made herself available
No she wouldn't lol. That is some insane speculation. She is a 83-year-old lady probably enjoying her time in a retirement community playing BINGO with the other retirees. Does she want to pack up and live in a hotel for months and learn lines again at her age after hanging up her acting shoes 15 years ago to go act in some HBO movie?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
No she wouldn't lol. That is some insane speculation. She is a 83-year-old lady probably enjoying her time in a retirement community playing BINGO with the other retirees. Does she want to pack up and live in a hotel for months and learn lines again at her age after hanging up her acting shoes 15 years ago to go act in some HBO movie?
You're obviously the all-knowing authority on the matter

The bolded part is as far as I read

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You're obviously the all-knowing authority on the matter

The bolded part is as far as I read
Cool. It's actually just common sense. Sorry if you are lacking in that and think she doesn't want to join the cast "because she read the script and it wasn't good enough" and not having anything to do with the fact she hasnt acted in ages and is very elderly :laugh: Thanks for the laugh however! Hopefully this movie has just as many of them!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Pretty much all of the rest of the actors from the original made themselves available, so it doesn't make sense to me to speculate that the one holdout did so because she judged the project unworthy and not because she's 83 years old and retired from acting. If one actor not participating tells you that the project isn't worthwhile, then shouldn't all of the rest participating tell you that it is? Also, if we imagine that only a bad script or health concerns would've stopped her from signing up for the nostalgia of it, why should even a bad script have stopped her? I can't see her turning down the chance to play one of her most beloved roles again and get to see Peter Billingsley and the other "kids" for the first time in nearly 40 years and for probably the last time just because she judged the script to be bad.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad