Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Big fan of this pick, putting PPG numbers in a very defensive league is no small fleet.

As Bubba said, rough around the edges, but there is a good power-forward inside. Definitely needs to work on skating especially in explosive in speed and edge work, but has the talent to be a very good and very tooth and nail top 9 forward.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Big fan of this pick, putting PPG numbers in a very defensive league is no small fleet.

As Bubba said, rough around the edges, but there is a good power-forward inside. Definitely needs to work on skating especially in explosive in speed and edge work, but has the talent to be a very good and very tooth and nail top 9 forward.

That would be huge. I missed such an element last season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Interesting they went away from their D man in the 2nd approach in addition to not taking one in the 1st. After some of the D were taken late in the first last night, it did seem pretty thin for D men in the 2nd though. A lot of undersized guys.

Cam looks promising that he can be serviceable. Hopefully he will because their D pick in the 3rd looks like he's devoid of offense even at the lower ranks, which will hurt his chances of making the NHL.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Apologies for the terrible Youngstown audio in the first few clips, I probably should've brought down the volume a little more.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Never gonna have to tell this kid to go to the net. Ends up there on almost every play. Good instincts and finishing skills too.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I've been frustrated this year by players not going to the net and creating screens and rebound chances. Glad to see that his strengths lie in that area.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'm impressed. This guy always brings the puck to the net and always stops at the top of the crease.

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City
Red Line Report on Cameron Morrison:

24. Cameron Morrison – Youngstown LW

Well rounded winger is big, strong, and physical with a scoring touch. Has powerful stride and scores a ton of goals. Dominated the USHL at age 17, scoring 34 goals in 60 games. Has a great frame and really leans into his stick, producing lots of torque on heavy snap shot that often handcuffs goalies. Hides release point very well. Soft hands for giving/receiving passes and is an underrated playmaker. Also has good puck skills and handles it well at speed. Hard on his stick and impossible to move off the puck on the cycle. Dominates below circles and owns the walls. One of the youngest players in the draft, but is already strong as an ox and overpowers defenders, carrying them on his back as he bulls his way to net. Has knack for getting to open ice at the right time and buries his chances. Gets to net at will and cleans up.

Projection: 2nd line power winger who scores.

Style compares to: Max Pacioretty

Red Line Report has Morrison as the 10th best natural goal scorer of the draft: Money from the circles in. Never gets surprised by a pass and always has his stick in good position to shoot.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I'm curious about what position Morrison will play at Notre Dame. A bunch of the scouting reports I've read list him as C/LW. He has a lot of the attributes you want in a PF but I wonder if they end up playing him as a C.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
As far as the fancy stats go, there was no better pick in the second round. It's ridiculous how many obviously worse players went before him.

70% goals for at evens, a ludicrous 21% GFRel as well. there is nothing not to like about Morrison. The best part is that he's about two weeks removed from being a 2017 eligible player. You guys basically traded your 40th OA for a mid-1st next year. Players with this size, skating, and goal scoring ability shouldn't be available past the first round.

I'm almost mad that Calgary traded their 35 for a starting goalie because I like this guy so much.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As far as the fancy stats go, there was no better pick in the second round. It's ridiculous how many obviously worse players went before him.

70% goals for at evens, a ludicrous 21% GFRel as well. there is nothing not to like about Morrison. The best part is that he's about two weeks removed from being a 2017 eligible player. You guys basically traded your 40th OA for a mid-1st next year. Players with this size, skating, and goal scoring ability shouldn't be available past the first round.

I'm almost mad that Calgary traded their 35 for a starting goalie because I like this guy so much.

His shooting % was a bit high, no? Not that it bothers me but as far as fancy stats go wouldn't that be an issue?

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Since he was taken higher than he was ranked by Bob and the experts I feel excitement has been a bit tempered around here but I like what I've heard of him.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
His shooting % was a bit high, no? Not that it bothers me but as far as fancy stats go wouldn't that be an issue?

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Since he was taken higher than he was ranked by Bob and the experts I feel excitement has been a bit tempered around here but I like what I've heard of him.

His shooting percentage is high because he scores a lot of his goals from down low, he's not just throwing pucks on the net from everywhere. Better shot selection translates to a higher shooting percentage.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Red Line Report on Cameron Morrison:

24. Cameron Morrison – Youngstown LW

Well rounded winger is big, strong, and physical with a scoring touch. Has powerful stride and scores a ton of goals. Dominated the USHL at age 17, scoring 34 goals in 60 games. Has a great frame and really leans into his stick, producing lots of torque on heavy snap shot that often handcuffs goalies. Hides release point very well. Soft hands for giving/receiving passes and is an underrated playmaker. Also has good puck skills and handles it well at speed. Hard on his stick and impossible to move off the puck on the cycle. Dominates below circles and owns the walls. One of the youngest players in the draft, but is already strong as an ox and overpowers defenders, carrying them on his back as he bulls his way to net. Has knack for getting to open ice at the right time and buries his chances. Gets to net at will and cleans up.

Projection: 2nd line power winger who scores.

Style compares to: Max Pacioretty

Red Line Report has Morrison as the 10th best natural goal scorer of the draft: Money from the circles in. Never gets surprised by a pass and always has his stick in good position to shoot.

Great info. I look at a scouting report like this and I wonder, why isn't a guy like this taken higher? Lots of teams with 1st round picks would kill for one of them to turn into a Max Pacioretty. What's his timeframe to make the Avalanche look like?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
His skating isn't that good from my viewings. That may be one of the reasons. If he can improve that a little bit he could be good for us in 3 years.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I was really impressed with Brett Howden in these clips as well. And of course, Tampa Bay somehow managed to scoop him up late in the 1st. Man do I envy their scouting and development staff.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
He looks like Prez from The Wire.

IMG_0232.jpg

the_wire_prez_pryzbylewski.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad