Post-Game Talk: #4: Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2015, Blackhawks at Flyers

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I still think Manning is being underestimated. He's averaging 18:00 mins a game. He's made some mistakes but i think his defensive positioning has been very solid. He blocks alot of high quality scoring chances. He has a mean streak he has yet to unleash because he's been pretty disciplined. His trouble comes from when the puck is on his stick at times. When he tries to do to much with it he gets in trouble. He needs to stick with the simple and effective plays. I feel he has enough puck handling ability to make those plays. I'm not saying he's a legit top 4 player because the sample size is too small to get a accurate assessment on him but he's been solid. Not spectacular or horrible like some around here claim to believe. I know we have the shiny new toys to look forward too but i am just going to let this play itself out.

Schenn is out because he doesn't have to agility and anticipation to close on the opposing player defensively. His skatting and bulk prevent him from doing that. It's one of the reasons Luke is in the pressbox. Gudas and Manning seem to have the ability to take away time and space.

Manning has been OK but Gudas has been brutal.

He has been bailed out the past two games by good goaltending after taking stupid penalties. He has

made some nice hits but gets himself caught out of position more often than not going after these hits.

At least he is cheap I guess.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
And Manning gets a pass from some people for his mistakes and how heavily he's been sheltered because he's new & cheap.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?season=20152016&stype=2&team=PHI&sit=ev

If the Flyers are going to give a dman almost 70% OZ starts they should make it Gostisbehere since he would contribute a lot more offensively given that type of usage.

No, Manning gets a pass because he'd be better than Schenn in that role.

It costs us exactly the same amount to have Schenn play as apposed to having Manning play.

Either way, eventually, Gostisbehere will be up. Patience.

We have to wait for one of Streit, Del Zotto, or Medvedev to go before we can plug in Gostisbehere efficiently. The way they are playing now, Medvedev is the last of the pile.

It's a long season, but if BSchenn, MDZ, and Gagner continue at near this level all year, we're going to have an insane team in 3-4 years.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Manning has been OK but Gudas has been brutal.

He has been bailed out the past two games by good goaltending after taking stupid penalties. He has

made some nice hits but gets himself caught out of position more often than not going after these hits.

At least he is cheap I guess.

No. The problem around here is people get stuck on mistakes. Gudas has had some errors but he's making nice plays on the PK, in the defensive zone defensively and he's shown an ability to make the right decision with the puck at times. It's not perfect but the whole body of play hasn't been horrible as you claim. Look at the third goal that Read scored. Who's the defenseman that broke the play up in the neutral zone and making a quick pass to Couts to get that rush started? None other then Gudas. It good position and makes a good quick transition pass up the ice.

The team always needs a scapegoat. Yes there are some players that aren't in the top or middle percentile of the league but in most cases their said level of suckiness is always greatly exaggerated on HFBoards. The problem is the emotional analysis of players. People still stuck with the angry out burst at the TV on players about mistakes and it rules their postgame analysis. You take the good with the bad.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd point out that VV was paired with PEB on the PK.
White might be the odd man out when Umberger returns if they keep Gagner in the lineup.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd point out that VV was paired with PEB on the PK.
White might be the odd man out when Umberger returns if they keep Gagner in the lineup.

Yeah, VdV-PEB are the main PK duo. When people talked about waiving VdV instead of Porter, that was never going to happen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Can't wait until the majority of post-game discussion doesn't revolve around Manning.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Can't wait until the majority of post-game discussion doesn't revolve around Manning.

Be thankful that Manning is literally the only thing people have to ***** about right now.

(Outside of the outrageous amount of money we're spending for people that aren't even on the team, but we've played that **** to death.)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Be thankful that Manning is literally the only thing people have to ***** about right now.

(Outside of the outrageous amount of money we're spending for people that aren't even on the team, but we've played that **** to death.)

Touche.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pretty obvious why, the team that's behind starts taking chances, pinching, defensemen jumping into plays to keep the puck in the offensive zone, sometimes it gets you back into the game, sometimes the other team takes advantage of your aggressiveness (we scored on Chicago, Florida scored on us).

It's easy to say keep the pressure high, but you don't want to take the same kind of chances the losing team is taking, so inevitably they get more pressure.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Manning isn't that good, but I won't crap on him when this team is winning and especially after posting back to back shutouts. Eff that noise. There will no doubt be time for that later on, inevitably.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Manning Wars of 2015 remind of the great Akeson Debates of 2014. But Brandon is doing better and has more support from the coach than Jason ever had.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Every coach has the odd favorite player. Hakstol's seems to be Manning. Rather see him play than Schenn, but I also want to see Schenn traded so...:dunno:

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
I didnt see the past three games, but whats up with Voracek? How is it, that some guys on here think that he tries too much? To me he just looked slow and weak on the puck out there. He looked like a total different player this game compared to last season. Hopefully its just a cold streak and not a lack of conditioning.

How did he look the past 3 games?

Last edited:

PAZUZU

Jan 25, 2012
Philly 'burbs
Pot was at a bit over 35 so 17 and some change

My dad hit the 50/50 at a Sunday Bruins game 2 years ago. Definitely the best I've ever felt walking out of there after a loss in the rain. I think the pic is still on the Flyers Facebook Charity page. Seeing that on the jumbotron at the next game was pretty funny.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I didnt see the past three games, but whats up with Voracek? How is it, that some guys on here think that he tries too much? To me he just looked slow and weak on the puck out there. He looked like a total different player this game compared to last season. Hopefully its just a cold streak and not a lack of conditioning.

How did he look the past 3 games?

I don't think he's looked slow physically in the slightest, only in his decision making. He's definitely losing more puck battles too but again I think it's less physical and more mental. He might be feeling the pressure to live up to his contract/last years performance, who knows.

He certainly hasn't been his normal self, last night or the previous games this season. We've seen him go through these stretches before, like any other player in the league, so I'm not worried about it. I'm confident he'll regain his form, he's too good a player, it's just a matter of time.

---------------------------------------

Concerning Manning, he's has definitely been the team's worst defenseman and probably the worst player as a whole but I'm willing to give him more time before pulling the plug for good. It's sink or swim time. I will say this though, the fact that his 'advanced' stats this year have been on par with his NHL career stats (limited as they may be) certainly doesn't bode well for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad