4 out of 5 Canadian teams did not sell out last night

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Interesting. It takes a lot for teams to post non sellouts in Canada even when you see a couple hundred empty seats. Some non big matchups on a Tuesday night in October. But still strange to all happen on 1 night when some of those teams haven't had non sellouts in years. Winnipeg has never posted a non sellout in the Jets 2.0 Era

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Good. They can't continue to gouge the fan base year after year and think fans will continue to let them take them to the woodshed every game night. Watching at home is so much better these days than paying $13 for a beer $25 for parking $10 for a bag of 50 cents popcorn and then a couple hundred for average tickets.

No thanks, rather watch at home.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Flames have a monster 19,289 capacity rink. For their population size, I’d say it’s too large and obviously the rink is too old.

I attend quite a few games a season and honestly, they sell out. The only available seats are generally in the nose bleeds that have an obstructed view. Not selling out 2000+ seats that feels like you’re scaling a mountain to get to your seat with awful sight-lines isn’t a problem.

The important thing is they sell out the expensive tickets and the boxes which is way more important to the bottom line.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Good. They can't continue to gouge the fan base year after year and think fans will continue to let them take them to the woodshed every game night. Watching at home is so much better these days than paying $13 for a beer $25 for parking $10 for a bag of 50 cents popcorn and then a couple hundred for average tickets.

No thanks, rather watch at home.
This. Imagine trying to bring a family of four.

Also the Canadian economy is failing right now, and Canadians already have record levels of debt.

Non-sellouts have everything to do with economic conditions and not the popularity of the sport.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Flames have a monster 19,289 capacity rink. For their population size, I’d say it’s too large and obviously the rink is too old.

I attend quite a few games a season and honestly, they sell out. The only available seats are generally in the nose bleeds that have an obstructed view. Not selling out 2000+ seats that feels like you’re scaling a mountain to get to your seat with awful sight-lines isn’t a problem.

The important thing is they sell out the expensive tickets and the boxes which is way more important to the bottom line.

No they don't. I was going to go to tonight's game and there were tickets available every where.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
No they don't. I was going to go to tonight's game and there were tickets available every where.
There’s tickets available everywhere though. Even up north there’s tons of available seats for tomorrow’s game against the same opponents and they have McDavid. Watching from tv, I didn’t see a ton of available seats. So to me, I think it’s a sell out by today’s standards.

I actually think this speaks to an even bigger issue. I think sports in general are seeing an overall decline. Cable cutters are hurting tv viewership. Millennials aren’t interested in attending expensive and time consuming games with so many other cheaper entertainment options (i.e. Netflix).

It’s the way the wind is blowing in all of Canada. There’s a shift in demographics and I see soccer and basketball rising as years go by. I could probably write a newspaper article on what I think about this subject, but I’ll spare everyone tonight.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Yeah right sport! every lower bowl seat is taken and attendance tonight was 17,800 ish. pretty good for a tuesday night against a so-so non playoff team

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I see that as a good news. Boycotting until they begin to respect the fans. We aren't goods. We don't trust their products. Solding out gonna send a wrong message to the owners and the hockey operations.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
An little noticed reason many games don't sell out is that teams cap season ticket sales so they have a set amount for single game sales (at far higher prices than STH's pay). Those tickets are hard to sell because the secondary market is almost always way cheaper (which is why the teams/ticket companies are trying sleazy anti free market garbage to control tickets and kill the secondary market). Thus they go unsold. If most of those teams didn't cap ST's every seat would be sold.

Reactions: Lshap

lawrence

May 19, 2012
does KingCampbell thinks just because it's a Canadian city its an auto sell out? Tickets are not cheap, things are getting more expensive in Vancouver, although the Caucks marketing are doing their best to sell tickets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad