Post-Game Talk: #4 | Flyers at Panthers | October 19, 2022 | Loss 4-3

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is for sure what Fletch is looking for.
Limited skills
Limited offense
Limited risks
Limited wins
Have you watched the games?

Once reason the Flyers are giving up so many odd man rushes is Torts has the defensemen aggressively pinch to keep the puck in the O-zone. Braun is the best at it, but I think Torts accepts the younger D-men are going to get caught out of position more often as they learn when to take chances and the forwards learn when they have to cycle back to CYA (MacEwen did a good job of that, by the way).

And they're aggressive on the forecheck, with two men deep.

The lack of skills isn't something Torts can change this year, play aggressive and hard is within his control. And playing without the puck, when they gave up odd man rushes, forwards skated back a lot harder than the past couple years - which means if the goalie can stop the first shot, fewer second chance opportunities.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Remember how I've told you not to compare stats across teams without context because it's a total waste of time? Yeah.

I'm not talking about just MacEwen. You also have Braun on the roster for no reason. Deslauriers for no reason. They want to add Anisimov, Brown would be playing if healthy, and now they're adding Sedlak. All washed up.

I can safely ignore the just about all your post providing frantic falsified justifications for the roster decisions and usage we are seeing.

A simple fact is true: you predicted repeatedly and in long detail all the ways these things wouldn't happen. We told you they would. They are.

How is Sedlak "washed up" at 29? He's coming off two big seasons in the KHL, is a player the coach knows, and costs a whopping $800K.

If nothing else he is organizational depth and a stop gap while some players get healthy and others continue developing.

Hardly seems like a move that bears criticism.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How is Sedlak "washed up" at 29? He's coming off two big seasons in the KHL, is a player the coach knows, and costs a whopping $800K.

If nothing else he is organizational depth and a stop gap while some players get healthy and others continue developing.

Every move bears criticism.

Some here want them to start every marginal prospect, because they feel it's better to play a prospect who's terrible over a veteran whose mediocre. They want the Flyers to emulate Arizona.

The reason you have an AHL franchise is for your prospects to play big minutes and show they're ready.
Right now, the four young players getting PT are a 1st rd, 2nd rd, 5th rd and UDFA.
The young players who have been bypassed are a 1st rd, 3rd rd, 6th rd.
The two players on the bubble getting some PT are a UDFA and a waiver wire acquisition.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Some here want them to start every marginal prospect, because they feel it's better to play a prospect who's terrible over a veteran whose mediocre. They want the Flyers to emulate Arizona.

The reason you have an AHL franchise is for your prospects to play big minutes and show they're ready.
Right now, the four young players getting PT are a 1st rd, 2nd rd, 5th rd and UDFA.
The young players who have been bypassed are a 1st rd, 6th rd.
The two players on the bubble getting some PT are a UDFA and a waiver wire acquisition.

That's what I always thought clubs were supposed to do.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Why do you think he was in the KHL?

Just wait. It will be a move to criticize. This is an annual Fletcher tradition.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The young players who have been bypassed are a 1st rd, 6th rd.

Some of the guys being held down are far from marginal prospects and you know that.

So why are you deliberately lying? If your defenses of management can only be maintained by lying, do you think they're good defenses?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Have you watched the games?

Once reason the Flyers are giving up so many odd man rushes is Torts has the defensemen aggressively pinch to keep the puck in the O-zone. Braun is the best at it, but I think Torts accepts the younger D-men are going to get caught out of position more often as they learn when to take chances and the forwards learn when they have to cycle back to CYA (MacEwen did a good job of that, by the way).

And they're aggressive on the forecheck, with two men deep.

The lack of skills isn't something Torts can change this year, play aggressive and hard is within his control. And playing without the puck, when they gave up odd man rushes, forwards skated back a lot harder than the past couple years - which means if the goalie can stop the first shot, fewer second chance opportunities.
Yes i have watched the poor puck control percentage.
Yes I have watched Braun looked old.
Yes I have seen the youth buried while Seeler and 44 are the 2nd coming .
Yes I have seen 4 straight 2-0 deficits. But this is sustainable winning hockey I am sure
Yes I have seen Hart play on his head while don't call me Tomas 2nd string gave up a brutal 4th goal.
Yes I laughed my backside off when Zac got time when flyers pulled the goalie.

Have you stopped being a lap dog?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do you think he was in the KHL?

Just wait. It will be a move to criticize. This is an annual Fletcher tradition.
He's Czech, probably speaks Russian and with the lockdown et al might have saw it as a better opportunity than being on a NHL bubble. And it gave him a chance to play a lot of minutes against better competition than the AHL.
He was 7th in the KHL in scoring last season, centered his team's 1st line and lead the team in scoring.

For some reason, the Czech players decided not to return this season.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

The criticism is that it prevents a young player like L-ski from playing The flyers are not making the playoffs and will be 7th or 8th in division. Anyone who doesn't know that is in denial, You need to know

a) every 20 something vet it they rebound from lousy last 2 years. Provorov and TK at the top of the list.

b) You need to know what you have in the kids. If L-ski, Tippett, Frost, Cates, sux then so be it. But this mentality that coaches are scared to death if the kids make a mistake, I don't get in the whole organization. If Zach and Sedlak and Seeler get you to 69 points instead of 66 points who the bleep cares?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some of the guys being held down are far from marginal prospects and you know that.

So why are you deliberately lying? If your defenses of management can only be maintained by lying, do you think they're good defenses?
York blew his shot, that's his fault. He needs to pick up his game, the talent is there, the head?

Laczynski is marginal, 6th rd pick who hasn't done much, hobbled by injuries, may not be 100% yet.
Attard needs time to work on his defensive fundamentals, which aren't good b/c he was a rover in college.
Lycksell is adjusting to NA hockey after a breakout year in the SHL.

Foerster, Desnoyers and Wisdom are all 20, with limited pro experience, some marinating will serve them well.
Good chance one or more will get a shot this spring.

Ersson missed last season and is blocked by Sandstrom.

So who else? Brooks? Marody? Ratcliffe? Wylie? Hogberg? Ginning?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The criticism is that it prevents a young player like L-ski from playing The flyers are not making the playoffs and will be 7th or 8th in division. Anyone who doesn't know that is in denial, You need to know

a) every 20 something vet it they rebound from lousy last 2 years. Provorov and TK at the top of the list.

b) You need to know what you have in the kids. If L-ski, Tippett, Frost, Cates, sux then so be it. But this mentality that coaches are scared to death if the kids make a mistake, I don't get in the whole organization. If Zach and Sedlak and Seeler get you to 69 points instead of 66 points who the bleep cares?
Lacsynksi is 25, J Cates is 25, MacEwen is 26, Marody is 26, Brooks is 26. They're not "kids."
Basically they're competing for the 4th line/13th forward slot.

N Cates, Frost and Allison are in the top 8 right now, Tippett would be #9 if he was healthy.
Farabee is only 22. It's not like they're running a geriatric center.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Lacsynksi is 25, J Cates is 25, MacEwen is 26, Marody is 26, Brooks is 26. They're not "kids."
Basically they're competing for the 4th line/13th forward slot.

N Cates, Frost and Allison are in the top 8 right now, Tippett would be #9 if he was healthy.
Farabee is only 22. It's not like they're running a geriatric center.
L-ski has been hurt and you are either being dishonest or foolish to compare zach to l-ski.

but u do do u

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Looks busy, grinds aimlessly, doesn't score. Fletcher's ideal hockey. Like I said in the summer, Fletcher and Tortorella are extremely likely to reinforce each other's worst traits.
they literaly trying to recreate the BSB in 2022....meanwhile the league has moved on 40+ years ago..

sigh...

because hes been in the KHL for 2 seasons... thats the defintion of a washed up/never was..

if u cant stick on any of the 32 nhl teams your a plug..

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He's Czech, probably speaks Russian and with the lockdown et al might have saw it as a better opportunity than being on a NHL bubble. And it gave him a chance to play a lot of minutes against better competition than the AHL.
He was 7th in the KHL in scoring last season, centered his team's 1st line and lead the team in scoring.

For some reason, the Czech players decided not to return this season.

Lots of conjecture.

I doubt he willingly took that pay cut if he though he's be pulling down NHL money.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
L-ski has been hurt and you are either being dishonest or foolish to compare zach to l-ski.

but u do do u
Wait, Lacyzinski is hurt? Then he should be in the AHL until he's 100%, shouldn't he?
because hes been in the KHL for 2 seasons... thats the defintion of a washed up/never was..

European players have different motivations, if the money is close, you're a lot closer to home with a lower cost of living.
And a number of players have gone to the KHL to resurrect their careers, the quality of play is above the SHL or AHL.
Not saying Sedlak has become a star, but it's a no cost "look see," at worst you waive him after a few games.
It did give Sedlak three years to improve his offensive skills in a 1st line role, did it work? Stay tuned!

Lots of conjecture.
Of course, that's better than jumping to conclusions on insufficient data.
Note, I employ lots of caveats, I lack your gift of certainty.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
York blew his shot, that's his fault. He needs to pick up his game, the talent is there, the head?

Laczynski is marginal, 6th rd pick who hasn't done much, hobbled by injuries, may not be 100% yet.
Attard needs time to work on his defensive fundamentals, which aren't good b/c he was a rover in college.
Lycksell is adjusting to NA hockey after a breakout year in the SHL.

Foerster, Desnoyers and Wisdom are all 20, with limited pro experience, some marinating will serve them well.
Good chance one or more will get a shot this spring.

Ersson missed last season and is blocked by Sandstrom.

So who else? Brooks? Marody? Ratcliffe? Wylie? Hogberg? Ginning?

York did not blow his shot actually. The team blew their evaluation. That's their fault, not his. It's shockingly identical to the confused and contradictory failure around Frost last season. They were proven wrong about that, they're wrong about this too.

There are a lot of players listed here that you had as roster locks under the Tortorella Youth Movement, which you insisted would be real and righteous.

This backpedaling is vigorous enough to power a small city.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Guys, Torts had no choice.

There were a lot of special teams so he had literally no other option but to play MacEwen more than every other forward on the entire team.

There was nobody else.

There was no prospect sitting on the bench who had a total of 6 minutes the entire game and definitely had fresh legs, who is inarguably a better player than MacEwen at literally every single aspect of hockey (other than fighting).

Just like Hakstol, Torts is being forced to make these mistakes. He’s not responsible for the team, even though he’s both the coach and the secret GM.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Wait, Lacyzinski is hurt? Then he should be in the AHL until he's 100%, shouldn't he?

European players have different motivations, if the money is close, you're a lot closer to home with a lower cost of living.
And a number of players have gone to the KHL to resurrect their careers, the quality of play is above the SHL or AHL.
Not saying Sedlak has become a star, but it's a no cost "look see," at worst you waive him after a few games.
It did give Sedlak three years to improve his offensive skills in a 1st line role, did it work? Stay tuned!

Of course, that's better than jumping to conclusions on insufficient data.
Note, I employ lots of caveats, I lack your gift of certainty.

You wrote fantasy manifestos about how absolutely certain you were of this youth movement Tortorella would lead and now that it isn't happening you're backpedaling.

Remember all those opening rosters you posted filled with the prospects you were certain Tortorella would select for evaluation? Remember how I kept replying, simply, "That won't happen."

It didn't happen.

Instead of the nonstop rotation from LHV you predicted they're already stacking waiver fodder on the roster. Even with long term injuries they aren't considering York over Braun. Remember how you were fully certain Tortorella would never play Seeler as a regular over any prospect? And I said it was guaranteed be would? Look where we are.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Guys, Torts had no choice.

There were a lot of special teams so he had literally no other option but to play MacEwen more than every other forward on the entire team.

There was nobody else.

There was no prospect sitting on the bench who had a total of 6 minutes the entire game and definitely had fresh legs, who is inarguably a better player than MacEwen at literally every single aspect of hockey (other than fighting).

Just like Hakstol, Torts is being forced to make these mistakes. He’s not responsible for the team, even though he’s both the coach and the secret GM.
Big if true.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
they literaly trying to recreate the BSB in 2022....meanwhile the league has moved on 40+ years ago..

sigh...

Been in the khl the last 3 seasons actually :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Been in the khl the last 3 seasons actually :laugh:

And took a pay cut to do so, based on usual contract progression for guys who can stay in the NHL. Before taking still less pay than he had last time he was here.

Methinks that "better opportunity in the KHL" was more like the only decent opportunity. AKA writing was on the wall that he wasn't gonna be sticking in the NHL. Because he's not really an NHL player.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
This post aged well

Torts' track record says he'll give kids a chance, it's up to them to take advantage of it.
He won't ask Frost to be physical, he will expect him to use his speed to get back on defense as well as drive play on offense.

Most of the scrub veterans will be gone, Torts consistently gave kids shots at jobs at the bottom of the roster, and replaced them with other kids - veterans were brought in at the TDL when the kids failed their audition or injuries piled up.

Seeler is the only one resigned, and he's probably destined for LHV.
Brown is on the second year of his deal.

Connauton, Yandle, MacEwen, Thompson, Jones are unsigned
Brassard, Braun, Mayhew are gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad