Post-Game Talk: #4: FLYERS at Flames, Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2019, 9:00 pm ET

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Shocking that when our stars have an off game, we look like crap. Our bottom 6 is largely dog shit right now.

We have a solid 4th line when slotted properly.

NP and Farabee will do wonders for the top 9.

Moose was solid. Can’t ask for more from your backup.

What more needs to be said about Hagg aka The world’s heaviest anchor?

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Vigneault is a great coach. People turning on him already. People blaming the low minute guys, glossing over just how horribly the “stars” like Jak, Ghost, Giroux, Sanheim, & others played. Scapegoat the whipping boys, but it’s the supposed stars who matter more.

i said this on another site, there's no excuses to change coaches anyone, it wont happen anyway. if we dont make the playoffs, there's going to be a major shake up to the roster.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
One thing for sure is our top end of the lineup minus Konecny is f***in slow and easily checked. The whole team played like shit but its funny how Jake going down hurt that line and JVR going up killed that worse for Hayes as hes playing with no one right now. Bottom 6 werent good last night but they'll be fine but our top players never have speed or chemistry for nice passing play goals except on the pp where you have time. Lets hope for a better game because T and Oscar got you a tie last game and it looks like the bottom lines will have to win this one tonight in EDM.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The team looked like a team on a long road trip with a virus running through the clubhouse, I wouldn't read too much into this game other than Elliott looked like his prime self, and as a backup, should be able to maintain that level of play.

Stewart played as good/bad as Bunnaman, for what that's worth, and skated decently (despite exaggerated reports of his snail like pace).
Hagg outplayed Sanheim, for what that's worth - Sanheim played like he was homesick for Allentown.

So you can't blame this one on the whipping boys, and I don't think Frost/Farabee would have made any difference.
The team looked a step behind and lacking focus all night.

In a 82 game season, you'll have games like this, especially given the first two weeks for this team.
They really need an extended homestand, where they can get rest, and AV can conduct practices more than once a week.

If they can steal one point tonight, it's a great start to the season, I mean this was a brutal five game set.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Oof that was a rough game. Not much good to take away from it.

It was clear they were fighting the puck all night, and the matchups weren't working in their favour at all. Would have been a blowout if not for Elliott.

Quick turnaround and a chance to redeem themselves against the Oil tonight.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To be fair to Voracek, the lines are a bit muddled with Patrick out, and he needs the right chemistry to be effective offensively.
On the other hand, he's not the kind of player who digs down and plays with great energy and instincts on defense to compensate when his offensive game goes south.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Giroux had a bad game, but my god, Voracek is completely lost right now. When the team has a bad game he almost always manages to be one of the worst.

Constantly being put on lines with players that are way underskilled compared to him and the 1st PP not working because they flipped Voracek and G do not help either. Not saying Jake hasn't made a bad play, but he hasn't been playing with anyone in the last game and a half that can help him out of this funk.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Jake is Jake. We know what he is and what he can do.

He's always made mistakes but he also always finds a way to more than make up for it by putting up points. If you're going to see him make a mistake and then actively prevent him from making up for it then of course the team is going to suffer.

The way he's being handled does nothing to help the team and only hurts us. But dino coaches with egos want to appear tough.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The team looked like a team on a long road trip with a virus running through the clubhouse, I wouldn't read too much into this game other than Elliott looked like his prime self, and as a backup, should be able to maintain that level of play.

Stewart played as good/bad as Bunnaman, for what that's worth, and skated decently (despite exaggerated reports of his snail like pace).
Hagg outplayed Sanheim, for what that's worth - Sanheim played like he was homesick for Allentown.

So you can't blame this one on the whipping boys, and I don't think Frost/Farabee would have made any difference.
The team looked a step behind and lacking focus all night.

In a 82 game season, you'll have games like this, especially given the first two weeks for this team.
They really need an extended homestand, where they can get rest, and AV can conduct practices more than once a week.

If they can steal one point tonight, it's a great start to the season, I mean this was a brutal five game set.
I think your first paragraph is correct. Would have been nice to get a nice 4 game homestand or metro play off of the Europe stuff...nope, and it didn't help anything.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
IMO, we really have one fully functional line right now, the Lindblom-Couturier-Konecny line. Last night, they were constantly buzzing around. The Giroux-Hayes isn't working out great with Jake looking invisible and JVR looking slow. I dont even want to get on the bottom two lines who literally don't provide anything. For all the "the 4th line is gonna forecheck and run them hard!" talk, they havent even provided that. They are literally playing a few minutes to spell the top lines.

Reactions: DaphneLion

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Constantly being put on lines with players that are way underskilled compared to him and the 1st PP not working because they flipped Voracek and G do not help either. Not saying Jake hasn't made a bad play, but he hasn't been playing with anyone in the last game and a half that can help him out of this funk.
His bad play was what put him on the 3rd line in the first place though. He started the season with Giroux and Hayes and he was dragging that line down.
He's been invisible on the PP too. I know he's always been somewhat inconsistent, but the lows are too low for my liking.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
His bad play was what put him on the 3rd line in the first place though. He started the season with Giroux and Hayes and he was dragging that line down.
He's been invisible on the PP too. I know he's always been somewhat inconsistent, but the lows are too low for my liking.

I have to ask though, what does putting him on the 3rd line teach him? About hustling? Making the better play? What? I still have no f***ing idea why the broke up the JVR-Hayes-Voracek line, because that line was flying the pre-season and Jake looked really good. But you know, he has to play with Laughton and Raffl/Twar...

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

It would be nice if an $8.whatever million player were able to provide independent strong play and offense, wouldn't it?

Just for kicks I went back and looked at Jake's seasons through the first 10 games, thinking he may be a slow starter.

Well, nope. In fact, this is the first time in his career that he is pointless through the first four games.

Here's what he's looked like through the first 10 games as a Flyer:

18-19, 12pts
17-18, 14pts
16-17, 10pts
15-16, 3pts
14-15, 15pts
13-14, 4pts
12-13, 5pts
11-12, 5pts

Can you believe this is NINTH season with the Flyers?

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
It would be nice if an $8.whatever million player were able to provide independent strong play and offense, wouldn't it?

Just for kicks I went back and looked at Jake's seasons through the first 10 games, thinking he may be a slow starter.

Well, nope. In fact, this is the first time in his career that he is pointless through the first four games.

Here's what he's looked like through the first 10 games as a Flyer:

18-19, 12pts
17-18, 14pts
16-17, 10pts
15-16, 3pts
14-15, 15pts
13-14, 4pts
12-13, 5pts
11-12, 5pts

Can you believe this is NINTH season with the Flyers?
and he shouldnt never gotten that contract, there's a reason why columbus wanted to trade him and homer got fleeced. hate to say it but we got worse when we traded carter and richards.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
and he shouldnt never gotten that contract, there's a reason why columbus wanted to trade him and homer got fleeced. hate to say it but we got worse when we traded carter and richards.

Well, yeah because we traded away a prime Richards and Carter. You're generally going to immediately get worse. That's like half the point of trading away your two best forwards.

Voracek's been amazing for most of his Flyers career. Not his fault we pay attention to a franchise that has spun it's wheels and adopted some of the worst internal logic for key hires for literal years upon years now.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Homer got fleeced by Columbus?

giphy.webp

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have to ask though, what does putting him on the 3rd line teach him? About hustling? Making the better play? What? I still have no ****ing idea why the broke up the JVR-Hayes-Voracek line, because that line was flying the pre-season and Jake looked really good. But you know, he has to play with Laughton and Raffl/Twar...

He was dogshit the first 3 games and JVR deserved to replace him in the top 6.

I am with you on the JVR-Hayes-Voracek line though. They played well in preseason before AV's nonsensical line-juggling late in the preseason has really muddled things up.

Imagine if they just stuck with the Lindblom - Laughton - Farabee line that absolutely dominated that 3rd period against Lausanne? Maybe it continues to work and we have 3 cohesive lines instead of 0?

Honestly, we are lucky to be 2-1-1 with how badly the lineup has been managed so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad