Prospect Info: 4 Amigos: Ranking your Bruins prospects

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Just happy to see Hughes in the top 10. Injuries took him off the radar for many fans. Curious to know which of the amigos had confidence in him as a top 10 prospect?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
What a value pick Lohrei could be if he reaches his potential.

This is true. But I still have some serious questions about their drafting philosophy.

I'm not the smartest cookie in the room and surely not smart enough to be an NHL GM. But here's what I would have done:

All my CHL scouts are sitting at home waiting for puck drop yet all the leagues south of the border that you can draft from are up and running and have been for months.

I would have pulled all my CHL scouts down to the US as soon as pucks dropped (until they drop in the CHL) and heavily scouted the American leagues. I would have told them that we need to nail the 2021 draft and to find me the consensus best player available. No projects, no reaches. Just the best hockey player available to us.

In Lohrei's case, it may work out. Even if he hits his potential, there are more misses then hits.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
This was great to read. I think it leaves me with the same opinion I was having prior. The Bruins do a terrific job identifying defensive talent but needs much improvement at forward, where they consistently go for the safe, depth type player.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
This year before Don Sweeney goes to the podium he should turn on his smartphone. Go to tsn.ca Check who they have going at that spot and select that player. Or best available forward. It's very simple. Bob Mackenzie does all the work for you. DO NOT OVER THINK IT DON!

Reactions: Fenian24 and BMC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm sure there will be some disagreements here. Heck, it wasn't even unanimous among the 4 of us.

This isn't like the other prospect rankings you read where one person looks at every team's prospects and ranks the teams from 1-31. This is a ranking of Bruins prospects only and was done by 4 guys who actually have eyes on the targets. When a decision wasn't unanimous, we discussed/debated for hours and came up with a consensus.

2021 Season Bruins Prospects Ranking- Updated | scoutingpost

That would have made for some good entertainment listening to you guys go back and forth

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Great job Amigos, good stuff as always.

This was great to read. I think it leaves me with the same opinion I was having prior. The Bruins do a terrific job identifying defensive talent but needs much improvement at forward, where they consistently go for the safe, depth type player.

Yeah if you look at that D list we have Lauzon, Zboril and hopefully Vaak and by the sounds of it Lohrei and Ahcan in the mix as potential long-term top 4 D players. Top 6 forwards, not so great. Studnicka and hopefully Beecher in time, after that it seems to become highly speculative. One that does interest me is Jakub Lauko. Terrific skater, great energy. Big problem is staying healthy, with concussions especially being a concern. My understanding too is that he doesn't quite have the high end puck skills of a top 6 player, but if he turned into a 3rd line more explosive version of Bjork that would still be a decent result.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsNetwork

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'm sure there will be some disagreements here. Heck, it wasn't even unanimous among the 4 of us.

This isn't like the other prospect rankings you read where one person looks at every team's prospects and ranks the teams from 1-31. This is a ranking of Bruins prospects only and was done by 4 guys who actually have eyes on the targets. When a decision wasn't unanimous, we discussed/debated for hours and came up with a consensus.

2021 Season Bruins Prospects Ranking- Updated | scoutingpost

Always, always a good read and thoughtful take from the Amigos.

Thank you each for your reports and opinions,

GH

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Great job Amigos, good stuff as always.

Yeah if you look at that D list we have Lauzon, Zboril and hopefully Vaak and by the sounds of it Lohrei and Ahcan in the mix as potential long-term top 4 D players. Top 6 forwards, not so great. Studnicka and hopefully Beecher in time, after that it seems to become highly speculative. One that does interest me is Jakub Lauko. Terrific skater, great energy. Big problem is staying healthy, with concussions especially being a concern. My understanding too is that he doesn't quite have the high end puck skills of a top 6 player, but if he turned into a 3rd line more explosive version of Bjork that would still be a decent result.

I think Lauko has first-round skills with mid-round consistency. He’s an explosive, agile skater and can burn just about anyone he's up against. He’s got a good shot and soft hands, he’s just kind of all over the place some night.

He wants to be a sniper, but sometimes plays like a checking-line forward. The problem is, he’s just not durable enough by nature for that play style. Couple that with his insanely bad luck so far and you have an oft-injured player.

He’s got a ton of skill and also an attitude, edge to him. Just need to see him stay on the ice and figure out what player he wants to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad