GDT: 4/7/13 - Wild @ CBJ - 5:00 PM CT - FSN/FS-WI

Karl

Feb 4, 2005
The State of Hockey
I try to root for PMB as much as I can, but I don't know how much longer I can. He just seems to have accepted that this is his last season in Minnesota and is kind of in a depression mode.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
He has such pretty stick handling and incredible speed.

However, his overall play has not been good since his concussion situation.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I just don't get why people allow themselves to be so quickly pushed over the ledge and yet then come back and be fine once the play ok and win but then jump off the ledge again as soon as they lose a game. Don't you people realize in a season there are going to be ups and downs, wins and losses, bad games and good games, Etc? I don't know just seems crazy

Well, my version of being over the edge is just being really nervous and into it.

But the accurate answer is what MuckOG said. And totally, NHL1674. It is tough being a fan of Minnesota sports.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
It often seems like I'm on Butch's case, but it's not personal. He has talent, but it's frustrating how hard it is to yank it out of him. Over the years, it feels like he plays his best either after being called out by the coach or scratched for a number of games. Then he's good for a few weeks, but starts to regress again.

When he's not afraid and has a fire lit under him, he can definitely make an impact. But it's like he has to be pushed every single time to find that spark. He's been in the league long enough where he shouldn't require a jump start.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
166001117_slide.jpg

166001119_slide.jpg

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
In regards to the playoffs,
1) Easiest way to think of the standings is Wins-RegLosses. In other words, disregard all Overtime Losses.

By this measure, the Wild are +8 (22-14). Typically, prorated to a short season, +6 will get a team in. This year, +5 in the west might even be a good guess (right now, Detroit at #8 is +4 in 4/5 of a season).

So, for the Wild to fall out of the playoffs, they would need to be -3 in the last 10 games. That means 2-5-3 or 3-6-1 for example. Even this would leave them +5 and perhaps still in.

In the meantime, assume the Wild go 2-5-3 and end up 24-19-5. To tie, Phoenix would need 6-3-1 to be 23-18-7. Even at that, the Wild would have a good chance to win the ROW tiebreak.

So, what are the odds of Minnesota going 2-5-3 and Phoenix going 6-3-1? I think not very good is the answer to that.

Good night. Glad we won tonight.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Even when the Wild were bouncing between 4th and 3rd the gap to 9th was pretty steady at 5-6 pts, today it is still 6 pts with the Wild in 6th.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
Very solid game tonight. When the Wild are playing Wild hockey, the disparity between our favorite team, and a team like Columbus is evident. Hopefully, this most recent day off and today's victory is a catalyst for a solid home stretch into the playoffs.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I just don't get why people allow themselves to be so quickly pushed over the ledge and yet then come back and be fine once the play ok and win but then jump off the ledge again as soon as they lose a game. Don't you people realize in a season there are going to be ups and downs, wins and losses, bad games and good games, Etc? I don't know just seems crazy

Its because of how fast things can go south for Minnesota teams.

The Wild were doing amazing last year and then just died, only to rebound at the end of the year when it didnt matter anymore.

The Twins a couple years ago were on pace for a 100 win season and then the moment they clinched their division, they gave up, and then **** the bed in the playoffs against the Yankees.

And the Vikings? Two numbers: 98 and 09.

And the Timberwolves? Who cares? Basketball sucks.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Damn, sounds like I missed a great game.
Sucks that Koivu got no points, though.
I'm temporarily off the ledge.

He's been unlucky as of late. The points will start coming again, he's still playing well.

It was good to see Granlund draw confidence from the assist he got. It's so important for a young player like him to get the feeling that he can really do this and make something good happen.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I hope granlund can build off this game, it'd be a huge boost for the team for him to be able to fill in on the 2c. Kinda sucked on face offs though.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Being an emotionally invested MN sports fan for a few decades will drive you crazy. As a Wild, Twins, and Vikes fan, I've learned that we just can't have nice things. And even after getting burned 16,938 times, I still fall victim to it every freaking year. :biglaugh:

You know, as a Finn AND a Wild fan, I feel you. Every year they fizzle out seemed to be the defining trope of Finnish ice hockey. We had won gold once, in 1995. We've been beaten in the finals, or semi-finals, or quarterfinals, by future champions. We've beaten future champions, but we were never able to take the gold again.

Until 2011.

It was pure magic. When a god damn country goes crazy and people run half-naked across the streets of the capital city, you know something big has happened. And you know that no other sport could spark such an emotion from our usually depressed and melancholic souls.

Minnesota deserves to get the Stanley Cup. And as a Wild fan, it's of course what I'm wishing they do. While we should, um, "manage our expectations", it's just natural for a human being to get excited when there's a prospect of accomplishing a task, even though we (as fans) have very little to do with it. And that's why the disappointment is so great. Not getting something is acceptable and even expected when you didn't really have a chance to begin with. You just shrug and keep going. But to get the taste of the filet mignon, and then getting rotten eggs served rectally instead? Yeah, that's just cruel.

It's no wonder we're so bipolar. Another part of me, personally, wants to go be excited at the though in Minnesota Wild fielding a competitive playoff team. Another part of me wants to be realistic and say that, while we probably make the playoffs, we're not ready to go deep yet. And of course there's always the ledge. Sometimes I feel like giving some people help while they're standing on it, other times I want to take a dive off it myself. Either way, as someone put it, we're on the gift shop near the ledge. The next few games will decide whether we're starting to plan the parade or arrange the funeral. It's annoying, but that's the way it goes, and I realize that I'm not exactly free from it either.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I hope granlund can build off this game, it'd be a huge boost for the team for him to be able to fill in on the 2c. Kinda sucked on face offs though.

I think I read something about Cullen being back soon. I assume Granlund will go down as soon as that happens.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
You know, as a Finn AND a Wild fan, I feel you. Every year they fizzle out seemed to be the defining trope of Finnish ice hockey. We had won gold once, in 1995. We've been beaten in the finals, or semi-finals, or quarterfinals, by future champions. We've beaten future champions, but we were never able to take the gold again.

Until 2011.

It was pure magic. When a god damn country goes crazy and people run half-naked across the streets of the capital city, you know something big has happened. And you know that no other sport could spark such an emotion from our usually depressed and melancholic souls.

Minnesota deserves to get the Stanley Cup. And as a Wild fan, it's of course what I'm wishing they do. While we should, um, "manage our expectations", it's just natural for a human being to get excited when there's a prospect of accomplishing a task, even though we (as fans) have very little to do with it. And that's why the disappointment is so great. Not getting something is acceptable and even expected when you didn't really have a chance to begin with. You just shrug and keep going. But to get the taste of the filet mignon, and then getting rotten eggs served rectally instead? Yeah, that's just cruel.

It's no wonder we're so bipolar. Another part of me, personally, wants to go be excited at the though in Minnesota Wild fielding a competitive playoff team. Another part of me wants to be realistic and say that, while we probably make the playoffs, we're not ready to go deep yet. And of course there's always the ledge. Sometimes I feel like giving some people help while they're standing on it, other times I want to take a dive off it myself. Either way, as someone put it, we're on the gift shop near the ledge. The next few games will decide whether we're starting to plan the parade or arrange the funeral. It's annoying, but that's the way it goes, and I realize that I'm not exactly free from it either.

If the Wild went on a run and Koivu ended up somehow getting the Conn Smythe, how would Finland react? Just curious.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
I think I read something about Cullen being back soon. I assume Granlund will go down as soon as that happens.

Still, building a little confidence here and taking that back to Houston would be huge for the kid.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN

Granlund outplayed PMB tonight. If he continues to do that, he might stick around after Cullen comes back. Though smart money would bet on Granlund down and Zucker back up to play with Cullen and Seto.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Granlund outplayed PMB tonight. If he continues to do that, he might stick around after Cullen comes back. Though smart money would bet on Granlund down and Zucker back up to play with Cullen and Seto.

I just want PMB on the bench. Bench him and bring up Zucker. Deal with Cullen when he comes back.

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/2013-articles/april/wild-vs-bjs.html

Pretty good effort. Charlie Coyle, everything you want to see out of a budding power forward prospect. Strength, good awareness in traffic areas of the ice and strong play along the boards. Brodin and Suter made the Columbus forecheck a non-factor all night. And Backstrom, pretty good and the defenseman did a nice job of supporting him. I have a full game recap plus an Aeros update as well as prospect updates on Graovac and Bussieres. Enjoy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad