GDT: 4/7/13 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Washington

TBLbrian

Mar 5, 2008
NC
I would be upset if we bought out Vinny. We don't have a 2nd line center replacement, esp one even close to his skill level. When he is healthy he can still make plays, he helps the team instead of hurting it. Yeah, his contract sucks but he has to be a priority over Malone.

want Pyatt to be the 2nd line center?

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Let's see:

Pissing away $30 million to have Lecavalier not play for your club so you can free up $7.7 million in cap space OR spending a fraction of that ($3.3 million) to clear up a good chunk of cap space ($4.5 million) by buying out Malone?

Yeah, that's a pretty easy call. So much more bang for your buck when you do a real dollars spent to cap space dollars freed up analysis. Especially when you consider that wing is the position TB is deepest at in terms of NHL-ready talent.

Definitely. Good post. People are acting like Vinny sucks. He doesn't. Malone is never healthy. Granted, Vinny isn't healthy a lot either, but with Malone, it isn't even a contest. He hasn't played more than half of this season. And when he did play, to my recollection, didn't give much to the club. Vinny has had more chances in two games than Malone has all season when he's played.

Trade Malone and try to get something of value for him before you buy him out, definitely. But trading Vinny isn't the answer I don't think. Who would be his replacement? The kids from the minors have quite a ways to go before they reach Vinny's level. We're high on these kids because they work hard. I'm really hoping that translates into results on the scoresheet, but for now, we don't have anyone to replace Vinny on the scoresheet.

I will say that Vinny's cap hit isn't doing us any favors. Everyone knows that. But I would definitely get rid of Malone before I considered giving Vinny the boot.

EDIT: The post above me said in essence what I did, but in much fewer words.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I would be upset if we bought out Vinny. We don't have a 2nd line center replacement, esp one even close to his skill level. When he is healthy he can still make plays, he helps the team instead of hurting it. Yeah, his contract sucks but he has to be a priority over Malone.

want Pyatt to be the 2nd line center?

I agree with this 100%, I would be pretty upset to see Vinny bought out. I believe he deserves much better, and despite being overpaid by the club, he signed a long-term deal in good faith and to signal his loyalty to the organization. We'll just have to cope with his contract and hope he can stay healthy and continue to create scoring opportunities like he did tonight.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Was watching Wrestlemania and didn't watch the game. What did I miss? How did we do, where did we suck, I don't have the effort to read through all the pages.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Was watching Wrestlemania and didn't watch the game. What did I miss? How did we do, where did we suck, I don't have the effort to read through all the pages.

:biglaugh: Sorry if you're serious, but god damn that was hilarious and an unexpected comment

TBLbrian

Mar 5, 2008
NC
I agree with this 100%, I would be pretty upset to see Vinny bought out. I believe he deserves much better, and despite being overpaid by the club, he signed a long-term deal in good faith and to signal his loyalty to the organization. We'll just have to cope with his contract and hope he can stay healthy and continue to create scoring opportunities like he did tonight.

exactly, the going rate to replace him with someone even half as good would be in the upper 5M at least. For 2mill, you let kids take over the bottom six save money and keep the captain.

All the best teams in the NHL have 2 legit top 2 centers, we need Vinny and when he is healthy he is an asset to the team.

Yzlamic Preacher*

:biglaugh: Sorry if you're serious, but god damn that was hilarious and an unexpected comment

I have watched wrestling for almost 30 years. Now a days though, I only watch Wrestlemania mostly because the current product is complete ****. But yes i was not joking.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I have watched wrestling for almost 30 years. Now a days though, I only watch Wrestlemania mostly because the current product is complete ****. But yes i was not joking.

I used to watch wrestling back in the day too, now it's over dramatized (if that's possible haha) and I find it too gimmicky. My favourite times were when the factions were a big deal: D-X, Nation of Domination, The Ministry, The Hardy Boyz, The Dudley Bothers etc (Evolution later was a great heel stable as well). I also enjoyed the whole WWF vs. WCW feud and the return of the Rock is always entertaining. Bret Hart, Mr.Perfect, Shawn Michaels, Hulk Hogan, the British Bulldog, Sid Vicious among other awesome legends in the 90's made up most of my wrestling memories.

To answer your original question, Bishop was solid again, the kids were all good and there was a lot of effort all around, but we lacked the finish when it mattered most. Killorn scored a sweet goal on a breakaway too. Stamkos seemingly continued his pattern of disappearing when we need him most, Vinny was robbed on two scoring opportunities in the first when he was left all alone in front of the net and Teddy wasn't as dominant with the puck as he had been in past games.

Oh, and we really miss Hedman on defence.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Agreed but I also don't see them buying him out. They will trade Malone. His NMC becomes a limited NTC and opens up a lot of options.

Yes, this is a possibility and it is the avenue I see Yzerman trying to explore first (and hope he succeeds in). Was just shedding light on the difference in the cost-benefit of buying out Malone and Lecavalier.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We don't have to buy Malone out, we can eat up to half his salary and caphit in a trade. For what he brings when healthy that would be a bargain.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
exactly, the going rate to replace him with someone even half as good would be in the upper 5M at least. For 2mill, you let kids take over the bottom six save money and keep the captain.

All the best teams in the NHL have 2 legit top 2 centers, we need Vinny and when he is healthy he is an asset to the team.

Where is our second one? Don't say Steven Standclose.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Let's see:

Pissing away $30 million to have Lecavalier not play for your club so you can free up $7.7 million in cap space OR spending a fraction of that ($3.3 million) to clear up a good chunk of cap space ($4.5 million) by buying out Malone?

Yeah, that's a pretty easy call. So much more bang for your buck when you do a real dollars spent to cap space dollars freed up analysis. Especially when you consider that wing is the position TB is deepest at in terms of NHL-ready talent.

Vinny's cap hit will be there for 7 more years.
Malone's cap hit will be there for only 2 years.

Of course I would want to get rid of Malone first but Vinny's contract will be a big problem in the future.

LGB 26

Feb 14, 2012
Tampa
To take the positive away from this game. It looked like they had an actual forecheck going. There were multiple times I saw MSL knocking someone off the puck. Still to much poke checking for my liking but it's a step.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Aulie looked good from what I saw. Gudas had a better game.

Stamkos needs to shoot instead of trying to get within three feet of the net before shooting.

When Bishop gets into his groove he's a wall.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Vinny's cap hit will be there for 7 more years.
Malone's cap hit will be there for only 2 years.

Of course I would want to get rid of Malone first but Vinny's contract will be a big problem in the future.

Tunnel vision.

Even if Yzerman uses neither of the two amnesty buyouts, Salo ($3.8 million cap hit) comes off the books in 2014 and, between Vinny Prospal's buyout ($1.2 million), Marty St. Louis ($5.6 million), Ryan Malone ($4.5 million) and Eric Brewer ($3.9 million), Tampa Bay is set to receive an additional $15.2 million in cap relief after the following season. And Teddy Purcell ($4.5 million) is UFA the season after that.

That's more than enough space to keep one of St. Louis or Purcell in the fold if you so desire, absorb increases to the kids making noise now and promote others deeper in the system at the moment, especially when you consider that, after being lowered to $64 million for next season, the cap ceiling is likely begin a year-to-year climb as in seasons past.

Last edited:

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Alex Killorn tried to play the puck from the bench. WTF?! Is this guy new to hockey or something? LOL... Wow.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I was very displeased when I saw Killorn do that. That's a no-no and he should know better.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Lightning logic:
Ryane Clowe does it = loved
Alex Killorn does it = no-no

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad