GDT: 4/7/13 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Washington

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
The kids are fine, Bishop was solid. It's the veterans that need to step up: Stamkos, Teddy, Marty etc. were just not good enough today. They skated hard but were not creating or finishing their chances. This game would have looked much different with Hedman in the line-up...

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
Too little, too late. We almost beat their backup goalie, yippee. Misc. grumble, grumble.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I can't remember, was there ever a period where Stamkos scored meaningful goals? The guy only seems to show up on the score sheet when it's already 2-0 Lightning.

Or when we're already down a couple goals. He's been noticeably poor this season in almost every aspect of the game.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I can't remember, was there ever a period where Stamkos scored meaningful goals? The guy only seems to show up on the score sheet when it's already 2-0 Lightning.

I disagree with almost everything you've said lately, except this. Stamkos needs to show up when it matters. He's supposed to be our best player. He set an OT goal record last season ffs.

Also, just seeing that Ovechkin topic on the main board disgusts me, because Stamkos is so much better. The thing is... He's not. It's hard to explain.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Hedman and Palat make this game look different. Ah well, at least we can look towards next season now - Palat needs to spend his summer bulking up, as well as Johnson. Barberio needs to prepare for an extended look, as well as Sustr.

Then you really need to take a long hard look at the elephant in the room which is buying Lecavalier out.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
This game also would have been much different if Vinny put away one of those two chances he had all alone in front of the net.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Hedman and Palat make this game look different. Ah well, at least we can look towards next season now - Palat needs to spend his summer bulking up, as well as Johnson. Barberio needs to prepare for an extended look, as well as Sustr.

Then you really need to take a long hard look at the elephant in the room which is buying Lecavalier out.

It happens in 2014 offseason. Need cap space for that Stamkos extension which will be coming in a few years.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Heh... Bishop with the godly saves.

glad to hear this. too bad you couldn't pull out a couple Ws these last 2 but at least bishop is looking like he'll help you going forward. Seen enough of cory now, i think the deal was pretty fair. (so far anyway):)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The kids are fine, Bishop was solid. It's the veterans that need to step up: Stamkos, Teddy, Marty etc. were just not good enough today. They skated hard but were not creating or finishing their chances. This game would have looked much different with Hedman in the line-up...

You have to be kidding, what kind of game were you watching?

St.louis was all over the ice today, amazing defensive and offensive effort from the little guy today, he created a ton of chances also.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Connolly goes into Perimeter-Mode in this league. Needs to go to the spots he goes to in the AHL, until he does, he won't score much.

But he has size and Cooper likes him more. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, if he played with half of Conachers grit he'd be a surefire star.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
It happens in 2014 offseason. Need cap space for that Stamkos extension which will be coming in a few years.

It's use 'em or lose 'em for the amnesty this offseason, so if we're going to buy Vinny out, it's this summer or never, pretty much.

Non-amnesty buyouts are a disaster. Vinny Prospal is still hampering our cap situation to this day.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I seriously think it happens this offseason. Either he, or Malone.

Thank you. I don't think you'll see a Malone buyout because his actual money will be minimal for what a guy like him brings when he's healthy. Lecavalier HAS to be bought out though. His deal has handcuffed the Lightning since it was signed. You can pickup two top 4 defensemen for what he costs the team and will be infinitely more valuable than Lecavalier. Can a team resign a guy after a buyout? I'd be all about bringing him back in for 3-4 mil after the buyout.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
/season. Stamkos has been miserable this season. If only he didn't loaf for 30 of the 38 games he's played this season, imagine how many goals he'd have. And is it just me or does he seem to always take the puck with speed up the right boards, protect the puck, circle behind the net and then give it away? He must do that 4 or 5 times a game. His puck control this year is awful, no strength on the puck in the O-zone and no clue in the D-zone. At least Vinny is making plays in both zones, so I'd take him over Stammer right now.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Thank you. I don't think you'll see a Malone buyout because his actual money will be minimal for what a guy like him brings when he's healthy. Lecavalier HAS to be bought out though. His deal has handcuffed the Lightning since it was signed. You can pickup two top 4 defensemen for what he costs the team and will be infinitely more valuable than Lecavalier. Can a team resign a guy after a buyout? I'd be all about bringing him back in for 3-4 mil after the buyout.

Nope

str8shooter

Apr 7, 2013
/season. Stamkos has been miserable this season. If only he didn't loaf for 30 of the 38 games he's played this season, imagine how many goals he'd have. And is it just me or does he seem to always take the puck with speed up the right boards, protect the puck, circle behind the net and then give it away? He must do that 4 or 5 times a game. His puck control this year is awful, no strength on the puck in the O-zone and no clue in the D-zone. At least Vinny is making plays in both zones, so I'd take him over Stammer right now.

100% agree. Sad.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
It's use 'em or lose 'em for the amnesty this offseason, so if we're going to buy Vinny out, it's this summer or never, pretty much.

Non-amnesty buyouts are a disaster. Vinny Prospal is still hampering our cap situation to this day.

No, they can do an amnesty buyout even in the 2014 offseason.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga

After they wait for one year.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
You have to be kidding, what kind of game were you watching?

St.louis was all over the ice today, amazing defensive and offensive effort from the little guy today, he created a ton of chances also.

I was referring to more in general over the past few games. The veterans are not stepping up when we need them to with timely goals. Marty's effort was admirable tonight, I was just hoping for more offensively from his line.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
I seriously think it happens this offseason. Either he, or Malone.

Let's see:

Pissing away $30 million to have Lecavalier not play for your club so you can free up $7.7 million in cap space OR spending a fraction of that ($3.3 million) to clear up a good chunk of cap space ($4.5 million) by buying out Malone?

Yeah, that's a pretty easy call. So much more bang for your buck when you do a real dollars spent to cap space dollars freed up analysis. Especially when you consider that wing is the position TB is deepest at in terms of NHL-ready talent.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I really don't see how people can try to justify keeping Malone over Vinny. "When he's healthy he brings a lot to the team"...Malone is healthy like 20 games a year. He gets 2-3 injuries each year without fail. He's the most expensive China doll ever.

Vinny may miss time too but he brings far more than Malone does. That's not debatable.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Let's see:

Pissing away $30 million to have Lecavalier not play for your club so you can free up $7.7 million in cap space OR spending a fraction of that ($3.3 million) to clear up a good chunk of cap space ($4.5 million) by buying out Malone?

Yeah, that's a pretty easy call. So much more bang for your buck when you do a real dollars spent to cap space dollars freed up analysis. Especially when you consider that wing is the position TB is deepest at in terms of NHL-ready talent.

Agreed but I also don't see them buying him out. They will trade Malone. His NMC becomes a limited NTC and opens up a lot of options. There aren many teams that wouldn't give up a least a 3rd for him I would bet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->