GDT: 4/5/14 | Pittsburgh Penguins @ Minnesota Wild | 7:00PM CDT/3:00AM Suomi | FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Agreed I think Yeo has done a good job down the stretch here

I think the Wild are currently sitting in the position that most Wild fans predicted they would be (3rd or 4th in the Central) at the beginning of the season. But what most fans didn't predict would be the goalie carousel and the injuries to Parise, Koivu, Brodin and Granlund. I think Yeo has done a decent (not great) job, especially under these circumstances and hasn't done anything to prove to me that he doesn't deserve another shot.

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
I really dont' know what exactly to expect from this team. All in all that was a truly great game last night. This team just seems so darn bipolar sometimes. I really dont' know what to expect. That first goal by Haula getting around the defenders with his speed and making a great play on the puck really set the tone for the rest of the game. Good to see so many people playing well last night especially the Captain. Also really love Bryz's new mask that someone posted pictures of earlier in the thread. That wasn't the one he wore last night was it? I guess I didnt' notice if it was. I just wish that he would have had the classic Sonic characters instead of the ones from Sonic Adventure.. But perhaps he really likes those games so yeah. Still cool! :) Hopefully we keep this up!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The inconsistency is frustrating. The team will win 8 of 10 and then lose 7 of 10.

The other frustrating part is that the strong personnel decisions were forced upon him rather than his invention. The team didn't start winning until Koivu went out and Granlund got a chance. Then everyone was healthy and they got Moulson and started losing. Granlund gets hurt and now they are winning again because Haula got a chance.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
I thought you were umplying he hasn't played as well as he is since Phoenix... I was saying his play never dropped... just his stats did, and was pointing out why.

No worries, just a discussion. ;)

Also, not everyone on these boards knew this... many bought the media hype about his being crazy and not all that good. I've always liked Bryz though myself, and never believed the crap the media was spewing.

He's a goalie who needs a good defense in front of him. Especially since he spits out a lot of rebounds. I've been a fan of Bryz since he came up in Anaheim. Round of applause to him rising to the challenge here. Who would have thought he'd pick up 14 points for us (5-0-4).
Our goalies this year- Harding gets us off to a great start, Kuemper comes in and saves the season and Bryz locks down our playoff spot.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The inconsistency is frustrating. The team will win 8 of 10 and then lose 7 of 10.

The other frustrating part is that the strong personnel decisions were forced upon him rather than his invention. The team didn't start winning until Koivu went out and Granlund got a chance. Then everyone was healthy and they got Moulson and started losing. Granlund gets hurt and now they are winning again because Haula got a chance.
That to me is the most damning part of this season for Yeo. His pandering to favorites trumps what is clearly earned on the ice. He refuses to award young players out playing his favorite vets until he has no other choice in the matter.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That to me is the most damning part of this season for Yeo. His pandering to favorites trumps what is clearly earned on the ice. He refuses to award young players out playing his favorite vets until he has no other choice in the matter.

They only real demonstration of that is the recent Brodziak/Haula scenario, which I don't think a lot of coaches would've been too quick to make that swap, no matter how many chances Brodziak would flub.

Honorable mention to the Coyle/Nino decision, although Coyle's recent play has partially vindicated him on that.

But it all doesn't really matter. Coaches don't get fired/not renewed for lineup decisions; they get fired for not meeting expectations, and while I don't know what Fletcher/Leipold's expectations were, everybody on here had us behind St. Louis and Chicago which we currently are.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They don't necessarily get contract extensions though either.

If he had already met expectations or exceeded them, he'd have his extension already.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Fletcher's decision regarding Yeo is going to rely heavily on expectations for this year, as well as expectations for next year and the year after. If Fletcher feels that Yeo will be improving the team enough to meet higher expectations in the upcoming years, I believe they will extend him. If not, we'll be looking for a new coach not long after our season ends. Even when Fletcher fired Richards, he indicated the day after doing so that that he did not have specific coaches in mind to replace Richards.

This year, we may only be expected to be about where we are this year, but I'd be disappointed if Leipold does not raise those expectations if they are indeed being met. Personally, I just don't feel that, based on the past three seasons, Yeo will be able to meet those raised expectations. Yes, he's had several injuries to key players and but that's not exactly uncommon for any NHL coach. Every coach faces adversity and how they deal with adversity says a lot about their ability as a coach.

I welcome Yeo to change my mind, but again, I just don't see it happening.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal

Yup. Inconsistency's been a theme of his tenure here, and while the hot streak is a nice feeling right now, and I definitely give him credit for that, it still doesn't completely address those long-standing concerns. That said, we're back to meeting expectations on the season, which is a good thing. That is, of course, assuming we make a respectable showing in the playoffs (ideally that means winning a round, but I think bringing the series to 6-7 games is a reasonable expectation for a 7th seed).

If I'm Fletcher, I feel around and see who's available after the season. If there's nobody who comes on the market who is an obvious improvement, then I think Yeo has earned a short (1-2 year) extension based on the overall results, even if there are some issues with the product on the ice that got us there.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Coach gets all the blame when the team isn't playing well, but no credit when they are?

I'll give him major props for finally getting Haula a shot (he could have done it another way after all) and keeping Heatley in the Sheppard Suite. But let's not forget as well, Koivu/Suter/Parise had one on ones with everyone during the away stand.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I don't know what to think when it comes to Yeo. I do blame the bi-polar, up and down stuff on him though. Yet there are times when you can tell his coaching is working, too. It's very tough. I think he gets fired only if they completely lay an egg in the playoffs. I do think if we should somehow get past the first round, though, he's definitely staying.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
They don't necessarily get contract extensions though either.

If he had already met expectations or exceeded them, he'd have his extension already.

I believe Yeo has met expectations. He has gotten this team in the top third in the league record wise for the last two seasons. What held back any extension he could of been offered was the roller coaster ride the team took to get at this point.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I believe Yeo has met expectations. He has gotten this team in the top third in the league record wise for the last two seasons. What held back any extension he could of been offered was the roller coaster ride the team took to get at this point.

We were 15th last year and sit 11th right now, but I agree about the 'meeting expectations' part.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
The team has gotten better every year under Yeo. Has he met expectations and deserve a extension? Sure, but is he the man management wants and trusts in control of the team in two years when we should be in your golden years. That's the question.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
True, but I'd say that has more to do with a more appealing options available.

Agreed. I think Fletcher and Leipold want to see how the season ends before making a decision on whether to extend him or not. Yeo's not out of the picture (at least not yet) but it seems possible that there will be several decent candidates available in the offseason and I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to explore the non-Yeo options to speed up the process of making the Wild into a Cup contender.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The team has gotten better every year under Yeo. Has he met expectations and deserve a extension? Sure, but is he the man management wants and trusts in control of the team in two years when we should be in your golden years. That's the question.

But has the team improved proportionally to the talent we've been bringing in?

To me the answer is no. I think we should be a much better, much more consistent team at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad