GDT: 4/4/22 - 7:30PM EDT - Toronto vs Tampa Bay

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
Lol Cooper is finally saying that making the playoffs isn’t a guarantee now.

Clown shoes after acting like it’s a non-issue for weeks/months, watching your team embarrass itself night after night, and then having to backtrack.
Who could possibly catch them?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
You guys are delusional if you think Vasy is taking his foot off the pedal (for reasons). Guy has been consistently outplayed by goalies like J. Campbell this year. They'll only go as far as he takes them and that's bad news with his current play.
While I agree that Vasy is playing like trash as of late(same as the rest of the team), for the lack of team defense in front of him this year, his stats aren't that bad. .919 and 2.37 gaa. His best ever in a reg season when he's been the primary #1 has been .925 and 2.21 from the stats I could find(last year). He was .920 and 2.62 in '17-'18, 2.40 and .925 in 18-19, 2.56 and .917 in 19-20, so his overall stats this year aren't anything out of line. He's looked pretty average the past 6 weeks compared to playoff and peak Vasy, but I won't be worried until he starts giving up 4+ consistently in the playoffs. I think the team has serious problems don't get me wrong, but Vasy has still been overall solid.

Reactions: Hoek

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Toronto was determined to win for the whole 60, we looked decent for 20 and then stopped to watch the Leafs play hockey.

This just doesn't look like one of the best teams in the league this season. I won't give up hope, but we'll be lucky to get out of the first round unless we really flip the switch.

Only bright spot has been the Colton line lately. Stamkos looks horrendous, I'm not sure what the move is there. Even though Palat is slumping, I'd rather seem him back with Point and Kucherov. Lastly, McDonagh is a big loss and it really showed in tonight's game.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Stamkos, Kuch, and Point all look like they're playing not to get hurt before the playoffs.

If they can flip a switch, fine. But I think weeks/months of bad habits are harder to break than they think.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
There's a lack of tenacity that we haven't replaced. Gourde-Goodrow-Coleman were some of the most consistent players in the league. Win or lose, they always showed up and gave opponents hell. On top of that, they were one of the best defensive forward lines in the league.

We just don't have that this season, and its a huge difference maker. I want to see Coop give this a chance:

Palat-Point-Kucherov
Hagel-Colton-Stamkos
Killorn-Cirelli-Paul
Maroon-PEB-Perry

At this point it's almost like Stamkos is weighing down his linemates, and we neeed a true shutdown line anyway. Get some youthful exuberance beside him.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Cooper has to mix his lines and now. This stacking line one is not helping the overall team.

Can he figure that out ? Not sure.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
There's a lack of tenacity that we haven't replaced. Gourde-Goodrow-Coleman were some of the most consistent players in the league. Win or lose, they always showed up and gave opponents hell. On top of that, they were one of the best defensive forward lines in the league.

We just don't have that this season, and its a huge difference maker. I want to see Coop give this a chance:

Palat-Point-Kucherov
Hagel-Colton-Stamkos
Killorn-Cirelli-Paul
Maroon-PEB-Perry

At this point it's almost like Stamkos is weighing down his linemates, and we neeed a true shutdown line anyway. Get some youthful exuberance beside him.

I thought the Hagel - Colton - Paul line played their ass off tonight and should of scored 2. But I do agree the 2nd line right now is f***ing terrible

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Cooper has to mix his lines and now. This stacking line one is not helping the overall team.

Can he figure that out ? Not sure.

Stamkos, Point, Kuch (and maybe Palat and Killorn?) are all such defensive liabilities that I think you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Put 2 or 3 of them together...that line is getting scored on...a lot. Mix them up with other guys...congrats, you now have 3 mediocre defensive lines.

Until those guys decide to play 2-way hockey, we're f***ed no matter how Cooper arranges the lines.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I wrote 2-3 weeks or so ago about not having too concern about whether they're beating playoff teams in the regular season, but I think I wrote that about nine-games-vs-playoff-teams ago and they have failed just about every test since then.

After tonight, the Lightning have played 20 games vs. Eastern playoff teams this season. Their record? Three regulation wins, 10 regulation losses, seven games decided in OT. They have a .150 regulation W% against Eastern playoff teams this year. That's f***ing wretched. They've played 11 home games and won ONE of them. And those three wins? Zero have come in 2022. Away against the Penguins in October, home to Washington in October, and away to Toronto in early December. That's it. Every single game vs. an Eastern playoff team since then has either ended up in overtime, or a regulation loss (it's 10 games total btw in that time frame, if my math is correct.)

At a certain point, there's no choice but for it to start looking like a massive area of concern. Our goal difference is -23. This is bad. And the playoffs are right around the corner, so there's no more time to dick around with this. We're not talking one or two teams that's been a problematic matchup for us. Our head-to-head goal difference is in the red against every single Eastern playoff team except for the Capitals (+1 there, woot). We look bad against every single one of these teams right now.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Stamkos, Point, Kuch (and maybe Palat and Killorn?) are all such defensive liabilities that I think you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Put 2 or 3 of them together...that line is getting scored on...a lot. Mix them up with other guys...congrats, you now have 3 mediocre defensive lines.

Until those guys decide to play 2-way hockey, we're f***ed no matter how Cooper arranges the lines.
I don't think they are defensive liabilities so much as they have a tendency to try and feather cute saucer passes through traffic in the offensive zone or attempt last moment high risk feints which often put each other out of position, and more often than not, if the puck is picked off or not corralled perfectly, lead to 2-on-1s the other way.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
The best spin I can put on a game like today is that our conference rivals have something to prove to themselves and to Tampa, as the defending champs. It seems like the Bolts don't feel like they have to prove anything to anyone until the playoffs start. And in these playoffs, almost all opponents are equal (although I'd prefer we meet Carolina over Florida).

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Case in point. Palat 20 feet away nobody around him and he puts the puck in a 100% save area. No juice. He's broken.

Hasn't scored in nearly three months. Jan. 11 vs. Buffalo was his last game scoring. 0 G, 7 A in his last 26 games. I knew his shooting percentage was abnormally high for quite some time; sure enough it's actually now dipped slightly below his last two seasons' shooting percent figures.

Hopefully he'll find some goal scoring form and general production form again at some point, but truth is that as much as we'll miss him for the memories that come with his name, his play of late is making it easier and easier to say goodbye with the contract he's expected to get in free agency. He's always been a two-way player so looking at G/A/P does him a disservice, but his overall projection right now is pedestrian for a second liner and his production the last three months belongs nowhere near a top-6 spot in the lineup.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
The best spin I can put on a game like today is that our conference rivals have something to prove to themselves and to Tampa, as the defending champs. It seems like the Bolts don't feel like they have to prove anything to anyone until the playoffs start. And in these playoffs, almost all opponents are equal (although I'd prefer we meet Carolina over Florida).

I still agree with the last sentence about all opponents are more-or-less equal, and I doubt that stance will change no matter what, but unless they're actively trying to actually slide into the Metro for the playoffs - if the playoffs began right now, they would in fact slide into the Metro given Florida's #1 overall spot - failing to win every single time you face a team you might face in the playoffs is just a terrible look after a while. This isn't just a game here or a game there anymore. As I wrote above, they don't have a regulation win over an Eastern playoff team since early December. It's been four months by now since they last did that. You'd think a team as good as they are would just luck into one at some point and they aren't even doing that.

(I focus on regulation wins because 3v3 OT and shootouts don't exist in the playoffs. I literally couldn't care less about what happens during those parts of the game. They have zero value.)

To a certain extent, two Cups gives them some benefit of the doubt no matter what as the playoffs roll around. We did see them flip the switch from the last two regular season Florida games and the Florida playoff series last year, I get it. But for their own sake, they need to start winning at least some of these games just for proof that they can still do it at all. It was one thing in March with the tough travel schedule managing all of that...but getting blown off your own ice by the Leafs? How are you not sharp and ready to play 60 minutes in this game?

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
The thing I hate the most about losing to Toronto is their delusional fans getting their hopes up even more that "this is their year".
Spoiler alert: it isn't. It. never. is.

Reactions: CometStang and Hoek

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I don't know about you guys but I'm getting tired of being dunked on by every good team we play. Even the Carolina game was them on the second game of a back to back and they almost gave that away too.

I don't buy the excuse of them coasting through the regular season. A team as good as us should have more pride than getting destroyed 6-2 at home against a potential playoff opponent. The only saving grace is that we're locked into a playoff spot so maybe there's a switch they can flip, but the longer this shit play continues, the harder it will get.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
While it's not only due to this, the main issue in the past 5-6 weeks is the number of errors/mistakes. Lot of turn-overs and giveaways, which can be due to nerves, we've seen it happen in important games, but that wouldn't be the case now. Confidence is another factor that plays in and while it's been bit of an issue in recent months, I still think there is something else more important..

So it really boils down to the focus, if you are not fully focused, you will be punished, especially against better teams, as we've seen. Both Florida and Toronto got really potent offense, Canes, Pens and Bruins are not bad either in that department. Our trademark during these two cup runs was the tight defense, how we could hold onto a lead etc. Playoffs tend to be much more tight and less of the gung-ho offense that we see during the regular season.

I'm sure they are aware that they can't play like this in the playoffs or they will be out quick, I still think we will see a clear difference when the playoffs starts, so not overly worried, but guess time will tell.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Glad I went to sleep when it was 2-2. What a barf inducing effort.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
You guys are delusional if you think Vasy is taking his foot off the pedal (for reasons). Guy has been consistently outplayed by goalies like J. Campbell this year. They'll only go as far as he takes them and that's bad news with his current play.
03EAC8E3-B1FF-4945-AD18-4F3673FF1BEA.jpeg

if him being a top 5 goalie isn’t good enough then this team is doomed

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
The thing I hate the most about losing to Toronto is their delusional fans getting their hopes up even more that "this is their year".
Spoiler alert: it isn't. It. never. is.

This made me laugh, because it's so true. I wouldn't ever bet Tampa out of contention for the Stanley Cup, they still have their key pieces, and let's be honest Toronto needed that win more than Tampa. Tampa has really nothing to prove, they have proven it already the last 2 years, not surprised that they look unmotivated, at times you can see them turn it up, game would have been very different if Vasilevskiy played his game. As a fan we tend to ride the wave at the moment, trust me I'm a Toronto fan, but Tampa has played ALOT of hockey over the 2 years, many emotional and tough games, not many can expect a team to be really motivated for game 69 after what they have accomplished, as demonstrated by your 3rd line with new players who haven't played as much hockey as the rest of the team, and have had long off seasons, and have come from non-playoff teams. Toronto hasn't proven anything, it can only be proven when it matters....last night didn't matter much, but mattered more to Toronto. I was surprised to see the Point line matched up with the Mathews line, and the d pairing of cernak/sergachev, not much hedman or cirelli line.

Reactions: Ducati Boy

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
We rolled over...pathetic display.

I hope cooper dogs the crap out of them.

Apathy. Complacency. Again, no urgency.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
My thing is last year I remember being upset at how we were playing. I was thinking there's no way we win any playoff games this year how we're looking. Then they really did flip a switch in the playoffs. I just think there's a possibility this team is saving something because they've played so many games over the years. There was that stretch before the back to back and before we got swept that they played a ton of hockey and were kind of banged up for that playoffs that they got swept. Maybe something they also learned from that was that the regular season doesn't mean anything as long as they get in they can play how they play then because it is different. I dont know I just remember feeling this way last year too. This year is also different for many reasons and it again doesn't feel great going in. I just feel like we could see similar result where they flip that switch and top guys play now they should. Maybe I'm just trying to be positive lol.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
My thing is last year I remember being upset at how we were playing. I was thinking there's no way we win any playoff games this year how we're looking. Then they really did flip a switch in the playoffs. I just think there's a possibility this team is saving something because they've played so many games over the years. There was that stretch before the back to back and before we got swept that they played a ton of hockey and were kind of banged up for that playoffs that they got swept. Maybe something they also learned from that was that the regular season doesn't mean anything as long as they get in they can play how they play then because it is different. I dont know I just remember feeling this way last year too. This year is also different for many reasons and it again doesn't feel great going in. I just feel like we could see similar result where they flip that switch and top guys play now they should. Maybe I'm just trying to be positive lol.
We also got Kuch and Stammer back last year for the playoffs. The team that's on the ice now is the one we're getting in the playoffs this year. We hopefully get McDonagh back healthy but he was in the lineup not long ago and we were still playing like absolute shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad