GDT: 4/4/2015 - Panthers Gon' Give It To Ya Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2006
Mistakes happen every game. I thought the game was decided by Bishop. He just flat out played Luongo and made the big saves when he needed to, and Luongo looked very pedestrian as he has for most of the 2nd half of the year. His focus will never be good enough for a whole season. They better hope they can find a capable goalie to relieve him and carry at least half the load for next year.

He hasn't been the same since he dinged up his shoulder.

He's in his late 30s - can't expect to recover as quickly when he gets injured

Getting a reliable 1b should be high on Tallon's list this summer.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He hasn't been the same since he dinged up his shoulder.

He's in his late 30s - can't expect to recover as quickly when he gets injured

Getting a reliable 1b should be high on Tallon's list this summer.
I thought the first half he was more mentally tough. In the 2nd half, he was not as sharp mentally and that's probably attributed to his age and the constant stress of one goal games over the course of a season.

The shoulder injury definitely slowed his reaction time and probably caused him to flinch on hard shots. He definitely held the fort in the first half of the year until the team started to gel a bit, but I thought the team played solid defense for most of the second half and I just think he wilted at critical times.

I'm not a fan of either of the goalies we have as a backup, but I would say Ellis has impressed me more than Montoya strictly for his rebound control and his solid play in S/O's. Tough to find a capable 1b without making a trade that will cost us and even then it's a toss of the dice as most goalie's are head cases.

Bishop's rebound control was superior tonight.

Jan 19, 2006
I thought the first half he was more mentally tough. In the 2nd half, he was not as sharp mentally and that's probably attributed to his age and the constant stress of one goal games over the course of a season.

The shoulder injury definitely slowed his reaction time and probably caused him to flinch on hard shots. He definitely held the fort in the first half of the year until the team started to gel a bit, but I thought the team played solid defense for most of the second half and I just think he wilted at critical times.

I'm not a fan of either of the goalies we have as a backup, but I would say Ellis has impressed me more than Montoya strictly for his rebound control and his solid play in S/O's. Tough to find a capable 1b without making a trade that will cost us and even then it's a toss of the dice as most goalie's are head cases.

Bishop's rebound control was superior tonight.

FWIW, I was referring to his earlier injury this season, not his most recent.

Ciccarelli22eh

Jan 30, 2015
If you were to ask most of us a year ago if you thought we would even be in the position we are in now some may have said we will be better then last year but still be close to the bottom and if you didn't it was probably your heart doing the thinking over your brain. Most would say we have exceeded expectations putting up the fight that we have. This has been a great season no matter how you look at it. This is the 1st off season I'm not excited and wondering who we are taking 1st overall. We know what we have and the direction they are heading and the potential our kids have shown they have. The play of Bjugstad is solid and has been since game one all the way up too his injury. The play Barkov and Huberdeau have had in the later part of the season has been amazing to watch .These are the kids we have drafted early and they are showing why. Ekblad I knew he was good but didn't expect what I have seen so far. Guddy and Kuli they have been awesome. Pirri enough said. Even the play of a couple vets like Mitchell and Mckenzie have exceeded my expectations. Lou back in the blue paint got rid of any grey hairs that Thomas and Ellis have me last year. Jägr hasn't only been a stud for us but some what of an additional coach and almost mentor for Barky and huberdeau and sparked them. This season was great and next is only going to be better boys! At the end of the day I'm one happy Panthers fan!!!!

Ciccarelli22eh

Jan 30, 2015
On a side note does anyone know who will be sent back down for San Antonio when our season comes to an end?
Trocheck, Petro, Kamp?
Hope it doesn't take any time away from Rau and Matheson.
Does anyone know of any live streams for San Antonio for the playoffs?

Thanks

Jan 19, 2006
1. Montoya is good enough
2. Players on one way contracts are rarely sent down. Montoya wasn't bad enough for that.

I don't know about you, but I don't have confidence that Montoya can keep this team afloat if Luongo goes down for a prolonged stretch.

Perhaps our definition of "bad enough" differs.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
On a side note does anyone know who will be sent back down for San Antonio when our season comes to an end?
Trocheck, Petro, Kamp?
Hope it doesn't take any time away from Rau and Matheson.
Does anyone know of any live streams for San Antonio for the playoffs?

Thanks

Trocheck, Petrovic, and Ellis are the only players eligible to play in the playoffs. Kampfer would have to clear waivers and he wouldn't be able to play in the playoffs anyway. Just keep him up.

Rau and Matheson are going to be fighting for playing time even before those guys come down (though neither looked bad tonight...at all), so the addition of Tro and Petro will make it even tougher.

Free Live Streams for the AHL are a thing of the past. They are very active at finding those sites and pulling their games off of them. AHL Live is the only option and it's a very expensive pay site.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
FWIW, I was referring to his earlier injury this season, not his most recent.
Could have some effect as Luongo is a warrior and would certainly try and play through any discomfort. As I mentioned, IMO it could have been mental fatigue that played a part in what seemed to be a moderate reduction of focus at critical times in the second half. The latest injury while not lengthy seemed to effect his lateral and vertical range down the stretch, as he just didn't seem to react in typical Luongo fashion.

Ellis will get the start tomorrow and his play in the remaining games is really a tryout to replace Montoya who should also split the remaining starts with Ellis. To me there is no point in putting Luongo in any of the remaining games.

I would also like to see them send Trocheck and Petro back to the Rampage for their run at a high seed for the Calder Cup. Bring up a forward from the Rampage if necessary, otherwise just let the present guys run out the string.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Could have some effect as Luongo is a warrior and would certainly try and play through any discomfort. As I mentioned, IMO it could have been mental fatigue that played a part in what seemed to be a moderate reduction of focus at critical times in the second half. The latest injury while not lengthy seemed to effect his lateral and vertical range down the stretch, as he just didn't seem to react in typical Luongo fashion.

Ellis will get the start tomorrow and his play in the remaining games is really a tryout to replace Montoya who should also split the remaining starts with Ellis. To me there is no point in putting Luongo in any of the remaining games.

I would also like to see them send Trocheck and Petro back to the Rampage for their run at a high seed for the Calder Cup. Bring up a forward from the Rampage if necessary, otherwise just let the present guys run out the string.

Yea why not, send those that don't require Waivers. it's not NHL playoff hockey, but it's playoff hockey none-the-less.

And............maybe it's an excuse to bring Heatley up, see how he looks? or is he "Jagring" it up for the kids down there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad