[4-3 WIN] Junior Team Shuts Eller's Mouth

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Eller-gate is great for the Oilers, lol, I hope it keeps going and pundits keep saying they agree with Eller.

Free motivation for our guys. An "us against the world" mentality has a great way of focusing a group.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Aaron Ward and Mike Johnson on TSN agreed with Eller. Ward went on to say that the oilers play like the oil kings and some team called the Sherwood Park Crusaders.

Well Ward would know what it's like to play with no structure, considering he played like "a junior with no structure" for a large part of his career. :sarcasm:

And Mike Johnson... well.. we all know what side he's on...

8466109.jpg

Last edited:

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
This is great. I'm tired of fake pity from the media. Glad they're ripping Eakins. Nothing he can't handle.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 15m
#oilers really need Lars Eller's comments to get fired up to play? A little over reaction from Dallas Eakins...comments were fine #Habs
Expand
David Perron ‏@DP_57 7m
@andystrickland really? Fine?
Expand
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 2m
@DP_57 C'mon Perry. Didn't think Comments were intended to slam you guys. We've heard much worse. Surprised some got so worked

Guess the Habs coach disagrees with you Andy

"He's a young player," said Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien of Eller. "I think he'll learn from that. He made inappropriate comments."

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
Team was terrible in the 1st period and then dug in.

DD stood tall once again. Hope he can continue.

Hemsky was on fire.

Goal or no goal Jones drove me nuts. His giveaway costs us a goal. Most would be stapled to the bench. He gets to go out on the PP to be the Ryan S in front of the net and then gets outworked in our own end off the puck. For a fourth line player to have 11 min and zero hits and the amount of blunders Jones should get a pass to the minors. Eager 5 min and change and one 1 hit. Pitlick 11 min and 3 hits. Doesn't take a mensa student to tell which players should stick around.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
That thought crossed my mind too. So far my opinion of Eakins is that he's very calculated in most of his words and actions. It might have been an uncontrolled outburst, but I don't really think that is Eakins' personality most of the time.

It wasn't just an outburst. I think he mentioned Eller 2-3 times during the scrum.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ellergate is going to be the gift that keeps on giving. Mark my words, if the team makes the playoffs this year, October 22 will be known as the date everything changed.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Eakins has turned an off-handed comment by Eller into something significant, a bone of contention, creating a rallying point for the team: let's prove all these *******s wrong! A little controversy to generate some pride, passion, and push back. I'm confident that Eakins is the right guy to coach this team.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Eakins has turned an off-handed comment by Eller into something significant, a bone of contention, creating a rallying point for the team: let's prove all these *******s wrong! A little controversy to generate some pride, passion, and push back. I'm confident that Eakins is the right guy to coach this team.

I agree with Eakins using the comments internally but to take it to the media and thank Eller was pretty low and for a team badly underachieving he should have taken the high road and prepared for the next game.

You won a game - act like you have done it before. 3 wins a month will have him coaching in the KHL within 2 years.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

the way I see it, this is no different than what P.Roy did in COL. Every new coach needs an incident to galvanize them to the club, or have a turning point.

I believe what Cloned stated, that this could be the date that will be remembered.

Conkanen*

+1

We need "Like" buttons up in here!

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
It wasn't just an outburst. I think he mentioned Eller 2-3 times during the scrum.

So when you lose control you only say something harsh once and then say nothing to add to it afterwards? If that the case then I'd say you're better than most of us. ;)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Aaron Ward and Mike Johnson on TSN agreed with Eller. Ward went on to say that the oilers play like the oil kings and some team called the Sherwood Park Crusaders.

So what I'm getting out of this is that Eller made a mistake, then Eakins made a mistake and now the media is continuing with the whole story-line of crapping on the situation.

Everyone calls it immature yet no one taking the high road here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would hope those media pundits who are denouncing Eakins' comments were at least consistent with their responses to Patrick Roy's meltdown. If not, them someone might have to dig up their inconsistencies and rub their noses in them . . .
You crazy, Roy would meet those guys outside the studio and kick the **** out of them.
Kelly Chase is related to Greg Chase. I wonder if he's thrilled about his uncle publicly criticizing the guy who decides whether he makes the NHL next year?
This is funny.
Ouch Kypreos. Classless? I knew the guy had already hit rock bottom once, but apparently while scraping the bottom of the barrel for dirt, he has hit rock bottom yet again.

I have never seen this video until now.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
So what I'm getting out of this is that Eller made a mistake, then Eakins made a mistake and now the media is continuing with the whole story-line of crapping on the situation.

Everyone calls it immature yet no one taking the high road here.

Bunch of toothless hyenas. Even TSN, which usually has the common sense to report it and then move on. Hockey media is bush league, aside from guys like McKenzie, Dreger, Friedman and McLean.

McDavid The Saviour

Oct 7, 2013
I agree with Eakins using the comments internally but to take it to the media and thank Eller was pretty low and for a team badly underachieving he should have taken the high road and prepared for the next game.

You won a game - act like you have done it before. 3 wins a month will have him coaching in the KHL within 2 years.

Hit the nail on the head! If we read Eller's comments carefully and objectively he really wasn't that far from the truth; we've all seen the Oilers play this year right? So use the comments privately with the team but take the high road publically. I'm a true blue Oilers fan but to me Eakins comes off much worse in this than Eller does. If you need it to motivate the team OK I guess; but easy to see how this would be viewed as classless around the league.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hit the nail on the head! If we read Eller's comments carefully and objectively he really wasn't that far from the truth; we've all seen the Oilers play this year right? So use the comments privately with the team but take the high road publically. I'm a true blue Oilers fan but to me Eakins comes off much worse in this than Eller does. If you need it to motivate the team OK I guess; but easy to see how this would be viewed as classless around the league.

Not really, first of all, Desert Oil nice to see back, apologizing to the rest of the boards for us again?

Either way, not really, as far as classless. Eller's point was partly correct, but only when you assume the team has NO PRIDE, then I can see why "this motivating you" looks bad. The reality is the team has Pride, the Coach has Pride, so they aren't going to take comments of that ilk lying down, Nor should they.

When you think about it as the team itself doesn't have an inferiority complex that is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What on earth?

Are you looking for a causal relationship and irrefutable substantiation between Ellers comments and the team reaction and win? :amazed:

Not sure what you're on about here really.

Eller said some stupid ****, the team and players by their own stated accounts took it to heart, reacted to it verbally, sarcastically, several players talked about it, some referenced it on ice, and were on ice running Eller any chance they could get. In the one game all season where they've shown substantial resolve, killer instinct, and looked like they really wanted to bury the Habs. This was like a different Oiler team we haven't seen this year.

If anything what you saw in the first period was a club that was TOO pumped up and making a few critical mistakes. The resolve was there and for all to see.

You want proof? What does that look like other than the game last night being as close as it gets?

Really?

Now YOU claim the club was TOO pumped up!

Running Eller every chance they got. :help:

What a bunch of hyperbole. :shakehead

Disagree as I may usually your posts at least make sense.

Not this time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Most here aren't arguing that Eller's comments were factually incorrect, I think the general sentiment, which you say you agree with, is that he really should have kept his opinion to himself.

With that said, I don't have a problem with Eakins' comments after the game. I doubt there are many coaches in the league that would have let such comments about their team slide.

Eakins could have taken the high road.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4