Post-Game Talk: 4-3 OT Win | Oilers lead series 3-2

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If we tanked we probably finish 30th or 29th and miss out out on Connor. Arizona probably finishes 3rd and wins the lotto. That would be disgusting.

Thank god we just sucked! Haha that is a funny how everything turned out.

Nightmare scenario. We let Eakins keep his job, trade guys away to do a max tank and beat out Buffalo for 30th. We lose the lottery and end up with Eichel. Eichel complains about Eakins and management, and since management are only interested in keeping their jobs, we trade Eichel for peanuts with the typical smear campaign that goes along with management trying to save face.

That was fun to imagine :)

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Nightmare scenario. We let Eakins keep his job, trade guys away to do a max tank and beat out Buffalo for 30th. We lose the lottery and end up with Eichel. Eichel complains about Eakins and management, and since management are only interested in keeping their jobs, we trade Eichel for peanuts with the typical smear campaign that goes along with management trying to save face.

That was fun to imagine :)

Hall-Eichel-Eberle

RNH demands trade in year 1. Eichel in year 2.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Still feeling great today, It's like a drug, games like last night. Off too a long shift at work with a big smile on my face.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dreger pandering to Oilers fans a bit? :)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/oilers-learning-how-to-be-resilient-in-the-face-of-adversity~1106440

Suggests if we had the #1 OA in 2014 we would have passed up on Ekblad and taken Drai. After all our years of having garbage D. I appreciate the sentiment, and love Drai, and he may be #1 from that draft now because Ekblad's career has been derailed a bit by concussions, but I still doubt it.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

I saw a ton of Ekblad that year in Barrie and there was no question he was #1.

Sorry Dregs.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Is it just me that gets seriously annoyed with the way they work the camera after we score? Why do they always have to show the goalie and the San Jose players after we score. I'd much rather see our celebration than that. They tried to get our bench reaction to the goal (first time in the series for that matter) and they got maybe 4 guys on the bench. Even that isn't in most highlight packages other than the one on the NHL website.

Plus in the tying goal we don't even get to see Klefbom's reaction to his clapper. The camera pans to Desharnais instead and eventually shows a <1 sec celebration on the goal.

Am I the only one who gets pumped seeing the cellys of our team?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
In the first period, I was thinking Desharnais doesn't have the skill and speed to make up for his stature and could see why Habs fans have no use for him. I am dumb. And happy about it.

Honest question.. don't really know; How was Maroon suppose to miss Jones on that penalty that was called? Goalies have total immunity everywhere they go? He passed very close to the net and didn't stick a leg out.

Jones backed into him too. Maroon was almost by him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/oilers-learning-how-to-be-resilient-in-the-face-of-adversity~1106440

Suggests if we had the #1 OA in 2014 we would have passed up on Ekblad and taken Drai. After all our years of having garbage D. I appreciate the sentiment, and love Drai, and he may be #1 from that draft now because Ekblad's career has been derailed a bit by concussions, but I still doubt it.

There is merit in this. IIRC Ekblad had question marks about him dominating OHL due to size and mainly scoring on PP. I do remember discussion on HFOil about taking him if he dropped to 3 and what wed do. He was the favourite to go #1 but IMO it wasnt unanimous and Reinhart was #1 in some credible scouting agencies rankings

MacT LOVED Draisaitl so I could see an outcome where he would have picked LD over Ekblad at 1. Hell I think he would have done it if Ekblad dropped to 3. At the time it wouldnt have been smart, hindsight being 2020, LD is best player from the 2014 draft

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Don't get me started on the officiating tonight. I was annoyed when the ref acted like a complete ****** to Maroon after the snow shower. Looked like Maroon even said "Don't talk to me like that" in response. Eberle getting hooked by Marleau, RNH getting tripped, etc. Refs are garbage.

There were a few times last night that Sportsnet was actually showing some of the missed calls during the same shift against the Sharks. It was a complete gong show performance from the officials. Sharks were committing multiple offences on every shift and Maroon gets scolded for a snow shower. The first half of the game was the most frustrating hockey I've ever watched.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
There were a few times last night that Sportsnet was actually showing some of the missed calls during the same shift against the Sharks. It was a complete gong show performance from the officials. Sharks were committing multiple offences on every shift and Maroon gets scolded for a snow shower. The first half of the game was the most frustrating hockey I've ever watched.

I thought Jones should have gotten one for diving on the Maroon penalty. Goalies always get different treatment though , players have been fined for less.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One thing I will say is McDavid needs to learn to get the puck up.

Not doing so I think has probably cost him a good 7-8 goals this year including overtime yesterday.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Not doing so I think has probably cost him a good 7-8 goals this year including overtime yesterday.

Agreed, have thought this all season long. Not to worried though, he'll get there.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
I'm exhilarated that we won this game, great comeback..

But read the comments starting at page 30 of the first GDThttp://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2219857&page=31

We were all so quick to throw this team under the bus, but the Team showed up in the third, and kicked A*s in overtime..

Why is it that this team can suck so bad, like last game..

Then pull off an amazing comeback to win a game...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Also that Adam Larsson line change cannot happen. Our d-corps is still very young, but yeah your head needs to be in the game more than that. We are really sloppy with line changes sometimes, need to grow out of that and fast.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Why did they use anthem audio from Ford Hall? That was just beyond stupid, pissed me right off.

Didn't sound near as good as hearing it sung by the people in the actual stands. That plus Ford Hall was ahead of the people in the stands, so it just looked even more stupid.

Also I really don't understand why we need to have Ford Hall shoved down our throat after every goal.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If we tanked we probably finish 30th or 29th and miss out out on Connor. Arizona probably finishes 3rd and wins the lotto. That would be disgusting.

Thank god we just sucked! Haha that is a funny how everything turned out.

Nobody was out tanking Buffalo and Arizona that year. Those two had an all out war at the trade deadline to get rid of anybody who still had a pulse. Lucky for us Katz gave Mactavish a boatload of cash to spend before the season started to build a playoff team. His vision of success was able to keep us close enough to the bottom to win the lottery.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

No chance Oilers take Draisatl over Ekblad one year after Katz bows to fan pressure by taking Yakupov over Murray. Ekblad was being considered by many that year to be a "generational" defensive prospect. He selection would have been more of a foregone conclusion than any of the previous first overall picks.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011

At least he is a good enough player that he still scores points regardless.

No need to worry about McDavid not being able to get it up.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Does anyone have a video of the Maroon penalty? I was at the game and din't get a good view of it, just saw Jones fall and Maroon go to the box. For whatever reason they didn't show a replay on the jumbotron.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Why did they use anthem audio from Ford Hall? That was just beyond stupid, pissed me right off.

Didn't sound near as good as hearing it sung by the people in the actual stands. That plus Ford Hall was ahead of the people in the stands, so it just looked even more stupid.

Also I really don't understand why we need to have Ford Hall shoved down our throat after every goal.

I had a good laugh at them realizing it was **** and trying to transition to stadium sound halfway through but realizing that they weren't synced and completely fumbling the transition.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I'm exhilarated that we won this game, great comeback..

But read the comments starting at page 30 of the first GDThttp://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2219857&page=31

We were all so quick to throw this team under the bus, but the Team showed up in the third, and kicked A*s in overtime..

Why is it that this team can suck so bad, like last game..

Then pull off an amazing comeback to win a game...

We had just lost 7-0.

We were losing 3-1, at home, and we weren't playing great.

I'm not saying the comments that we would lose the series were rational or necessary, but the frustration made sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad