GDT: 4/25/15 - 6:00PM EDT - #3 Detroit VS #2 Tampa Bay [ECQF GAME 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
TB has had more power play chances/time than any other team in the playoffs.

They've earned more PP chances. Simply because the officials have called more penalties against the DRW does not mean that they've called them all and it doesn't mean that they weren't warranted.

They were. It's up to TB to make the DRW fear the PP. If the DRW don't fear the PP, they've done their job. I wrote about this months ago about how it would be incredibly ballsy for a coach to ignore the TBL PP and check the **** out of them until they no longer have speed on their side. This is exactly what Babcock and the Wings have done. Entirety of this series' outcome is based on 2 for 25 on the PP. 5 for 25 and we're talking about a different Series.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

Care to actually make a point? They could have 100 power plays but should have been given 200. Detroit does something illegal on damn near every play. If I were to make a drinking game out of it I would be drunk 5 minutes into a game.

The only way Detroit can keep up with TB is by interfering hooking and holding. And they are allowed to get away with it more often than not. This basically neutralizes one of the bigger advantages TB has, it's speed and 5v5 play.

So Detroit is being allowed to neutralize TBs advantages in an illegal fashion. Seems real fair right? It's not even a point about getting power plays. It's a point of the refs letting them continually getting away with it so they have no fear to play that way.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They've earned more PP chances. Simply because the officials have called more penalties against the DRW does not mean that they've called them all and it doesn't mean that they weren't warranted.

They were. It's up to TB to make the DRW fear the PP. If the DRW don't fear the PP, they've done their job. I wrote about this months ago about how it would be incredibly ballsy for a coach to ignore the TBL PP and check the **** out of them until they no longer have speed on their side. This is exactly what Babcock and the Wings have done. Entirety of this series' outcome is based on 2 for 25 on the PP. 5 for 25 and we're talking about a different Series.

It's also infractions on the puck carrier getting called. The stuff away from the play (tugs, holds, etc) is what's going uncalled. And also why it doesn't get noticed by a lot of fans--it's usually guys chasing the play being interfered with while attention is on the guy with the puck. And Babcock has used that incredibly to his advantage and to nullify most of our attack. Our speed advantage often leads to a numbers advantage, which we don't have when our guys are getting slowed down just enough to allow the Wings to set up.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
That would depend on the return. We are both entitled to our opinions. You're a fan of his I'm not and I'm not alone by a long shot, neither are you. Have a great night.

Hedman has his flaws but if you want him traded away, you're wrong. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Thats the ****in' truth. He isn't wrong - but he hasn't done **** to make Detroit stop.

Fix your ****ing PP and I guarantee Detroit will start playing squeaky clean games.

I really don't get why you guys are trying to rip into Yostis, he/she is absolutely right. Again, if we handled our business, I bet Detroit would stop all of this incredibly quick.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Hedman has his flaws but if you want him traded away, you're wrong. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Sarcasm?

Because he says he should be traded, its wrong and not an opinion.
Because you say he should stay, thats a a fact? Lol.

Hedman isn't getting any better, he really isn't. Not sure what it is but a couple years ago, those concussions were like light switches, one made him incredible, the next completely ****ed him over. Its a shame because he was looking incredible. The thing that frustrates me is his defense, primarily his decision making. Its PISS POOR. End of game 1, PP on game 3(I think) and last game, walk the blue line, keep walking it...bang! Shoot it right at the one guy in front. I know thats nitpicking but I mean come on, how many times do you see Keith, Doughty, Weber, Suter, even guys like Josi and Shattenkirk make that play? Its rare. All those guys are smaller and play a bigger game than Hedman and most of those guys aren't even that physical bar Doughty and Weber. Hedman has the tools, he just doesnt use them, nor is he improving. He's a top 4 defenseman at the moment on a team with other top 4 dmen. Stralman, Garrison, Coburn and Carle (well, Carle sucks...) can all match his play, that's not saying a whole lot considering the guy was a highly touted pick and is basically the franchise dman on our team.

His skating, shot and hands are incredible. Hitting? He hits once a year and he kills the guy, why cant he take the body every game? Dont have to kill the guy, stop waving the damn stick and get in front of him...It goes on and on. I personally dont like him, he's too much of a puss in my eyes as a dman, thats not the way I played, not the way I was taught. I will applaud Yzerman if he fleeces a GM and trades him. And by fleece I mean, a 5th rounder, cause there is no way in hell I would want that pylon on my team.

Funny enough our biggest deadweight pieces on this team are the highly touted/highest paid ones:

Stamkos
Hedman
Carle
then you have Morrow and Brown who shouldnt be in the league. Love JT but the guy cant do anything other than sprint. THAT is a fact.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Thats the ****in' truth. He isn't wrong - but he hasn't done **** to make Detroit stop.

Fix your ****ing PP and I guarantee Detroit will start playing squeaky clean games.

I really don't get why you guys are trying to rip into Yostis, he/she is absolutely right. Again, if he handled our business, I bet Detroit would stop all of this incredibly quick.

This - make them pay on our PPs, their obstruction game is less effective. ****ing called that before the playoffs - our weak ass PP was going to slow down our 5 on 5.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
This - make them pay on our PPs, their obstruction game is less effective. ****ing called that before the playoffs - our weak ass PP was going to slow down our 5 on 5.

Boy if we crushed them with the man advantage and we clicked at a 25% rate, I bet Detroit wouldn't even look sideways at a guy like Johnson for fear of getting a call. Don't blame Detroit or the refs too much. Refs have been **** all around.

We can't do anything to bend these same rules provided to us, and its embarassing. We're a much better team than this on paper but in practice, we have holes and questions.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL

I really don't get why you guys are trying to rip into Yostis, he/she is absolutely right. Again, if we handled our business, I bet Detroit would stop all of this incredibly quick.

I heard so much complaining about the refereeing on Saturday night (elsewhere). Even if it was true, it's still a bunch of hogwash. 0/3 on the PP that night, 2/24 in the series, I mean, does it even matter? The Lightning have had their chances on the PP. Five PP's instead of two (a 20.8% conversion rate, which is certainly reasonable for a team with the talent they have) swings this series entirely around. Of course, if TB was that effective, Detroit likely concedes fewer penalties but likely allows for better 5v5 play on open ice instead; it benefits Tampa in either capacity.

There was grave concern about how the special teams for Tampa could kill them in a playoff series. Detroit has scored four PPG's in this series; Tampa has scored two. There you go.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I heard so much complaining about the refereeing on Saturday night (elsewhere). Even if it was true, it's still a bunch of hogwash. 0/3 on the PP that night, 2/24 in the series, I mean, does it even matter? The Lightning have had their chances on the PP. Five PP's instead of two (a 20.8% conversion rate, which is certainly reasonable for a team with the talent they have) swings this series entirely around. Of course, if TB was that effective, Detroit likely concedes fewer penalties but likely allows for better 5v5 play on open ice instead; it benefits Tampa in either capacity.

There was grave concern about how the special teams for Tampa could kill them in a playoff series. Detroit has scored four PPG's in this series; Tampa has scored two. There you go.

I mean, I don't want to discredit the failure - the refs have been bad all around, they haven't really established a baseline of "you can get away with this", so its been confusing all around but that said, Detroit just gets the job done when it needs to be done, and we can't do it.

We've had so many opportunities with the man advantage looking back, and we did nothing to take advantage of any of it. We've actually been pretty good 5v5 - not great, but good - and good should be good enough for these guys to get the job done, if you can take care of at least one powerplay a game. We can't do it, we can't pull off a Boston who has a selke winning forward who can dominate 20 minutes of shifts a night while having an anemic powerplay, we just aren't as deep as we think. We have a lot of guys who haven't gotten the job done all year and we're just throwing people at it rather than fixing underlying plans and structures. Its ruining us right now.

0/7
2/4
0/6
0/4
0/3

We're 2/24. We're 2/24. We're 2/24.
This is our fault.

Detroit has had
in this series.

They've had five less, and a shorthanded goal. We've given up far too many of those this year, too.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010

And the Red Wings continue to get away with interference because they know the refs won't call 10 (borderline) penalties.

They are savvy at doing it 'at the right times'.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Care to actually make a point? They could have 100 power plays but should have been given 200. Detroit does something illegal on damn near every play. If I were to make a drinking game out of it I would be drunk 5 minutes into a game.

The only way Detroit can keep up with TB is by interfering hooking and holding. And they are allowed to get away with it more often than not. This basically neutralizes one of the bigger advantages TB has, it's speed and 5v5 play.

So Detroit is being allowed to neutralize TBs advantages in an illegal fashion. Seems real fair right? It's not even a point about getting power plays. It's a point of the refs letting them continually getting away with it so they have no fear to play that way.

Is this your first year watching hockey? You're acting as if your shocked that they arnt calling everything in the playoffs. Detroit has played against teams in the past that would sit back, trap, and interfere even worse. They got through it and won Cups. Good teams adjust, bad teams whine and get eliminated.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Is this your first year watching hockey? You're acting as if your shocked that they arnt calling everything in the playoffs. Detroit has played against teams in the past that would sit back, trap, and interfere even worse. They got through it and won Cups. Good teams adjust, bad teams whine and get eliminated.

Which is why we are all calling for Cooper to adjust but he refuses.

I don't know why Cooper doesn't tell our guys to do the same **** Detroit is doing because IMO they are getting away with a lot. You can't sit there and feel sorry for yourself, even the playing field up.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

Do Detroit fans have a collective single brain?

Someone says something you don't like and the go to response for idiotic Detroit fans is "do you even hockey bro?" GTFO. Seriously.

So "because hockey" is the reason we don't have a valid point. Well said.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
You gotta play better than the refs in every sport and adjust to what they're calling. If the Wings are getting away with interference then we better start doing the same things. Even if the refs make calls we're not making the Wings pay on the PP so there's no fear of taking a penalty. You think they're nervous of this PP getting 5+ chances in a game? I doubt it. The refs aren't costing us this series, we've been outplayed the last three games and our top players haven't stepped up outside of those 7 minutes Johnson did in game 4.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
People can surely complain about the refs, because they're maybe letting more go than we expected but it's really 3 things.

1)Refs letting it go
2)Cooper not adjusting
3)PP can't cash in

That's the perfect storm. It's a strategy that has had no repercussions, so why should the Wings stop? It's just good strategy.

redwingfan19

Nov 4, 2009
You gotta play better than the refs in every sport and adjust to what they're calling. If the Wings are getting away with interference then we better start doing the same things. Even if the refs make calls we're not making the Wings pay on the PP so there's no fear of taking a penalty. You think they're nervous of this PP getting 5+ chances in a game? I doubt it. The refs aren't costing us this series, we've been outplayed the last three games and our top players haven't stepped up outside of those 7 minutes Johnson did in game 4.

I agree with you. Tampa bay is getting there chances on the PP, they just are not doing anything with it, which is pretty shocking. However, Tampa could bust out at any time to the surprise of no one.

I think it is just an attempt by Cooper to maybe get in the refs heads a bit.

NFL officiating is much worse than the NHL. I think the NFL refs clearly cost a couple teams playoff games last year.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
*****ing about the reffing is and always will be a losers excuse.

Tampa has benefited from their fair share of calls and no calls also.... every team does and generally the calls even themselves out.

Take game 4 as an example. Wings up by 2. The offsetting penalties when Tampa jumped on Glendening when he was injured. Why did the Wings deserve a penalty there? The refs decided to give offsetting penalties rather than put the wings on the power play. That would have been an additional 2 minutes off the clock and possibly another Wings score...

Same game when Miller is skating into the corner and has his stick slashed and broken right in front of the ref, again no call. A slash and a broken stick is an automatic penalty in 99% of the games I watch and yet it went uncalled. Again, another penalty that should have been called and would have taken another 2 minutes off the clock.

Tampa would not have made that game 4 comeback if not for several (no) calls that benefited the Lightning.

Regardless, its the playoffs. You have to learn to battle through contact and tighter more physical hockey. The refs have always called it different in the playoffs and have always allowed them to play. Detroit has been in the playoffs for 24 straight seasons. They know playoff hockey as well as any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad