GDT: 4/23/15 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #3 Detroit [ECQF GAME 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We weren't even supposed to make the playoffs last year.

The hyperbole on this board is crazy. We lose one game, and we go from "Tampa is killing this series," to "holy ****, fire our coach and trade our franchise center." In one game!

They'll bounce back tonight, ****ing book it. They're out for blood. I fully expect a win.

I will say however, that I am a full Cooper supporter, and I was a full Guy Boucher supporter as well. Guess I'm just loyal to the HC :laugh:

I'll further say though, that I was shocked that the poll earlier had Cooper doing an "outstanding job," by a landslide. I was one of the only ones that voted the second best option, which I found odd. Everyone thinks he's doing an outstanding job, but they want him fired.

He does make roster decisions I don't agree with, and the PP looks god awful. But every quote you've ever seen from any media: "Players would run through a wall for him." The last change is challenging, especially with the great two-way forwards Detroit has; they can shut you right the **** down. But Coop does have to be better. And so does the team.

I think that's all most of us are saying. With all our complaints about the team, maybe Coop has to be better too. I definitely don't want him fired, but at the same time, I'm worried that he's at least partly responsible for our road woes. I'm not sure that he is, but I think there's a good possibility.

Anyway, I'm nervous about this one. If ever there was a road game I expected us to storm into, it was the last one (thus the concerns), and we didn't. And it makes me think this home/road thing is very real. Which makes us an underdog every time we're away from Amalie.

#terrified

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
One can hope that there might be, as long as it's good Changes.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think that's all most of us are saying. With all our complaints about the team, maybe Coop has to be better too. I definitely don't want him fired, but at the same time, I'm worried that he's at least partly responsible for our road woes. I'm not sure that he is, but I think there's a good possibility.

Anyway, I'm nervous about this one. If ever there was a road game I expected us to storm into, it was the last one (thus the concerns), and we didn't. And it makes me think this home/road thing is very real. Which makes us an underdog every time we're away from Amalie.

#terrified

I think we got a little overconfident going into last game. We won game 2 convincingly and we got a big ego out of it thinking we could go into Joe with similar results. You can't do that in the playoffs. Every game is an outright battle. These are the top teams in the league. If your not ready to match that intensity then you are going to be punished accordingly. Last game should be a slap into reality for the guys. If they haven't gotten it yet they will again tonight.

With that said I expect the guys to come out fighting for their lives tonight. I don't expect anything less than our best tonight. If we can get our best out of all of our guys tonight it should be good enough to win. However Detroit may have something to say about that. Detroit is a good team and they can beat our team in any given night. Let's just hope we are able to overcome whatever Detroit has for tonight. Fingers crossed! :scared:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Big games tonight from:

Stamkos
TKO
Boyle

Gonna go out on a limb and say the offense will be a lot better but the defense will struggle.

Winner of this game takes the series. Toss up in my mind.

If we get down early Detroit will hump us to death like they did last game and it will take a herculean effort to come back and win at the Joe.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Big games tonight from:

Stamkos
TKO
Boyle

Gonna go out on a limb and say the offense will be a lot better but the defense will struggle.

Winner of this game takes the series. Toss up in my mind.

If we get down early Detroit will hump us to death like they did last game and it will take a herculean effort to come back and win at the Joe.

I agree with the bolded 100%. Taking the lead in this game is crucial. We've been a great team whenever we've had the lead this season. When we have to chase we get into big troubles. I don't think it's a coincidence the game on Saturday went so well after we got the early goal. Come out flying, score a goal or two in the first period and I think we will be fine.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Anyone notice how much Cooper asks himself questions in press conferences? Very lawyer-tactic - reframes the question into something he wants to answer.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wouldn't be shocked if we went 11-7 tonight.

Michelle Gingras ‏@michellegingras 29s30 seconds ago
Garrison said if he was called upon to play tonight he would be ready to go #TBLightning

Combined with Coop's coyness, he might be thinking this will be a good surprise.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
According to "NBC" this is a must-win game for the Lightning. I didn't know it was a 5 game series.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa

#terrified

Cooper is also a 2nd (full) year NHL head coach - he's learning as well at this level how to translate his coaching style. He's taken the Lightning teams to the playoffs both seasons while facing some big adversities in injuries/team dramas - he's going to be just fine and Tampa is lucky to have him behind the bench. The last thing Tampa needs to worry about is HC/GM.

I really hope tonight the team is up to the task. In my opinion, last game the team could have been overconfident in that it was fairly obvious the Lightning were the better team in the first 2 games - couple of unlucky bounces in game 1 and Tampa is up 2-0 - and they thought that trend would just continue. Now the reality of Game 3 should have set in. They can't just show up and be the better team on the ice - even though they truly are more skilled, but they have to work for it. Game 3 was truly a wake up call that Game 1 never was.

Got to keep believing. Go Lightning!

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
According to "NBC" this is a must-win game for the Lightning. I didn't know it was a 5 game series.

I think it's a must win. If we let this series slip to 3-1 it's basically over. We can win on Saturday but Detroit will take it in six. Tonight's winner will win this series in six games. Book it.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
UGH! Playoffs were going so well prior to the extra day off in this series, I was rotating each night between the Isles and Lightning.

Guess I have to employ some more technology tonight to try and watch both games at once.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If we dont win tonight, we dont get out of the 1st round. This is not the same team that was there 4 years ago to come from behind in a series and win big games. This team has no pedigree and no urgency, especially in the final period(excluding the last 2 minutes when they decide to show up, too little, too late.)

I expect Detroit to get some more lucky bounces and win, bringing it back here down 3-1. After what I saw last game, I have no confidence in this team as playoff performers.

I look at the roster and the guys that know how to play in the playoffs are showing up, the ones we are waiting on to show up, simply dont.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
This really is a must win game since I have no confidence with this team winning 3 in a row. The whole thing is really sad, I want them to win more than 1 PO game this year but don't know if they have it in them, especially since all other teams top-scorers have been showing up for their team but ours haven't...hopefully they will tonight and we pull a Blues on Detroit.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Our offense ignites tonight, while unfortunately Bishop implodes: 10-5 Detroit.

Detroit goals from Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and one of Detroit's greatest playoff performers ever, Steve Yzerman, who'll make a triumphant return and score 4 while also making Steven Stamkos his *****. 92% Corsi. Stamkos wins exactly one faceoff because Yzerman feels sorry for him.

J.T. Brown explodes for 3 shots on goal.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
We have a hell of a roster. A hell of a player pipeline. A hell of a development program. And a hell of an organization moving forward. Yzerman has done a hell of a job - most everyone agrees.

We also have a great system in place. The 5v5 system is successful, its exciting hockey, and Cooper/Bowness have implemented and taught the system well. From this standpoint the coaching has done a great job. Where Cooper's feet have to be held to the fire is on his PP and his forward lines. I believe in Cooper's system but I think I'm not alone when I say he has not done the job when it comes to preparing Drouin to be a contributor in the playoffs. He has not put Stamkos in a position to succeed on the PP and I don't think our first line has the needed chemistry - and these changes/adjustments are on Cooper.

I'm not ready to fire Cooper regardless of what happens this series. He does need to show he can make adjustments and not sure he has shown that during the playoffs and last year I don't think adjustments would have mattered at all they were just healthier and better...at some point it is SKILL that wins playoff games if it was experience we'd be playing Andreychuk on the fourth line.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

No it's really not, but a win tonight, will turn the series back into Tampa's favor. Since they will secure home ice again, and will have the momentum going back home.

They need to win tonight and come out guns blazing. Whoever is not bringing it, Coop needs to bench their ass, instead of just standing there and chewing his gum.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Yeah, it's really not unfair to suggest that this is pretty much must-win territory for the Lightning. Shame that it is, since they've played well enough to be in front 2-1 in this series, but you can't just see 3-1 down and think everything will be ok. 90% of the time, a 3-1 team wins the series. The Lightning don't need this game for home ice advantage; they need it so that they don't need to win three in a row with no margin for error to keep their season going.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I wonder if Coop doesn't want to show his hand to Detriot and will make the "changes" people have been calling for at pregame skate. His short answers from yesterday gave me the felling he might.

Either way that's not too important. Guys need to come out strong tonight and the top players need to be our top players. Goals or no goals from them, just give it your all and the dominoes will fall. We can win if we get back to what made us successful in game 2. And we'll get our chances, so we must finish them this time.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not sure why anyone is expecting a big game from Stamkos, he doesn't have those in the playoffs. He's a career 1.01 ppg average and 0.76 in the playoffs. His goals per game average is 0.56 in the regular season and 0.32 in the playoffs. In his 25 prior games he's had 6 of those as multiple point games which is 15 of his 18 points with 3 one point games so he has been held scoreless in 16 playoff games. In those multi point games they have mostly all come in blowouts or shootouts, there's one game where he had two points and we only scored two. He just doesn't show up when it counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad