GDT: 4/20/14 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #3 Montréal [ECQF GAME 3] F/L 2-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

oleHABSole*

That last bump was the goaltender interference? Seriously? Price had time to stand up and dive to the right to try to block the puck. Fraser was WAY off this time. Good goal.

Of course the goal was good, it crossed the goal line. But there had to be something that might of interrupted Price?.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Quoting a line from the rule book means nothing to me. The fact of the matter is Killorn did nothing to inhibit Prices ability to make the save. End of story

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That last bump was the goaltender interference? Seriously? Price had time to stand up and dive to the right to try to block the puck. Fraser was WAY off this time. Good goal.

Price also went out of his crease, once you do that, I believe you can't get interference. So he goes out of his crease, has time to come back to make a save but can't make it on Cally's shot.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I wouldn't have been happy with the disallowed goal either but here's Kerry Fraser's take

Kerry Fraser ‏@kfraserthecall 1h

Correct call on disallowed goal! 69.3if goalkeeper in act of establishing his position within crease, initiates contact with an attacking Player who is in the goal crease & this results with impairment of goalkeeper's ability to defend his goal, the goal will be disallowed.Cary Price knows this rule & works it to his advantage better than any goalie in the league. It's the rule & I will not debate it further!

Anyway hope Stamkos is ok

69.3 Contact Inside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.
If a goalkeeper, in the act of establishing his position within his goal crease, initiates contact with an attacking player who is in the goal crease, and this results in an impairment of the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.
If, after any contact by a goalkeeper who is attempting to establish position in his goal crease, the attacking player does not immediately vacate his current position in the goal crease (i.e. give ground to the goalkeeper), and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed. In all such cases, whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will receive a minor penalty for goalkeeper interference.
If an attacking player establishes a significant position within the goal crease, so as to obstruct the goalkeeper’s vision and impair his ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.
For this purpose, a player “establishes a significant position within the crease” when, in the Referee’s judgment, his body, or a substantial portion thereof, is within the goal crease for more than an instantaneous period of time.

Price established his position enough without interference from Killorn to essentially launch himself at Killorn as Killorn was immediately vacating the crease at his earliest possible convenience given Subban's boxing him in. Not only was Price able to establish his position once, but he got up after his initial pointless lunge into Killorn and made the save on the shot 4seconds after Killorn left the crease. He flailed trying to sell the ref and put the puck in his own net.

It's a dog **** call. It changed the outcome of the game. The game was pivotal in the series. While the call itself had zero effect on Games 1 and 2, it turned a 2-1 lead for the Bolts into a tie game and let the Habs off the hook. Taken by itself, it may have been surmountable. Add in the 100% ******** offside calls, against the Bolts and in favor of the Habs, the ticky tack fouls on Sustr, Hedman and Barberio's 2nd penalty, the ignored blatant pick plays from Desharnais and slew foot of Stamkos by Prust and it quickly becomes insurmountable.

It doesn't take much to swing a game between teams so closely matched. The officials were taking no chances though and went above and beyond the Call of Incompetence to insure the outcome of this game, and quite possibly the series.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I agree the calls and no calls were beyond terrible. Prust elbows Stammer, and then sees he doesn't fall so he cross checks him in the face. Once Stamkos is down another Habs player knees him in the head. How is there no call on either play? The league needs to get serious and start calling penalties in the playoffs. Lucic hitting guys in the nuts for the second time this year and no suspension. I love watching rough and physical hockey, but enough of this amateur league cheap shot hockey. Prust and Lucic should both been suspended to make an example. Seabrook got off light in my book. He takes out the blues captain for an indefinite amount of time and only gets three games.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Price also went out of his crease, once you do that, I believe you can't get interference. So he goes out of his crease, has time to come back to make a save but can't make it on Cally's shot.

There can still be an interference/incidental contact call if the goalie is a little outside of the crease. I've seen it happen in the past. Absolutely awful break and I'd be just as pissed if this happened to the Habs as you guys are. It technically is a rule, though. A stupid rule, perhaps, but a rule no less.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There can still be an interference/incidental contact call if the goalie is a little outside of the crease. I've seen it happen in the past. Absolutely awful break and I'd be just as pissed if this happened to the Habs as you guys are. It technically is a rule, though. A stupid rule, perhaps, but a rule no less.

The problem with the rule is it says that if the interference resulted in the Goalie not being able to defend against a shot. Price had enough time to stop the Callahan shot, but he could not. He was on his feet, ready to defend, but was not quick enough since the puck had gone from one side to the other.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
It seems like the Habs get a mulligan on a goal against pretty frequently. It's completely nuts. The Sens have had 3 goals disallowed against the Habs in the last 2 seasons on phantom calls.

Whatever, anyone who watches that replay will clearly see 1) Subban getting in front of Killorn and preventing him from leaving the net and 2) Price intentionally bumping into Killorn a bit later.

Price won't be getting the benefit of the doubt for a little while. Too bad it took the Lightning getting screwed out of a playoff series.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
The problem with the rule is it says that if the interference resulted in the Goalie not being able to defend against a shot. Price had enough time to stop the Callahan shot, but he could not. He was on his feet, ready to defend, but was not quick enough since the puck had gone from one side to the other.

He did stop the shot. He flopped like a ****ing catfish and put the puck in his own net. He established his position twice. Once to launch at Killorn to try to buy a call and once again to flail across the net to sell it double hard on Callahan's shot.

He sold the call, official bought it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There's no point anymore in getting into a pissing match of who's right and who's wrong. We lost the game and the series is most likely over. Hopefully we can avoid the sweep and keep some pride in a great season.

To avoid situations like this the league needs to blow the play dead once a player enters the net. No chance in him unintentionally bumping the goalie and causing a controversy.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
It seems like the Habs get a mulligan on a goal against pretty frequently. It's completely nuts. The Sens have had 3 goals disallowed against the Habs in the last 2 seasons on phantom calls.

Whatever, anyone who watches that replay will clearly see 1) Subban getting in front of Killorn and preventing him from leaving the net and 2) Price intentionally bumping into Killorn a bit later.

Price won't be getting the benefit of the doubt for a little while. Too bad it took the Lightning getting screwed out of a playoff series.

Funny, we've had 3 or 4 in this one season.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
How hilarious does this look now, in hindsight?

Look, Carey Price is an excellent goaltender. Absolutely excellent. It's hard to beat him.

It's even harder to beat him when ticky-tack nonsense sees goals disallowed.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
There was also something resembling a make-up call almost immediately after the PPG, however. In fact, once again I think something just like that happened in the final regular season as well; a make-up call after an (admittedly) weak penalty that the Lightning converted for a goal.

It would be nice if this was remembered before immediately jumping to a "Habs deserved a make-up" thing with this goalie interference nonsense.

I live in MTL and much of the lunacy comes from the new generation of habs fan who know little about tough hockey and little about winning. the older habs fans are much more knowledgeable

This is true. Habs fans who have watched the wonderful hockey of Canadiens' teams past are a treasure and need to be appreciated while we have them around.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Regardless of poor officiating the Habs have clearly outplayed the Lightning in this series. We can say well we don't have Bishop and Palat was out a game. But they still outplayed this team. I don't think the Lightning played their best hockey and if they did the series would be much closer but they haven't. And they are down 3 games to nothing. Regardless of what happens in this series I don't think either team does much beyond this round.

The Lightning are a young team and still need to learn how to play as a unit in the playoffs. I don't think Montreal is that good of a team. They won't be getting calls their way the whole tournament. They aren't a great team to begin with. Boston and Pittsburgh will beat them easily. Now I think the future of the Lightning is very bright and will have good solid goaltending and will have some more scoring available when Drouin comes to play. They will also have a chance to improve the defense this offseason. I like the Bolts chances down the line more than the Canadians do. This series is a complete joke to me and I can't take it seriously.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
Some preferential treatment for Canadian teams should be expected. It shouldn't happen, but in reality it does and should be expected. The Bolts need to be sharper than normal to counter it.

Tampa looked better in game 3, but mostly we've played poorly with sloppy passes, coverages, breakouts, etc... We could give some credit to Montreal who have played well, but really, with the way we have played, we would not of beaten any of the other 15 playoff teams. Why the disappointing play? Fans can guess: injuries, inexperience, low confidence in the goalie, some locker room issue. Only the guys in the locker room know for sure.

I would like to see the guys play one sharp playoff game, we've seen them play sharply many times this season, to prove to the world that this season was not a fluke.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Well, not necessarily on that last part. The Lightning have a great deal of cap space available and that will grow in the off-season when Malone is compliance'd (whether Purcell sticks around or not, and whether there is any salary retention on a trade is a different discussion). It'll be interesting to see how the Lightning balance their young players who will very soon receive larger wages and improving that blueline because there is a need to bolster the blueline.

But we have a different thread for that discussion so I'll just cut off my end of it here.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well, not necessarily on that last part. The Lightning have a great deal of cap space available and that will grow in the off-season when Malone is compliance'd (whether Purcell sticks around or not, and whether there is any salary retention on a trade is a different discussion). It'll be interesting to see how the Lightning balance their young players who will very soon receive larger wages and improving that blueline because there is a need to bolster the blueline.

But we have a different thread for that discussion so I'll just cut off my end of it here.

Yeah I know it does not look good this series, hate to talk about next season, but I think the little hope that we had just went out the window with that bad call on the no goal.

Next season is around 5 months away so a lot to chat about in the off season, but at least you and I will have the Yankees and Jeter's last season to enjoy till then. ;)

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said his team will need to be physical with Palat if he does play, and made a point of mentioning how the Canadiens “know where Palat is injured.

hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad