Post-Game Talk: 4-2 loss to Capitals | Leafs gonna leaf

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
it really does boggle my mind how clarkson can be such a black hole to this team.

even on routine plays like when he dumps it in or standing in front of the net.

I just dont undertand how a guy like him with his skating and hockey IQ could score 30 goals in a season...

Feb 24, 2004
Maybe we just need to realize that we aren't that good of a team. We're a lot like the Habs - our best players make us playoff contenders but we lack the depth to be a good team.

Which many of us have said since the beginning. It's just humorous watching the coach talk about "compete level" when the team's skill is what it is. We are a decent team, with great goaltending and two all stars on our top line.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I wouldn't get too complacent. With this loss, the Leafs have been knocked out of their #2 Atlantic seed and now they are only 4 points clear of a playoff spot (Toronto 80 pts in 69 games, 9th place NY Rangers 76 pts in 69 games). Only 13 games left to go but a bad losing skid can knock the Leafs out.

Eastern Conference Standings by Point Percentage (PP%)

1 BOSTON .709 (Atlantic Division Champion)
2 PITTSBURGH .687 (Metropolitan Division Champion)
---------------------------------------------------
3. (Atlantic #2 Seed) TAMPA BAY .590
4. (Atlantic #3 Seed) MONTREAL .581
5. (Metropolitan #2 Seed) PHILADELPHIA .575
6. (Metropolitan #3 Seed) COLUMBUS .567
7. (WILD CARD) TORONTO .580
8. (WILD CARD) DETROIT .553
9. NY RANGERS .551

From the way things look, we could end up facing one of Pittsburgh/Boston/Tampa Bay/Montreal in the first round of the Playoffs. Right now it would be Pittsburgh (#2 faces #7). But with the Eastern race so tight, seeds change frequently.

The NY Rangers gave the moon for Marty St-Louis and they're in danger of not making the playoffs. lol. They're gonna wish they kept dat 1st round draft pick. Even if that pick ends up being only 14th overall or something, it's a bad deal. Hell you never know, that could be the ping pong ball that gets Connor McDavid in 2015... With solid scouting, prospect development and some luck, a 14th overall draft pick could turn out good. Meanwhile Marty St-Louis is 38 going on 39 and his contract ends in 2015 anyway.

If we go .500 the rest of the way that should get us to the 92-93 point mark which is usually enough. And to be honest, if we're not at least playing .500 hockey heading in to the playoffs I'm not sure I want to make it

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Which many of us have said since the beginning. It's just humorous watching the coach talk about "compete level" when the team's skill is what it is. We are a decent team, with great goaltending and two all stars on our top line.

One shot on net IS compete level. If they lack so much on skill there is NO way they pull off that second period.

Feb 24, 2004
One shot on net IS compete level. If they lack so much on skill there is NO way they pull off that second period.

Or maybe when you're not a very good team, those periods are bound to happen.

Are you going to suggest that Washington stopped competing in the second period?

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Or maybe when you're not a very good team, those periods are bound to happen.

Are you going to suggest that Washington stopped competing in the second period?

No, the leafs stopped watching the game and started playing hockey. You know, what they are supposed to do.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I mean 2 minutes a night?

Like seriously?

Ashton is a youngster who has shown to be useful.
Randy is ruining him.

There's three things I would prefer they do with Ashton than what they're doing now:
1. Give him more minute
2. Trade him
3. At least let him play in the AHL

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Very tough schedule to wrap up the year

Every game left is a playoff club or one clawing to get into the playoffs except for maybe Jersey. I like their chances in the last game with Washington too but otherwise it will be a dogfight to do better than .500 the rest of the way. I have no preference on opponents in the first round so on the one hand a 7-8 seed means a much better draft pick than last year, but we don't want them sputtering into the playoffs either. The most promising April in Leafland in a while.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
missed the game. anything noteworthy happen?

Phaneuf realized he can score without trying to annihilate the puck, Clarkson is a black hole on offense as he played with JVR and Bozak and Lupul was careless with the puck in the last few seconds of the game.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Phaneuf realized he can score without trying to annihilate the puck, Clarkson is a black hole on offense as he played with JVR and Bozak and Lupul was careless with the puck in the last few seconds of the game.

where did kessel play?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh yeah, the experience is SO terrifying that he only has a 64-41-26 record while in net!

The team is so terrified that they've played at a 96-97 pt pace while he's been the goalie.

If anything, it must be a terrifying experience for Reimer for playing behind such a garbage defensive team for pretty much his entire career. I mean imagine having only 2 defenseman who can actually give you a consistent performance from game to game for the majority of the time that you have been here, hell it still is that way right now tbh.

That record doesn't look so hot when you consider the number of times he's been pulled this year and Bernier got saddled with the loss.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Some possession stats and percentages from the game. The Washington Capitals out-shot attempted the Leafs on the 5v5 but the Leafs were beating them in the 5v5. The Leafs out-shot attempted Washington in the special teams game. But Washington scored 2 goals on their powerplay. Very interesting to see two very different results between the 5v5 play and the special teams.

It has often been said in analytics circles that 5v5 score close situations are more predictive of winning than straight 5v5 though. While the Leafs scored more overall in 5v5, Washington had the edge in close score situations. The Leafs' 2 goals on the 5v5 was really just them playing catch up after being down 3-0.

5v5
WSH 50-35 Corsi (shot attempts) (58.8% vs 41.2%)
TOR 9.5% sh% WSH 3.7% sh%
TOR 96.3% sv% WSH 90.5% sv%

5v5 Score Close
WSH 13-10 Corsi (56.5% vs 43.5%)
WSH 12.5% sh% TOR 0% sh%
WSH 100% sv% TOR 87.5% sv%

Special Teams (6 mins PP TOR, 5.5 mins PP WSH)
TOR 14-7 Corsi
WSH 40% sh% TOR 0% sh%
WSH 100% sv% TOR 60% sv%

The most important thing I think is that the Leafs need to be playing better 5v5 hockey in score close situations. It seems like either the Leafs get killed early in games. Or they get an early lead and then blow it.

This penalty kill is so dysfunctional. Either they allow a whole bunch of shots that eventually lead to goals allowed. Or as in this game, they do a good job of preventing shots. But the shots that get through are high-percentage shots (as evident by the putrid 60% save % on the PK). Our penalty kill can't catch a break man.

Last edited:

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
haha the sky is falling already?

You all were screaming hallelujah after the Kings victory and proclaiming it the best game in a long time, blah-blah-blah. They had a **** period and paid for it. It happens. MOVE ON.

Hopefully they forget about it quickly and regroup for the biggest week of the season! Three divisional opponents, all within striking distance. TB and MTL are too close, gotta push them into the dog-fight, and help eliminate Detroit.

mikebel111*

You all were screaming hallelujah after the Kings victory and proclaiming it the best game in a long time, blah-blah-blah. They had a **** period and paid for it. It happens. MOVE ON.

Hopefully they forget about it quickly and regroup for the biggest week of the season! Three divisional opponents, all within striking distance. TB and MTL are too close, gotta push them into the dog-fight, and help eliminate Detroit.

Dont sweat it. All part of being a leaf fan.

Our magic number still improved as well

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Something has to be said about how the Leafs start their games. How many games has it been where Leafs are flat for the first 10 mins? This issue has plagued this team since the Wilson years, and still hasn't been fixed. I do recall Carlyle saying that we have to fix this, yet we have even heard on acknowledgement that it is a problem which needs to be fixed.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada

It happens way too often with this team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad