Post-Game Talk: 4-2 Loss. Nothing new

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
With normal goaltending on your team, outshooting and outchancing your opponent should more often than not result in a win.

Get us an average goaltender who can play around .910% and we win most of our games this year and can look past Yak struggling or defensive breakdowns for now.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I would dangle Yak for the best package that includes a goalie--and hopefully a good Dman--we can get. He doesn't seem to fit, he can't play defense, and the forward group without him is fine--especially on the wings, and he's a winger.

Flame away.

The first guy I would be shopping is Eberle and its NEC!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yes, both of them. They are both letting in one more goal every 10 shots than they have averaged through their careers. That's a hell of a coincidence. At what point do you start to look at that as a symptom of something bigger at play? 10 games? 20? A third goaltender also shaving 10% from his save percentage?

If Miller comes here and immediately drops to DD/Labarbera number then sure, you've got a legit point. But neither of our guys have ever been proven starters. So perhaps it's just that they aren't up to the task.

I suspect that both the system and goaltending need to change.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
People on this board are way too patient with everyone. Become more reactionary and aggressive with your posts, this patience and wait and see attitude after 6 games is way too passive and thoughtful.

I say trade Hall, Nuge, and of course Yak for picks and start the rebuild all over again.

Or trade them for vets! Hall for Alfie, Nuge for Koivu and yak for Jagr!:yo:

The Perfect Human*

Apparently the 2-1, 3-1, and 4-1 goals all went in on consecutive shots. 3 shots. 3 goals.

Just not good enough.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
And this is why stats are so misleading. Just like RNH's -9, you may want to look at those goals again. But yeah, it's their fault that weak goals are happening.

Yep, these guys have been playing huge minutes in front of the worst goalie tandem I've ever seen. They've certainly made mistakes but plus/minus is useless right now.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Yak and Klefbom for Lehner and Cowen. Sucks but it's gotta be done.

95% of sens fan are saying no for Lehner, the organization would never give him up especially for all the years we had problems in finding a consistent goalie. You would have to settle with anderson, hes still in his prime.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 9m

...I am told (from a neutral source) odds of losing five straight games when scoring first in a game is about 1 in 432 based on 12-13 #'s

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
With normal goaltending on your team, outshooting and outchancing your opponent should more often than not result in a win.

Get us an average goaltender who can play around .910% and we win most of our games this year and can look past Yak struggling or defensive breakdowns for now.

It's not just about shot totals. It's about quality of shots as well as how the team plays when the puck is moving the other way into their own zone.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011

...I am told (from a neutral source) odds of losing five straight games when scoring first in a game is about 1 in 432 based on 12-13 #'s

Was just about to post this. Yikes.

The Perfect Human*

What were odds of doing it in 4 consecutive games?

EVBetting Site

Jun 29, 2011
Edmonton

This would obviously depend on the team in question and can't be applied in a vacuum like this. For a team like the Oilers it's probably a lot closer to 1 in 100. For a team like St. Louis it would be upwards of 1 in 10000

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Colorado seems to be doing just fine from the get-go??? Maybe these great Oiler young-guns aren't as great as the media has you believe...seems to me they haven't done anything yet!

Their goalie is having 35-40 save nights.

Like honestly, go to NHL.com and look at any single one of their game recaps.

Every single game, one of their goalies is in the 3 Stars.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The team is a defensemen's hell. I mean, 1) The offense is terrible defensively 2) it looks like the offense set up more goals against than in 3) goaltending.

In such situation even Webber of Chara would look like average top4ers on Oilers. The management must fix this somehow.

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
The first guy I would be shopping is Eberle and its NEC!

I'd have to agree. Eberle is far more one-dimensional than Yakupov and depsite Yakupov's struggles, I expect him to break through it soon. Eberle boosters always point to games where he makes these awesome dangles and scores nice goals, but 90% of the time, these games come against the less physical teams in the league. The moment a team bodies up on him, Eberle becomes a ghost out there and I just don't see how you can pay a guy $6million to only consistently be a powerplay threat, because 5v5 he is generally not very good. Whethe people like it or not, he is a complimentary player, a lot of his offence is a direct result of good linemates and less physical opponents.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Will you all feel better if this losing continues and Lowe lets us know near the end of the season that it was all part of the plan for the final phase of the rebuild? I know I will!! :help:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

What are the odds that an assistant coach survives 4 head coaching changes? The oilers exist to defy these kinds of odds.

Team Omark*

Yak should have been traded for Seguin when MacT had the chance to fix center issues but he dun goofed. Then could have dangled Snowpants for a goaltender and boom, 2 or 3 birds with one stone. Center issue fixed, Goalie issue fix, and Yak issue resolved.

Hall - Nuge - Hemsky
Perron - Seguin - Eberle

*Not Dubnyk.

Wishful thinking but MacT really doomed this team right from his lack of action in summer.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Will you all feel better if this losing continues and Lowe lets us know near the end of the season that it was all part of the plan for the final phase of the rebuild? I know I will!! :help:

Three more #1 picks is all we need. All scoring wingers. This team MUST be modeled on the 80's Oilers. I think that's what Lowe's trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad