GDT: 4/16/15 - 7:30PM EDT - #3 Detroit VS #2 Tampa Bay [ECQF GAME 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm not as down as I should be. Trying to be optimistic, I think last night's result was a bit more of a fluke than of a true picture of how the series result will go.

The first Datsyuk goal was legit, it's hard to fault a goalie on a re-direct like that. What I didn't like was the Glendening goal and the lack of effort by Hedman and Bishop on that one. Get that one back, and it's a much different game.

Bolts put a lot of weak shots into Mrazek's chest but they also hit a few posts, one off the keeper's jersey. Another two inches on any of those shots and again it's a much different game.

What needs to happen in game 2 is that the team needs to wake up and realize that it's playoff hockey. The Wings know how to show up and find that extra gear at this time of year and that was the difference last night, Detroit showed more hustle and grit, they were just a harder team throughout the game.

Come out with a purpose tomorrow, get a goal on the board early and I think everything shifts into the Lightning favor and carries them through the series. If they aren't ready again, and Detroit is allowed to escape with another W... then I think we can start booking tee times. I'm really feeling that the Bolts come back with some fire and get it done!

Yzlamic Preacher*

I'm not as down as I should be. Trying to be optimistic, I think last night's result was a bit more of a fluke than of a true picture of how the series result will go.

The first Datsyuk goal was legit, it's hard to fault a goalie on a re-direct like that. What I didn't like was the Glendening goal and the lack of effort by Hedman and Bishop on that one. Get that one back, and it's a much different game.

Bolts put a lot of weak shots into Mrazek's chest but they also hit a few posts, one off the keeper's jersey. Another two inches on any of those shots and again it's a much different game.

What needs to happen in game 2 is that the team needs to wake up and realize that it's playoff hockey. The Wings know how to show up and find that extra gear at this time of year and that was the difference last night, Detroit showed more hustle and grit, they were just a harder team throughout the game.

Come out with a purpose tomorrow, get a goal on the board early and I think everything shifts into the Lightning favor and carries them through the series. If they aren't ready again, and Detroit is allowed to escape with another W... then I think we can start booking tee times. I'm really feeling that the Bolts come back with some fire and get it done!

This guy gets it. I agree with all of this.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Roloson and Smith were our goalies in 2011. My point was that our PP during that run was ridiculously good. We need that or at least have our PP be a positive factor. 0/7 - there really is no excuse. We can blame Bish all we want but the fact that we didn't even score once with the man-advantage was the real neckbreaker.
It wasn't just the PP, but the pk too in 2011.

Here's the PP's of both teams in each series.

team|game 1|game 2|game 3|game 4|game 5|game 6|game 7|Series Total
TBL |0/1|2/6|0/4|2/4|4/7|0/3|0/2|8/27
PIT |0/6|0/7|1/3|0/2|0/7|0/5|0/5|1/35
PP: 29.6%
PK: 97.1%

team|game 1|game 2|game 3|game 4|Series Total
TBL |1/4|1/5|0/4|2/5|4/18
WSH |0/5|0/6|1/5|1/3|2/19
PP: 22.2%
PK: 89.4%

team|game 1|game 2|game 3|game 4|game 5|game 6|game 7|Series Total
TBL |1/5|1/4|0/3|0/2|0/4|3/4|0/0|5/22
BOS |0/4|2/6|0/3|0/2|0/4|1/5|0/0|3/24
PP: 22.7%
PK: 87.5%

All 3 Rounds
PP: 25.4%
PK: 92.3%

We won the special teams battle.

Now look back at last night and we gave up a pp goal, a shorthanded goal, and we didn't score on our own numerous pps. Special teams helped win the game for Detriot, because they certainly couldn't beat us 5 on 5.
I just hope the Lightning react better to this defeat than I am. I feel completely deflated. Fortunately I'm just a fan.
Yeah, I'm a little bit worried with how this one stung. It's not good to get swept last year and then lose this 1st one at home.

Last edited:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
If we chill out with the giveaways and keep throwing that kind of shot differential up, I really can't see us not running away with the rest of this series.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Just start vasy go with the kid like the wings did

We already had one goalie make a playoff debut so I don't think the recipe for success is to start another goalie who has zero NHL playoff experience. If Bishop lets in softies on Saturday too I maybe would think about it as we have nothing to lose at that point by starting Vasy.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Well just my opinions on the game. The team completely outplayed Detroit, but it shows that just because you outplay a team doesnt mean you will win. Playoff hockey is different. Tampa took a lot of low chance shots, but I'd rather get 40+ shots in a loss than less than 20 shots. The PP is awful. Don't know why. It never makes sense. they also lost the important face offs. They dominated the ones that didnt matter, but on icings and PP's, they consistently botched the faceoff.

The team was out of place on all of the goals. I literally points on the first goal about 10 seconds before it happened and said "Detroits going to score." both defensemen and a forward were sitting infront of Bishop leaving Detroit open. Paquette botched Boyles faceoff win giving Detroit an easy shot. The shorthanded goal was just bad PP. Bishop should have stopped 1 of those for sure, but it was those momentary mistakes that cost the game. If they can get those out, they will be able to win the series. If they keep getting out of place, they are going to get swept again.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Cooper waited too long to pull the plug on Lindback last year. He better be ready if Bish can't handle playoff hockey and put in Vasi before its too late.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012

Thats not what I saw at all. I saw the Bolts as the much faster team, first to all the pucks, they would go into the corner against 2 wings and come out with the puck time and time again. 46 shots to 14!!! About the ONLY thing Detroit did good last night was clear rebounds after shots. They seemed to really limit TB's 2nd/3rd chances at pucks by clearing rebounds effectively.

I didn't see this extra gear by Detroit that you saw. Mrazek stood on his head and they cleared rebounds very well. That's about it. Datsyuk was Datsyuk when he had the puck in the O-zone. TB's triplet line, and Detroit's kid lines didn't really do much (cancelled each other out?), Bishop played poorly, and TB did themselves no favors by not cashing in on any of their multiple PP opportunities.

I would expect both teams to be better next game and for the next game to be much more closely contested. I would expect Mrazek won't be as good, Bishop won't be as bad, and the rest of the players will be more engaged.

It's funny how some here have gone from over confident to calling Game 2(!!!) a must win now for TB. LOL
I hope the TB players are a bit more grounded than that.
I'm still predicting TB in 6.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Thats not what I saw at all. I saw the Bolts as the much faster team, first to all the pucks, they would go into the corner against 2 wings and come out with the puck time and time again. 46 shots to 14!!! About the ONLY thing Detroit did good last night was clear rebounds after shots. They seemed to really limit TB's 2nd/3rd chances at pucks by clearing rebounds effectively.

I didn't see this extra gear by Detroit that you saw. Mrazek stood on his head and they cleared rebounds very well. That's about it. Datsyuk was Datsyuk when he had the puck in the O-zone. TB's triplet line, and Detroit's kid lines didn't really do much (cancelled each other out?), Bishop played poorly, and TB did themselves no favors by not cashing in on any of their multiple PP opportunities.

I would expect both teams to be better next game and for the next game to be much more closely contested. I would expect Mrazek won't be as good, Bishop won't be as bad, and the rest of the players will be more engaged.

It's funny how some here have gone from over confident to calling Game 2(!!!) a must win now for TB. LOL
I'm trying to be hopeful but I'm sorry I don't see us Winning this series! We were giving many pp chances and can't cash in! We were suppose to have the goalie edge but bishop pulled a maf. Redwings in 6. Redwings played bad I expect them to be better in game 2. Other then bishop how will we improve? I also think our guys are to small to create traffic in front of there net! We are not getting rebounds. This team to me looks like they are not ready for NHL playoff hockey.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Comparing Bishop in any way to Lindback makes me sad and gives me the urge to vomit

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Agreed on Wings getting pretty much completely outplayed except for their great work at cleaning up rebounds. Z was pretty much completely neutralized. Datsyuk was given a bit too much room two times and he made us pay twice.

I'm still very confident we win this series, but game 2 is a must win. We would be in very bad shape if we went into Detroit down 2-0 to a veteran Detroit squad. Not to mention that would be 6 playoff losses in a row for the kids on this team and that is not good for morale.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm calling it a must-win for their confidence. I stand by that.

I agree by no means would they be done but why dig themselves deep in a hole? They need to even this series, take a game in Detroit and come back home with the series even. I don't see them taking two in Detroit which makes this game tomorrow a must win.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I loathe narrative-based thinking, and being down 0-2 for a second straight year with six straight playoff losses in total would really start to ramp up any "next Blues/Sharks" comparisons, and as unfair as those could possibly be, they would still exist nonetheless.

The Lightning were an excellent home ice team last year and even better this year. What would it say that, in both cases, all it got them was an 0-2 deficit on the road? I'll go with the logic here that says Game 2 is a must win. Lose that game, and it's a long road back to being in this series.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Cooper waited too long to pull the plug on Lindback last year. He better be ready if Bish can't handle playoff hockey and put in Vasi before its too late.

I'm not sure what you're expecting Vasy to do. The kid hasn't played in 17 days, and the last few games he was in he struggled. He said it himself that he'd lost confidence and admitted to having issues not playing a lot. So bringing Vasy, a 20 year old rookie, into a pressure situation in the playoffs would not be a great idea.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I really hope that this is the case for tomorrow and going forward:

They all need to find a way to give 100% and help each other out, can't have a few guys doing it while some other take the night off, like even if you struggle offensivly then you should do other things for the team, play physical and hit hard, lay down to block shots and play 'd' when you can, you know, things like that which will help the team in both ends of the ice and at least not stand around and just watch the puck or think that someone else will do something, rather two players going after the puck, like on DETs 3rd goal there could have been several players trying to stop him, oh well, tomorrows game will be very telling.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I really hope that this is the case for tomorrow and going forward:

They all need to find a way to give 100% and help each other out, can't have a few guys doing it while some other take the night off, like even if you struggle offensivly then you should do other things for the team, play physical and hit hard, lay down to block shots and play 'd' when you can, you know, things like that which will help the team in both ends of the ice and at least not stand around and just watch the puck or think that someone else will do something, rather two players going after the puck, like on DETs 3rd goal there could have been several players trying to stop him, oh well, tomorrows game will be very telling.

I'll wAit and see Tyler

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'll wAit and see Tyler

TKO was quiet last night . Top line got better and better,as the game went on and the 4th line also had some nice pressure. So hopefully TKO goes into beast mode tomorrow. We need them to, can't only have one scoring line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad