GDT: 4/14/19 - 7:00PM EDT - #1AT Tampa Bay @ #2WC Columbus [ECQF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I wanted him fired in 2017. We could have had:

Q then, Trotz last year, possibly even - le GASPPPPP - Torts last year

As for now? There's no worthy coach out there. Start the rebuild with a coach we have no expectations for (Housley even) until the coach that is worthy of Vinik's money is available.

Cooper is not worthy.

Brisbois is off to a horrific start. Stand pat at the trade deadline. Extend worthless head coach after biggest choke in NHL history. He's 0-2 so far. Yuck.

JBB is no Yzerman.

Reactions: ultra63

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I think a lot of people underestimate how much some of Yzerman’s signings/guys he let go ****ed us.

Stamkos
Killorn
Palat
Sergachev
Gourde

vs

Boyle
Filppula
Gusev
Marchessault
Witkowski

24 million cap hit next season for 5 guys who are worthless in the playoffs vs 12 million for the second group. Yikes.
The second group is objectively bad outside of Marchessault and Gusev. SY tried to re-sign Marchessault and there was no interest for Gusev coming over when we had his rights - neither of these are on him.

Witkowski? Boyle? Fil? Give me a break.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Brisbois is off to a horrific start. Stand pat at the trade deadline. Extend worthless head coach after biggest choke in NHL history. He's 0-2 so far. Yuck.

JBB is no Yzerman.
Yzerman wouldn't have made a deal at the deadline either, FFS. They challenged the team to cut down chances and GA, and they responded. There was no need to make a move.

I'm not happy with how this is playing out, either, but stuff like this is why you're not well received around here.

"I DON'T CARE I'M A REAL FAN"

Cool.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Maybe someone from the Kings that pulled off the comeback can call us up the way Ray Bourque did in 2004.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yzerman wouldn't have made a deal at the deadline either, FFS. They challenged the team to cut down chances and GA, and they responded. There was no need to make a move.

I'm not happy with how this is playing out, either, but stuff like this is why you're not well received around here.

"I DON'T CARE I'M A REAL FAN"

Cool.

Link? How do you know? just curious. Like I care what the smack talkers think of me? That smack talk aged well. Other fans think we are all idiots because of the really awesome smack talkers. Nice job.

Since we all care what our internet friends think of us.

BTW, I called this all year. Don't hate the messenger, buddy ole pal.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Who cares? No one of us was serious.

Honestly, it has no bearing on the outcome. But it does represent the fanbase poorly. When you have other fans coming in happy we are getting swept because "our fans were obnoxious" that's porobably not that great.

While you claim..."not serious" a lot of folks thought you were. Sorry. It was bad juju from the get go and you all look foolish now.

Reactions: Bobcat110

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Link? How do you know? just curious. Like I care what the smack talkers think of me? That smack talk aged well. Other fans think we are all idiots because of the really awesome smack talkers. Nice job.

Since we all care what our internet friends think of us.

BTW, I called this all year. Don't hate the messenger, buddy ole pal.

OH NOES! RANDOM PEOPLE ON A HOCKEY MESSAGEBOARD THINK I'M AN IDIOT? HOW WILL I RECOVER?

ME, RN:
tenor.gif

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
People already thought we were obnoxious when it was friggin Leaf fans and other teams fans constantly posting threads about us on main boards, not us.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Columbus is killing us with discipline too. Very few penalties so our power play hasn't had a chance.

Granted, you have to skate hard to actually draw a penalty.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Columbus is killing us with discipline too. Very few penalties so our power play hasn't had a chance.

Granted, you have to skate hard to actually draw a penalty.
I feel like they've "let the boys play" even more than in any or our recent playoff series. There's no penalties for either team unless it's super obvious.

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
Honestly, it has no bearing on the outcome. But it does represent the fanbase poorly. When you have other fans coming in happy we are getting swept because "our fans were obnoxious" that's porobably not that great.

While you claim..."not serious" a lot of folks thought you were. Sorry. It was bad juju from the get go and you all look foolish now.

Exactly right! So predictable now that we’re hearing the “we weren’t being serious” excuses... Why can’t people ever just admit their faults?

And to the ones being facetious about the smack talk correlating to this collapse, just stop. Of course our meaningless words have no bearing on the games outcome, we know that. But it does reflect poorly of our arrogance to other fans around the league, and when a collapse of this magnitude is in the works, it’s just more salt in the wound. I get that having fun & chirping is part of the allure of these boards but the overconfidence was unwarranted for a team that’s had trouble closing the deal for years now. I’d never seen lightning fans acting so arrogant, so maybe as a silver lining we’ll all be a little more reserved & humble next time.

No need to take offense or get all bent outta shape. Those who did it know who they are. Just own it and stop making excuses or justifying it, we’ve had enough embarrassment so far. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I feel like Columbus' low penalty reputation from the regular season has carried over to the playoffs and has made it impossible to get a call.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
The second group is objectively bad outside of Marchessault and Gusev. SY tried to re-sign Marchessault and there was no interest for Gusev coming over when we had his rights - neither of these are on him.

Witkowski? Boyle? Fil? Give me a break.

SY gambled on Gusev to retain worse players. That's 100% on him. Losing Marchessault by not giving him ice time is 100% on Cooper and him too.

Whether we would have been able to get those two guys on the roster or not, I'd still gladly take the cap space by not re-signing Stamkos, Palat, Killorn, and Gourde where we'd have been able to go after a couple notable free agents, who can actually produce in the playoffs, and not be stuck in cap hell.

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
On other thing, does it bother anyone else that Marty St Louis is coaching the team that’s beating the snot out of the team he made his career with? The guy’s number is retired in our rafters & is forever a lightning legend. Now he and Torts team up to hand us one of the worst upsets in the modern era. I’m sorry but it bothers the heck outta me. Forget the trade request & all that, this annoys me more considering the circumstances

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
On other thing, does it bother anyone else that Marty St Louis is coaching the team that’s beating the snot out of the team he made his career with? The guy’s number is retired in our rafters & is forever a lightning legend. Now he and Torts team up to hand us one of the worst upsets in the modern era. I’m sorry but it bothers the heck outta me. Forget the trade request & all that, this annoys me more considering the circumstances
Marty cried his way out of this organization. He doesn't deserve the love he gets.

This doesn't have anything to do with St. Louis, though. This has everything to do with the lack of heart from the big boys on this squad and a lack of knowledge on the part of our coach.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
What's he supposed to do, phone it in? Say, ah, well, I used to play for these guys, guess I'll do a bad job.

Reactions: Hoek

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
SY gambled on Gusev to retain worse players. That's 100% on him. Losing Marchessault by not giving him ice time is 100% on Cooper and him too.

Whether we would have been able to get those two guys on the roster or not, I'd still gladly take the cap space by not re-signing Stamkos, Palat, Killorn, and Gourde where we'd have been able to go after a couple notable free agents, who can actually produce in the playoffs, and not be stuck in cap hell.
I don't like the Gusev thing, but Marchessault was an 18 point in 45 games guy with TB. Getting 12 minutes a game. That comes out to like 32 points a season. That would have put him at #9 on the team the following season. No one knew he'd do what he did in FL that year or he would have been resigned.

One of those scenarios you listed was pretty poor asset management with Gusev, the other, you're basically blaming Cooper and the management team for not seeing into the future.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I don't like the Gusev thing, but Marchessault was an 18 point in 45 games guy with TB. Getting 12 minutes a game. That comes out to like 32 points a season. That would have put him at #9 on the team the following season. No one knew he'd do what he did in FL that year or he would have been resigned.

One of those scenarios you listed was pretty poor asset management with Gusev, the other, you're basically blaming Cooper and the management team for not seeing into the future.

Or Cooper playing his favorites as usual in place of guys who have potential...

A large part of his and SY's job is talent evaluation, so yes not seeing what you have is definitely their fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad