GDT: 4/12/22 - 9:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Dallas

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
We've still got 9 games to figure it out. Honestly I think WC1 may be the optimal route for us anyways, so long as we can find our form at some point.

I think Carolina is a great team, but my impression of them from last year is that they may be a bit too "nice" of a team. Whenever we went goon mode they sort of seemed to... falter a bit. I respect them for ignoring the antics and focusing on hockey, but it didn't really work out for them. It just sort of felt like we had our way with them physically.

I agree with Carolina. I could always end up being wrong, especially if we face them in the first round, but I don't see it with that team. They seem precisely like the kind of team roster-wise that thrives in the regular season but can be exposed in the playoffs when star-power plays up. They averaged less than 2 goals per game against us in the series a year ago. Andersen has been great, but he's had strong regular seasons before followed up by less than strong playoff performances. He has a lot to prove. And even if they beat us, I still don't see them going for the Cup.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
IFFFFF we get WC1 and IF we were to win the series against Carolina wouldn't we still face Florida in the 2nd round? We'd still be the lowest seed (assuming NYR and PIT finish with more points).

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
That's not how it works. Wildcards stay in the bracket they start in, no reseeding.

This is so weird. How does this misconception keep popping up? I've seen it constantly on this forum in recent days. Shit, back in 2016 we faced a Metro cross-over team in the second round of the playoffs. Cross-overs stay where they are...think about it, if we slide into the Metro as the top wild card and the Panthers face PIT/WSH while the Leafs and Bruins face each other...if we played the Panthers (assuming we both win in the first round), who would the Bruins face in the second round? Where would they go? I wouldn't mind them disappearing into thin air but quite obviously that's not how things work.

Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
This is so weird. How does this misconception keep popping up? I've seen it constantly on this forum in recent days. Shit, back in 2016 we faced a Metro cross-over team in the second round of the playoffs. Cross-overs stay where they are...think about it, if we slide into the Metro as the top wild card and the Panthers face PIT/WSH while the Leafs and Bruins face each other...if we played the Panthers (assuming we both win in the first round), who would the Bruins face in the second round? Where would they go? I wouldn't mind them disappearing into thin air but quite obviously that's not how things work.
I think the weird formats of the past couple years have scrambled our memory of how it's supposed to work maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad