GDT: 4/11/23 - 7:00PM EDT - Toronto vs Tampa Bay

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
If you want a positive - we stopped the bleeding after the Ranger, Islander, Sens road trip. That was step one to getting back to normal. I’m not a big believer in just flipping the switch so this was essential to correcting a problem. Buuttt now they have to follow it up with Detroit in the final game. Take a step back again and hit that panic button. As for the negatives, once again those self inflicted mistakes end up in our own net. It’s so tiring.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If you want a positive - we stopped the bleeding after the Ranger, Islander, Sens road trip. That was step one to getting back to normal. I’m not a big believer in just flipping the switch so this was essential to correcting a problem. Buuttt now they have to follow it up with Detroit in the final game. Take a step back again and hit that panic button. As for the negatives, once again those self inflicted mistakes end up in our own net. It’s so tiring.
"Stopped the bleeding"

From getting scored on 6 times to only 4 times. Lmao. I get it but it's still not good enough. Vasy and Hedman are crucial to this teams success and the last 3 runs. Neither are playing well. Vasy looks like a backup and Hedman a #4 defenseman.

Reactions: Hoek and DFC

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The numbers on blueline shots aren't great. It's too far away to beat the goalie, and there's a high likelihood it ends up on the other team's stick. If we keep chances to below the top of the circles, then we'll probably be good.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
"Stopped the bleeding"

From getting scored on 6 times to only 4 times. Lmao. I get it but it's still not good enough. Vasy and Hedman are crucial to this teams success and the last 3 runs. Neither are playing well. Vasy looks like a backup and Hedman at #4 defenseman.
If “flip the switch” is real (and I don’t want to discuss the validity of that) then it’s most applicable to vasy. Goalies are a large percentage a mental game, and focus is paramount. I trust that vasy can step up.

Hedman is potentially done like dinner.

Think he's talking about the one where he went down awkwardly iirc. Not the 2019 sweep series. That was the concussion one, right?
Ah yes. You are correct.

Hard to remember which cup run we’re talking about AM I RITE?!??

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Hedman legit hasn't looked good since that weird injury against Columbus in 2021 where we all thought he'd miss the playoffs
Yeah, he was noticeably worse defensively last year as well, but this year...he looks awful. I hope it's a lingering injury thing and not this level of decline already. He just turned 32, so he should have a few prime years left you would think.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
"Stopped the bleeding"

From getting scored on 6 times to only 4 times. Lmao. I get it but it's still not good enough. Vasy and Hedman are crucial to this teams success and the last 3 runs. Neither are playing well. Vasy looks like a backup and Hedman a #4 defenseman.
No doubt it’s a low bar but we’ve gone from what coop had labeled embarrassing to this being an actually competitive game, of course with not all of Torontos players in the lineup. But like what they did in that three game span against NY, Carolina, and Washington, you had to start somewhere which was the Boston game, which was not great, but a start

Reactions: Stammertime91

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I don’t want to see hedman or serge on Thursday.

Hedman because watching him is super frustrating, and serge because he’s our #1 now.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Think he's talking about the one where he went down awkwardly iirc. Not the 2019 sweep series. That was the concussion one, right?
He had the injury vs Philly in the last seeding game during the bubble, then the knee injury vs Columbus in a reg season game in either '21 or last year. It's that injury that must've done something, as he hasn't looked the same since that injury.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I think the issue with Hedman is he's dealing with an injury. You can really see it when he has to go into the corner. He just looks really awkward.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Like seeing a new qb in football, or a rookie pitcher, when you see a new goalie and you don’t have a bunch of tape it’s a little harder to define weaknesses and best practices. Woll looks positionally solid, but his movement wasn’t anything too impressive. Toronto just did a great job limiting cross ice passes and blocking one-timers.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Leafs defense looked really bad. Not team defense, just their defensive men. Not impressive. They looked bad in a strategic sense, but also in an aesthetic. Not like handsome hedman and stunning serge.

It was hard to watch.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Worst full completed regular season since 94 points and missing playoffs in '16-'17. Seeing as how that team was icing a bunch of AHL guys because of all the injuries, there's some justification there. The '15-'16 team only had 97 points and made a run to the ECF, but that team didn't enter the playoffs looking like a lottery team(and was not as deep as this one either). Expected them to have a slump after the break, but unlike the prior several years, they never snapped out of it this time and have just looked worse and worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad