GDT: 4/1/17 - 7:00PM EDT - Montréal VS Tampa Bay

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
They're only human. They've been playing there ***** off for the last 2 months. Games like this are bound to happen. Just be glad we got a point out of it. Still have chance.

Yet we managed to lose to the worst teams and it's the difference. I know that's nitpicking to some extent and what's in the past can't be changed, but when you **** away games against Arizona, Vancouver, Colorado, etc, those are games you look at and realized, yeah, they cost you. Big time. 4 points from Arizona games and we are in it. As of right now, we have to be perfect and hope Boston, Ottawa or Toronto implode. And then, given how we play against both of them 9/10 times, having to play them each, Toronto and Boston, and Montreal again, to make it in, we are screwed. I've been optimistic and hopeful but tonight's results pretty much did it for me.

If they make it in, if, this run deserves some attention league wide.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
why do u guys hate the habs? Its not like we didnt deserve that win. You guys still have a great chance to make the PO. Win tmrw, and hope Boston loses to the best team in the West. 2 points behind and one game in hand. Win that game in hand and beat boston and u control ur destiny. Gl

The Habs did deserve that game, but a couple of things

a) it would be incredible naive to think that fans of a team that has faced Montreal in the playoffs twice in recent years wouldn't have some kind of strong dislike for them (for various other reasons, too)

b) the Lightning don't have the tiebreaker on the Bruins. They need to clear the bar, not match it. So they need some help from some combination of the Blackhawks, Senators, and Capitals.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
why do u guys hate the habs? Its not like we didnt deserve that win. You guys still have a great chance to make the PO. Win tmrw, and hope Boston loses to the best team in the West. 2 points behind and one game in hand. Win that game in hand and beat boston and u control ur destiny. Gl

When you face the same team 2 years in a row in the playoffs hatred tends to grow.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

Really? You're a Habs fan asking this? I've hated them with a passion since the sweep (and probably even before that) and Prust/Bishop antics.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
The Habs did deserve that game, but a couple of things

a) it would be incredible naive to think that fans of a team that has faced Montreal in the playoffs twice in recent years wouldn't have some kind of strong dislike for them (for various other reasons, too)

b) the Lightning don't have the tiebreaker on the Bruins. They need to clear the bar, not match it. So they need some help from some combination of the Blackhawks, Senators, and Capitals.

Im a habs fans and I enjoy watching all the talent the bolts got. I def dont despise them.

Say you win tmrw and Boston loses. You are then 2 points behind. Win Boston and u guys are tied in points but with a game in hand. So do those two things and u should be able to make it.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Yet we managed to lose to the worst teams and it's the difference. I know that's nitpicking to some extent and what's in the past can't be changed, but when you **** away games against Arizona, Vancouver, Colorado, etc, those are games you look at and realized, yeah, they cost you. Big time. 4 points from Arizona games and we are in it. As of right now, we have to be perfect and hope Boston, Ottawa or Toronto implode. And then, given how we play against both of them 9/10 times, having to play them each, and Montreal to make it in, we are screwed. I've been optimistic and hopeful but tonight's results pretty much did it for me.

If they make it in, if, this run deserves some attention league wide.

Well if Stamkos and Johnson come back then it could make things interesting. As for the loses to bad teams. Its easy to look back at game we "should have won" If we didn't lose to those teams then i'm sure we would find other games where we "should have won". If we really should have won then we would have. I think it comes down to fatigue. This team has played a ton of hockey over the last 2 seasons and all the injuries this year certainly didn't help. We may miss the playoffs this year but I have no doubt that they will be back next season.

Missing the playoffs might be a blessing in disguise. Image having the playoffs and the off season to rest up and heal, not to mention take a break from the game. I know they want to make it and win but it might be just what the doctor ordered to miss.

Personally I still have some hope that they get in since I have no faith in toronto or boston for that matter. Not to mention the sens. But only time will tell. I just try to look at the bright side of things.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Really? You're a Habs fan asking this? I've hated them with a passion since the sweep (and probably even before that) and Prust/Bishop antics.

that sweep actually made TBL better imo. That was a lot of experience for young players like Palat, Johnson, Hedman and Kucherov.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
As far as I'm concerned, games like this are the reason why Cooper needs to be reviewed. Not saying there's better options right now, but if your team can't bring it in a game like this, that's a problem.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
As far as I'm concerned, games like this are the reason why Cooper needs to be reviewed. Not saying there's better options right now, but if your team can't bring it in a game like this, that's a problem.

I'm sure there have been conversations about it this season. But like you said, no real options at the moment.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
LOL at the fire Cooper talk. We just lost in OT after our best player should have scored against the best team in the division.

Chill out. Cooper's job isn't even in question.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

We've heard that far to often yet far to often have we not seen that on the ice.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Say you win tmrw and Boston loses. You are then 2 points behind. Win Boston and u guys are tied in points but with a game in hand. So do those two things and u should be able to make it.

I don't particularly "hate" the Habs either outside of head-to-heads but I won't speak for the rest of my peers. In any case, they're entitled.

As for the above, that is pretty much exactly what I was getting at. The Bruins losing to the Blackhawks? That's getting "help". And the Lightning definitely need it. They can't get in without getting some help from...somewhere. Whoever provides it, if anyone does. And, given that's it's a back-to-back, on the road, to the #1 team in the West, suffice it to say that we're desperately counting on the Blackhawks to get a regulation win out of that game.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL

I don't think "bringing it" was the problem tonight. Julien's a very good head coach, and the Habs are a fine team and healthier than the Lightning as well.

I will say that Cooper's record vs. Julien is pretty concerning, though. I don't know right off the top of my head, but it can't be good, and it's brutal at home. I think the Lightning only have one home win, shootouts-excepted, against Julien since Cooper was named head coach.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
Carey Price is really good and steps up when the light is on him. Vasi was solid in his own right.

Anyone who thinks we have much more than a slight chance to pull this out is kidding themselves. We are very likely done.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I don't think "bringing it" was the problem tonight. Julien's a very good head coach, and the Habs are a fine team and healthier than the Lightning as well.

I will say that Cooper's record vs. Julien is pretty concerning, though. I don't know right off the top of my head, but it can't be good, and it's brutal at home. I think the Lightning only have one home win, shootouts-excepted, against Julien since Cooper was named head coach.

I would love if someone could dig up the actual record. Cooper's record vs many quality coaches is likely lacking.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
lol this thread is gold. Where y'all went wrong was not accepting the season was done 20 games ago. This little run has been fun to watch, but it was always very much a long shot.

And those questioning Cooper are absolutely right to, but not for tonight. Look at the rest of this season when we were relatively healthy and dropping points left and right. Two subpar seasons in a row should be concerning to any fan of this team, no matter what you think the cause is. Pretending there isn't something wrong is foolish.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
lol this thread is gold. Where y'all went wrong was not accepting the season was done 20 games ago. This little run has been fun to watch, but it was always very much a long shot.

And those questioning Cooper are absolutely right to, but not for tonight. Look at the rest of this season when we were relatively healthy and dropping points left and right. Two subpar seasons in a row should be concerning to any fan of this team, no matter what you think the cause is. Pretending there isn't something wrong is foolish.

Agree with this.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Realistically Boston and Toronto are winning the games they're supposed to win. I don't know Toronto's remaining schedule but Boston has it tough. If we can manage wins against the Bruins and Leafs, we have an ok chance.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Realistically Boston and Toronto are winning the games they're supposed to win. I don't know Toronto's remaining schedule but Boston has it tough. If we can manage wins against the Bruins and Leafs, we have an ok chance.
Toronto has the Sabres , Capitals , Lightning , Penguins and the Blue Jackets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad