Post-Game Talk: 3rd Win of the Season + 3rd Road Win in a Year.. Thanks Dallas! (3-2 Leafs Win)

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
The rielly hunwick pairing is just :D

And reimer was solid no doubt, just didnt't close the gap between the posts tight enough on both goals. Honestly, I think only the second one was soft, I don't know how many would save a goal line shot like the second. Garbage goal no doubt, but I wouldn't put that completely as a soft one on reimers part. He'll wprk on that for next game.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

And reimer was solid no doubt, just didnt't close the gap between the posts tight enough on both goals. Honestly, I think only the second one was soft, I don't know how many would save a goal line shot like the second. Garbage goal no doubt, but I wouldn't put that completely as a soft one on reimers part. He'll wprk on that for next game.

The first one wasn't a soft goal? I would expect a 12 year old AAA goalie to stop it.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
In all honesty, we could easily be over .500 right now if Reimer and Bernier were consistent.

Have we had a single game yet this season without at least one soft goal against?

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Like what I have seen from Harrington past 2 games.
I thought his game vs the Caps was his best yet in a Leaf shirt.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Yeah, Harrington is looking like a very nice piece from the Kessel deal. I wasn't expecting him to make the team this season, let alone be one of our better defencemen.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What a weird point to try and make. Like shots don't matter?

No point in playing defense since being outshot doesn't matter. Our forwards might as well circle in the neutral zone and wait for breakout passes for odd-man rushes.

We have been told that the key to winning is a possession game. Outshoot and all that. Yet 2/3 wins have come when being outshot.

People were happy to be "losing the right way" with the shot clock in our favour.

It's a valid question. Winning but being outshot. That was the knock on Carlyle.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
In all honesty, we could easily be over .500 right now if Reimer and Bernier were consistent.

Have we had a single game yet this season without at least one soft goal against?

considering that Reimer is 3-2-3 right now, i'm not sure how you'd expect him to be much better consistently, considering he's already over .500.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Yeah, Harrington is looking like a very nice piece from the Kessel deal. I wasn't expecting him to make the team this season, let alone be one of our better defencemen.

Yeah he was good. He needs to improve his first few steps/acceleration, if he improves that, I legit see him as a rock #4 d for Leafs.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You shouldn't have to be perfect to be considered good. If Reimer hadn't had his arguably soft goals, he'd be performing as one of the top goalies in the league right now. Is that what is required to avoid criticism?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You shouldn't have to be perfect to be considered good. If Reimer hadn't had his arguably soft goals, he'd be performing as one of the top goalies in the league right now. Is that what is required to avoid criticism?

no - not at all
but in the goalies cases there are a looooot of goals that go in that shouldn't go in at all. and i usually take my cue from Noodles, who is fair in this. When Zetterberg goes, "I didn't even think that would go in, i just threw it and went off to change." or if its because you aren't holding the post....

i think that's what rustles people's ... my jimmies. I can't speak for others. I think i am v. fair at giving anyone their due when it's there. but i don't think (and not saying you do this, Nith,) we should be handwashing the type of goals that have been getting by either.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
We have been told that the key to winning is a possession game. Outshoot and all that. Yet 2/3 wins have come when being outshot.

So you're point is that having the puck more and taking more shots isn't better than having the puck less and getting less shots?

People were happy to be "losing the right way" with the shot clock in our favour.

It's about a lot more than the shot clock, but yeah, that is something to be happy about given the state of this rebuilding team.

It's a valid question. Winning but being outshot. That was the knock on Carlyle.

Carlyle? Are you really trying to make his system and the way this team played under him sound preferable?

This is what happens when you try to argue against statistics(otherwise known as facts). You say really weird things, like suggesting Carlyle was right, and that allowing shots and not taking them is fine.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
considering that Reimer is 3-2-3 right now, i'm not sure how you'd expect him to be much better consistently, considering he's already over .500.

I was referring to his individual performance overall. A good starting goalie should be able to string together several games without giving up a soft goal. Everyone is entitled to have the odd off night, but I don't think we have had a single game from either of our goaltenders wherein at least one soft goal wasn't allowed.

That is unacceptable at this level.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Carlyle? Are you really trying to make his system and the way this team played under him sound preferable?

I would regularly see more 2 on 1's & 3 on 1's in one Carlyle coached game, then I have seen in all the Leafs games combined this.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Funny to hear Jake say on air that Reimer let in a couple of weak goals. They were weak, but you don't normally hear teammates degrade one another on air like that. To be fair, he did say those weak ones were offset but solid play, but it was said.

Oh yeah, and Morgan is our #1 D man.. Phaneuf and his 11 minor penalties (12 after tonight) which is second to Big Buff in the league, can go anytime now.

4 of those 12 minors are offsetting minor penalties. Just sayin.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

The Hunwick signing was a beauty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad