Prospect Info: 3rd Round Kings Pick #90 Center Michael Amadio

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
North Bay got straight Murdered 9-2 tonight...but Amadio got a goal to break the franchise goal-scoring record...his 48th of the year. 3 games to score 6 points to breach 100.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Also, as a fun aside, has literally doubled his goal output every year--6, 12, 24, 48.

You realize what this means? By the time Amadio makes the Kings, he'll be scoring a gazillion goals.

I'm rooting for him to reach 100 points this season, then join the Reign for the playoffs.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It actually looks like NB is going to make the playoffs. They probably won't stick around long, though

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 8s9 seconds ago
#LAKings sign Michael Amadio to a three-year ELC. 2014 third round pick ranks fourth in the OHL with 48 goals for North Bay.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Quite possibly the least surprising news out of any transactions we'll see this year.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Get this kid a jersey and get him with the big club!!!

Keep reading his skills won't translate, but he can't possible be as bad offensively right now as Lewis/Shore/Brown/Nolan/Clifford.

Ok I'm joking around... but maybe only half joking.... this team needs to find some guys that can hit the net.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Hoping he can be another Toffoli or Pearson type with production.

I've soured a bit on AHLs after ONeill, Weal, etc. have put up numbers that could not translate.

Even Mersch may not be able produce the same way.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Hoping he can be another Toffoli or Pearson type with production.

I've soured a bit on AHLs after ONeill, Weal, etc. have put up numbers that could not translate.

Even Mersch may not be able produce the same way.

You mean undersized AHLers.

Plenty of current Kings had good AHL careers/numbers. King, Lewis, Brown, Shore, Martinez etc.

Those two were very specific cases because they were not really up to snuff in the physical aspect of the game. O'Neill was also kind of rough defensively from what I recall.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm eager to see what he can do in the AHL once his season concludes with the Battalion. Seems like the guy has a lot of tools that could translate well at the pro level, at least in the minors.

All of these accolades reminds me of what happened with Muzzin in his last season in juniors where he won a bunch of categories in the coaches poll.

Hutch

Jun 27, 2015
SoCal
Seems like Amadio is a textbook Kings prospect. Big body, hard working, skills at both ends of the ice - at least in Juniors. I'm fired up to see him the AHL at some point.

He'll get his shot at Ontario next season, but if you watch the Reign play, you know what a stretch it is to jump into a contributing role with them right away. They were college guys, but Mersch and Brozinski both took a while to get acclimated. Zykov got traded, but he looked pretty ineffective in his first season and was frequently a healthy scratch. The Reign really are the baby Kings, and play the same style, heavy and responsible, and grind out often very ugly wins. Watch a Gulls (who've pretty much owned the Reign surprisingly, despite a much weaker overall record) game, there's not much structure out there, then watch a Reign game - night and day difference in approach. The Gulls/Ducks seem to be grooming high level elite type players ("Montour, Ritchie, Theodore. Go out there pull a huge move on the goalie after dangling three guys!" Dallas Eakins), where the Reign groom players to be cogs in the Kings machine that advanced statistics indicate will be successful in tight checking playoff type games (Mersch, Dowd, Gravel, wish I could say Forbort, and Kempe has a ways to go).

Looking ahead for Amadio 2 years seems awfully fast for a Kings prospect to get from Junior to Center at 21 years old for the NHL club. It's a different and much more difficult positional jump, but 2nd rounder Lintuniemi started the year, and after being injured for much of the season, and looks like he finish the year as well, in the ECHL.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Seems like Amadio is a textbook Kings prospect. Big body, hard working, skills at both ends of the ice - at least in Juniors. I'm fired up to see him the AHL at some point.

He'll get his shot at Ontario next season, but if you watch the Reign play, you know what a stretch it is to jump into a contributing role with them right away. They were college guys, but Mersch and Brozinski both took a while to get acclimated. Zykov got traded, but he looked pretty ineffective in his first season and was frequently a healthy scratch. The Reign really are the baby Kings, and play the same style, heavy and responsible, and grind out often very ugly wins. Watch a Gulls (who've pretty much owned the Reign surprisingly, despite a much weaker overall record) game, there's not much structure out there, then watch a Reign game - night and day difference in approach. The Gulls/Ducks seem to be grooming high level elite type players ("Montour, Ritchie, Theodore. Go out there pull a huge move on the goalie after dangling three guys!" Dallas Eakins), where the Reign groom players to be cogs in the Kings machine that advanced statistics indicate will be successful in tight checking playoff type games (Mersch, Dowd, Gravel, wish I could say Forbort, and Kempe has a ways to go).

Looking ahead for Amadio 2 years seems awfully fast for a Kings prospect to get from Junior to Center at 21 years old for the NHL club. It's a different and much more difficult positional jump, but 2nd rounder Lintuniemi started the year, and after being injured for much of the season, and looks like he finish the year as well, in the ECHL.

Solid take. Would not be totally surprised to see Amadio at the tail end of the Reign schedule if North Bay is knocked out early, since he just signed. Really looking forward to seeing him play, and hope he sticks with the Reign his first season. Big shoes to fill if Dowd makes the Kings as the 3C. The Reign are pretty weak at center in the current AHL ranks (prospect wise), as Newbury, Sutter (UFA) and Horvat are AHL'ers, and Crescenzi is a depth center, but certainly will never drive the offense. So Amadio may be pushed right into the fire.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Sorry for the delayed response since I was one of those who said I didnt think he'd translate and was best used as a trade chip.

To follow up on my assertations:

I like Amadio's game. Appears to be a natural born leader, quiet, doesnt let the other parts of the game get to him, oozes with character which you have to love.

Is a tireless worker but his skating Id rate as average and on the lower end of average. I dont think that will translate to the NHL at all. In the Kings system of today it likely would work although I think you'd see him on the slower end of even our guys. That taken into consideration, he has time to improve it BUT will we have the same system that allows guys slower afoot to be effective on our team?

He's got a good shot, hard shot but nothing about it sticks out. From his release, to his accuracy, to his shots deceptiveness, none of it pops out at you or seems to be above average or elite. I think he's a guy who just knows how to score goals.

He plays in all situations which would appear as a major plus. He has decent size and frame but needs to bulk up to withstand the way he plays and will be asked to play in the Kings system at an NHL level. With already needing to add some speed to his skating, how well will he handle adding speed while adding weight?

While his season has been fantastic from a statistical standpoint, lets also put into context that he's a 4th year player in a kids league. Not only does he get all the ice time to produce, but he also has some major advantages on others he's playing against. To me, this makes the biggest difference when evaluating players. His real offensive boom has also come this year, where as other years he was just average.

Having the luxury of watching quite a few OHL games, especially ones with our prospects (former Storm season ticket holder) from Brown to Doughty and onward, plus getting to see tons of Mike Richards (Kitchener) its easy to see the major differences. Its not fair by any means to compare Amadio to these guys based on draft status, but it helps put things in context slightly.

I think Amadio plays a very similar game to Richards, and I guess could be a poor mans version. To me he's closer to former Guelph captain Ryan Callahan, with maybe a touch more skill, but worse skating and not as much sandpaper.

Amadio turning into either would be fantastic for the club. I really hope he makes it at the NHL as a productive player, especially if that can be in a Kings uniform. It wont be from a lack of trying or work ethic. I will still maintain his best value likely lies as a good trade chip for the Kings.

Id say his projection to be with the big club is 3 years at the earliest for a small taste, more then likely 4 years before we really see any lengthy debuted unless he really accelerates some parts of his game and continues to produce both stats wise and with the intangibles at the AHL level.

Just my 2 cents.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sorry for the delayed response since I was one of those who said I didnt think he'd translate and was best used as a trade chip.

To follow up on my assertations:

I like Amadio's game. Appears to be a natural born leader, quiet, doesnt let the other parts of the game get to him, oozes with character which you have to love.

Is a tireless worker but his skating Id rate as average and on the lower end of average. I dont think that will translate to the NHL at all. In the Kings system of today it likely would work although I think you'd see him on the slower end of even our guys. That taken into consideration, he has time to improve it BUT will we have the same system that allows guys slower afoot to be effective on our team?

He's got a good shot, hard shot but nothing about it sticks out. From his release, to his accuracy, to his shots deceptiveness, none of it pops out at you or seems to be above average or elite. I think he's a guy who just knows how to score goals.

He plays in all situations which would appear as a major plus. He has decent size and frame but needs to bulk up to withstand the way he plays and will be asked to play in the Kings system at an NHL level. With already needing to add some speed to his skating, how well will he handle adding speed while adding weight?

While his season has been fantastic from a statistical standpoint, lets also put into context that he's a 4th year player in a kids league. Not only does he get all the ice time to produce, but he also has some major advantages on others he's playing against. To me, this makes the biggest difference when evaluating players. His real offensive boom has also come this year, where as other years he was just average.

Having the luxury of watching quite a few OHL games, especially ones with our prospects (former Storm season ticket holder) from Brown to Doughty and onward, plus getting to see tons of Mike Richards (Kitchener) its easy to see the major differences. Its not fair by any means to compare Amadio to these guys based on draft status, but it helps put things in context slightly.

I think Amadio plays a very similar game to Richards, and I guess could be a poor mans version. To me he's closer to former Guelph captain Ryan Callahan, with maybe a touch more skill, but worse skating and not as much sandpaper.

Amadio turning into either would be fantastic for the club. I really hope he makes it at the NHL as a productive player, especially if that can be in a Kings uniform. It wont be from a lack of trying or work ethic. I will still maintain his best value likely lies as a good trade chip for the Kings.

Id say his projection to be with the big club is 3 years at the earliest for a small taste, more then likely 4 years before we really see any lengthy debuted unless he really accelerates some parts of his game and continues to produce both stats wise and with the intangibles at the AHL level.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

I agreed on his shot long ago but that poll seems to suggest otherwise, so I was rolling with that.

Skating he's already reportedly working on.

Production out and out, well, obviously he improves as it gets older, but to double up goals on every year, that's exactly what you want from a guy. The thing for me that sticks out here is there are only 3-4 other players on the team that really do anything at all, i.e. all the other top-10 scorers are on loaded friggin teams.

I think what he has working in his favor is his IQ and Diligence. The more I see of him, the more I think Shore 2.0 in a good way. The other raw tools exist but as you point out could be pumped up.

I do feel pretty good about skating in this system in particular, as you point out. Especially with guys with IQ, like Toffoli.

Pronman seems to agree with you too, so there's at least a few voices with concerns and I appreciate that you're willing to share 'why' because it's really hard to tell from a distance!

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Thank you! Much appreciated.

I agreed on his shot long ago but that poll seems to suggest otherwise, so I was rolling with that.

Skating he's already reportedly working on.

Production out and out, well, obviously he improves as it gets older, but to double up goals on every year, that's exactly what you want from a guy. The thing for me that sticks out here is there are only 3-4 other players on the team that really do anything at all, i.e. all the other top-10 scorers are on loaded friggin teams.

I think what he has working in his favor is his IQ and Diligence. The more I see of him, the more I think Shore 2.0 in a good way. The other raw tools exist but as you point out could be pumped up.

I do feel pretty good about skating in this system in particular, as you point out. Especially with guys with IQ, like Toffoli.

Pronman seems to agree with you too, so there's at least a few voices with concerns and I appreciate that you're willing to share 'why' because it's really hard to tell from a distance!

More then happy to do so.

His IQ definitely works in his favor. Id love to see him spend a summer or three with Gary Roberts to bulk up and improve his speed, explosiveness and everything else that comes with it. The reason the other top 10 scorers end up all on the same team is because the few elite teams stockpile to make a run, and it ends up getting very lopsided. Its why there's so many big swings in successes for the league.

Which was something else that made me wonder, why did no other team try to go after Amadio at the trade deadline? Sure North Bay is going to squeak in now, but he's exactly the type you season those top tier teams adding for the Memorial Cup run.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Finishes just shy of 100--68 games, 50 goals, 48 assists. Quite a season for the record books. Hope he has a good playoffs, but hope he can get to the pros and start getting his work in soon too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad