3rd Period Meltdowns: A Perennial, Ongoing Concern

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, Bylsma's tactics were horrible and especially defensively. Atleast with MJ's system, theres a focus on support and possession, not "as soon as we get possession, everyone race to the far blueline and we'll just wing it up the boards to you". He tried to find other ways but he didn't know how to teach it properly, thats where MJ will bring his expertise.

Also, the last time this team was healthy(when Comeau was a regular) they were coming back against teams and that was without Perron in the fold yet.

Theres upgrades to be made in several positions but i like where their headed for once. Unlike under Bylsma.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It;s amazing how MAF is now considered the man now after getting toasted on this board many times (and rightfully so a few years in postseason).

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is an on-going issue for about 5 years. Soooo there is that. It's not secret the team lacks defensive responsibility, team accountability, and toughness. The DB/Shero era set this team back instead of taking them further.

I never realized just how bad this organization was over the last 5 years until this year. Really disturbing stuff. It shows on the ice now with bad habits and an organization that just doesn't care most of the time. There is no desperation in the way we play. There is no determination to win another Cup. A lot of teams that win a championship have a tendency to struggle with finding that deep down desire. The Pens are in like a mini rebuild in terms of organizational structure/culture.

And before people fly off and attack my post. The organizational culture of the Pens team isn't going to win/lose a Cup, but it does help/hurt. Right now the team lacks a lot of mental aspects to the game. The last 5 years are still showing through this season.

But, if that was the sole reason, Cole then why are they still struggling with the same problems after a complete front office, bench, and roster reshuffle? Logically, there seems to be other components that are effecting this, since DB and Shero are no longer with us and have no influence on the club.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
But, if that was the sole reason, Cole then why are they still struggling with the same problems after a complete front office, bench, and roster reshuffle? Logically, there seems to be other components that are effecting this, since DB and Shero are no longer with us and have no influence on the club.

Oh I definitely hold the players responsible, too. Re-reading my original post, I didn't make mention to that. But I think the combination of no accountability in the room, terrible schemes, and DB/Shero all combine to one massive 5 year pile of ****.

Players definitely do not get a pass. That goes to everyone in the room from Sid to Craig Adams.

I have no clue though. I try to think what if the next 5 years are similar and we have 10 years of Crosby/Malkin and 2009 was the main prize. As a Pens fan, I'll gladly take that, but damn. What if? Who do I blame then? :laugh:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
One has to wonder, does this come down to the coaching staff not being able to instil the right "killer instinct" into the players? We seem to lack that instinct in order to finish off opponents..

Killer instinct is not something bestowed on players by their coaches. It's something they develop at a relatively young age, before they ever get to the NHL. It's an attitude that certain players carry with them from the start. I suppose it is possible with poor tactics for a coach to create a scenario that works against players' killer instincts (being too conservative with a lead, etc) but if your players don't have it when they're drafted / acquired, odds are they ain't gonna have it.

I suspect it's more a case of certain personalities on the team maybe being too sure of themselves or too lax with leads because when the offense is clicking they feel like they can score anytime they want. This has been a problem since before MJ, but he might make it worse with his tactics, possibly.

That looks to be a conditioning problem to me.

WRT to Greasy's numbers I was thinking the same thing. That spells bad conditioning. Pretty linear trend there, unlike Fleury's. Could also be lack of playing time though. If he was the every day starter those numbers might not be so linear.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm not worried about this team holding leads. They are something like 23-2 when scoring first.

I'm more concerned about the fact they haven't won a game all season when being down going into the third, or how they seem to fall apart when they are down a couple of goals early. They aren't a resilant bunch so far.

That's much more my concern for sure....

ObsessedCreative*

I'm not worried about this team holding leads. They are something like 23-2 when scoring first.

I'm more concerned about the fact they haven't won a game all season when being down going into the third, or how they seem to fall apart when they are down a couple of goals early. They aren't a resilant bunch so far.

That's much more my concern for sure....

And that is a team with a MAF playing unreal lights out in net. Just imagine when they pull a team in the first round that they matchup horrible against. They are ****EDDDDDD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad