3rd Period Meltdowns: A Perennial, Ongoing Concern

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Last night's game against Ottawa has been a common trait of this team even well beyond this season. Even under Bylsma's tenure we saw this team go into the 3rd period with the dreaded 2-3 goal lead only to complete crap the bed in the end. Often times they just appear to be completely complacent, and content to simply try to protect the lead (something we've never been adept at), while not being able to sufficiently sustain the added pressure and desperation being applied by the opposition.

One has to wonder, does this come down to the coaching staff not being able to instil the right "killer instinct" into the players? We seem to lack that instinct in order to finish off opponents, which is something that has burned us badly in the past, and I fear will only continue to burn us if not corrected...

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
One good thing is it seems to happen more often with Greiss in net as opposed to Fleury. Fleury has been really good this year at holding the lead (still can't believe he has 8 shutouts already).When Greiss is in net they seem to play worse. I don't want to throw him under the bus but Greiss has been awful at holding late leads this season.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
I was going to bring this up as well. I'd be very interesting in seeing Greiss's period by period numbers this year

Can anyone put together his period by period save%, GAA etc...

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm not going to blame Greiss for last night. The first goal was questionable, the rest weren't.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not going to blame Greiss for last night. The first goal was questionable, the rest weren't.

The 4th was pretty brutal. Yeah it was a breakaway but he was on his backhand and couldn't pull the puck to his forehand due to the back checker. He should have stopped that.

That doesn't mean he was awful or the reason the Pens almost blew it, but he has not been very good lately.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The concerning thing is that effort was rarely a concern under Bylsma. Tactics, sure. But for the most part he squeezed a lot out of the roster he was given. Pens also rarely got blown out under him. Both have been happening readily under MJ. Pens look mentally weaker than ever, and i'm not sure why.

Michael8771*

The 4th was pretty brutal. Yeah it was a breakaway but he was on his backhand and couldn't pull the puck to his forehand due to the back checker. He should have stopped that.

That doesn't mean he was awful or the reason the Pens almost blew it, but he has not been very good lately.
TBH he's been very underwhelming in his time here. He's disappointed relative to what I expected.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

One questionable goal is one too many though. If they don't get that 1st goal, it probably ends 3-0.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
It wont matter who the Pens trade for or trade away. It wont make a lick of a difference until they learn how to play 60 minutes on a consistent basis.

For a team with cup aspirations, they play an alarmingly large amount of uninspired hockey.

I get it. Sometimes games like this happen. The underdog team down 3 comes back. It happens. Problem is .. it should happen to a team (even a favorite) occasionally. It happens FAR too often with the Pens.

I'll watch some other teams. St. Louis is a good example. Sure, they lose games. Sure, they will occasionally blow a lead. They may not win every single game but I rarely see them "out of a game" due to crappy play.

Until this systematic problem changes, I cant see the Pens getting out of the first or second round. Which is a shame cause the team is just brimming with talent and skill. They are far too talented to be this lethargic and inconsistent.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
This is coming off a game where they shut it down vs the Wings. Look, they were dog tired in the 3rd last night after playing the night before and the Sens took advantage. They also picked themselves back up and almost won it in OT controlling the play and getting good chances.

I'm more confident in this group figuring it out now with a healthy roster than the DB era of having a full healthy group and the stretch pass causing horrible turnovers and the D being a mess with Orpik getting important minutes.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
This is coming off a game where they shut it down vs the Wings. Look, they were dog tired in the 3rd last night after playing the night before and the Sens took advantage. They also picked themselves back up and almost won it in OT controlling the play and getting good chances.

I'm more confident in this group figuring it out now with a healthy roster than the DB era of having a full healthy group and the stretch pass causing horrible turnovers and the D being a mess with Orpik getting important minutes.

And if this type of game was a rarity, none of us would be complaining. But these types of games happen far too often.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
And if this type of game was a rarity, none of us would be complaining. But these types of games happen far too often.

Exactly.

And there's a commonality: we are usually LEADING going into the 3rd period when these meltdowns happen.

The "Cardiac Kids" we used to see under Bylsma used to be when we were going into the final 20 minutes with our backs against the wall. However it was not at all uncommon to see the Bylsma-era version of the Pens completely dog it in the final 20 minutes as well whenever they had a 2-3 goal lead. It's just been too much of a common thing with this team during for the last few years and its pretty frustrating to say the least.

And I'm also not buying into the whole "fatigue" argument either. This has happened plenty enough times when we were coming off 1-3 day breaks between games as well. It certainly doesn't excuse getting completely dominated and bombarded in the 3rd period against the Sens either. Even though you may be slightly more tired than your opponent that doesn't mean go into a complete state of lethargy in the last period.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I was going to bring this up as well. I'd be very interesting in seeing Greiss's period by period numbers this year

Can anyone put together his period by period save%, GAA etc...

Thomas Greiss

12 starts

1st Period 0.922% 1.75 GAA

2nd Period 0.944% 2.00 GAA

3rd Period 0.876% 4.28 GAA

Overtime 0.778% 6.62 GAA

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Broke down a bit defensively. I'm not too worried about it, happens to a lot of teams. We still played a tremendous game overall. Those first two periods we dominated.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is an on-going issue for about 5 years. Soooo there is that. It's not secret the team lacks defensive responsibility, team accountability, and toughness. The DB/Shero era set this team back instead of taking them further.

I never realized just how bad this organization was over the last 5 years until this year. Really disturbing stuff. It shows on the ice now with bad habits and an organization that just doesn't care most of the time. There is no desperation in the way we play. There is no determination to win another Cup. A lot of teams that win a championship have a tendency to struggle with finding that deep down desire. The Pens are in like a mini rebuild in terms of organizational structure/culture.

And before people fly off and attack my post. The organizational culture of the Pens team isn't going to win/lose a Cup, but it does help/hurt. Right now the team lacks a lot of mental aspects to the game. The last 5 years are still showing through this season.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I hate to say it, but this is why I do not see the Pens as a legitimate cup contender.
It's their DEFENSE.

They really miss Maata.
He was their best defensive positioning player.
Without him, their lack of having a stout defender is glarringly exposed.
Look at how easy it is for Ottawa and other teams to crash the Pens net.

They do not have Marc Staal/Doughty/Boychuk...nobody of that style and caliber. It's that simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad