Prospect Info: 3rd Overall Pick. Stutzle vs Byfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
The only link alluding to a love of the Rangers with Byfield was a Larry Brooks article purely speculating.

With each day I become less and less confident that Byfield slides past the Kings. I'm all aboard the Tim Stutzle train.
This is true and Brooks has walked back on it from 2 weeks ago and said he fully expects us to stay at 1 with Laf. There's also some buzz by someone on our board that we all trust that we might prefer Stutzle to Byfield if we were selecting at 2, but that's not confirmed and irrelevant since we're probably 99.9% just going to stay at 1 with Laf.

Reactions: DJB

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The only link alluding to a love of the Rangers with Byfield was a Larry Brooks article purely speculating.

With each day I become less and less confident that Byfield slides past the Kings. I'm all aboard the Tim Stutzle train.
Why would you become less and less confident after the most connected hockey insider just said he thinks the Kings want Stutzle?

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Why would you become less and less confident after the most connected hockey insider just said he thinks the Kings want Stutzle?
Not to mention that Stutzle rose to number 2 on Bob’s list, so it would be perfectly normal if he went to LA actually. I really don’t think y’all can do wrong at 3. Sort of similar to when we just sat back and choose one of Kakko/Hughes last year.

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This could turn out like 92 - maybe I misremember but wasn't Rathje a lock at 1 and the Sens had Hamrlick at 2? We ended up with some Russian guy at 2 ...

I doubt we see

1. NYR Laf
2. LA - Stutzle/By
3. OTT - By / Stutzle

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Who do you guys think is more NHL ready? Byfield or Stutzle?

I personally think Byfield will need another year in juniors, he’s still quite young and that last year of development would do wonders instead of throwing him to the wolves.

Stutzle was pretty good at the world juniors and has been playing against men so I lean more towards him being ready for the NHL next season.

Wonder how much stock this goes into making the pick

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

I personally think Byfield will need another year in juniors, he’s still quite young and that last year of development would do wonders instead of throwing him to the wolves.

Stutzle was pretty good at the world juniors and has been playing against men so I lean more towards him being ready for the NHL next season.

I think both will play in the nhl right away. Byfield already dominated the OHL this year and will be training for 8 months since the shutdown.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
By the time the NHL gets rolling again in January Byfield may be ready. Who knows at this point.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I think both will play in the nhl right away. Byfield already dominated the OHL this year and will be training for 8 months since the shutdown.

Isn't the Junior season starting around October? If yes, Byfield would get some action before the camp and continue to develop. Which is maybe not a bad thing for him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Isn't the Junior season starting around October? If yes, Byfield would get some action before the camp and continue to develop. Which is maybe not a bad thing for him.
December last I heard. Either way .. If I was drafting Byfield I am 90 % sure I'd send him back. Look how much more NHL ready Lafreniere is compared to Byfield. Let him go back and work on his game. He can improve in certain areas, IMO small area game and buying time.. He'll get more physically ready as well. He isn't even 18 yet.

Stutzle should probably play AHL some before graduating to the NHL imo. Get him more used to the small ice and more physical play.

At any rate .. it will very likely not be the Senators making the choice between the two based on NHL readiness or anything else.
OHL, WHL announce December start dates for 2020-21 season

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I had thought they would delay until December as well, but just saw the Q wants to start in October. So I am not sure.

Reactions: Viletho

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

This is such a weird yr so it's really a tough call but I would still send Byfield back for a yr to grow his game & maturity & dominate in junior & see what they have the following yr in camp. I would give him the 9 games though in the NHL. Stutzle I would likely send him to the AHL after a brief stint in Ottawa as well & probably bring him up mid yr or so depending on how he is doing. I doubt much stock is put into it given how the team could still be crappy next season.

Reactions: Cosmix

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
If NHL arenas are accepting fans, I bet the Senators will be inclined to have our 3OA pick play this season to sell tickets.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
This is such a weird yr so it's really a tough call but I would still send Byfield back for a yr to grow his game & maturity & dominate in junior & see what they have the following yr in camp. I would give him the 9 games though in the NHL. Stutzle I would likely send him to the AHL after a brief stint in Ottawa as well & probably bring him up mid yr or so depending on how he is doing. I doubt much stock is put into it given how the team could still be crappy next season.

Stützle will play next season in DEL.

I guess this needs to be written with regular intervals, but due to the late draft the players that has a contract with a European club will not be playing in NA next season. The European players will not even come over for the prospect nor main camp. This is due to the transfer agreement between the NHL and the European leagues.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I guess this needs to be written with regular intervals, but due to the late draft the players that has a contract with a European club will not be playing in NA next season. The European players will not even come over for the prospect nor main camp. This is due to the transfer agreement between the NHL and the European leagues.

Could be a bit of a blessing in disguise for the sens as it takes away the temptation of playing them right out of the draft.

Reactions: aragorn

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Stutzle said himself he has an out clause

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Stutzle has also said if he's asked to play in the AHL he will do it.

Also Byfield in the NHL next year would be a MASSIVE mistake by whichever team drafts him.

He lacks a ton of maturity to the overall part of his game.

His confidence looked crushed at the WJHC and the top prospects game. He had a ton to learn offensively as well by going back to the O.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Stutzle has also said if he's asked to play in the AHL he will do it.

Also Byfield in the NHL next year would be a MASSIVE mistake by whichever team drafts him.

He lacks a ton of maturity to the overall part of his game.

His confidence looked crushed at the WJHC and the top prospects game. He had a ton to learn offensively as well by going back to the O.
I don’t think he has a ton to learn offensively. He already dominated the OHL. He’s going to make bit strides physically over this pause. Look at Lafreniere one year later in the world junior. That’s basically where Byfield will be at when the nhl starts back up

Reactions: GCK

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
The sooner he starts with the team, the sooner his elc will be up, along with the 70 other prospects we're about to draft.
Perhaps kicking that can down the road helps: contracts, spreads out new talent coming in (Norris, brown) and allows byfield to work on his game a bit?

I can see Raymond (if we select him) starting next year, especially given his experience against men, tempo, and newly publicized weight gain.

Even Stutzle might need some time in the AHL to acclimatise to the smaller ice ‍?

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The sooner he starts with the team, the sooner his elc will be up, along with the 70 other projects we're about to draft.
Perhaps kicking that can down the road helps: contracts, spreads out new talent coming in (Norris, brown) and allows byfield to work on his game a bit?

I can see Raymond (if we select him) starting next year, especially given his experience against men, tempo, and newly publicized weight gain.

Even Stutzle might need some time in the AHL to acclimatise to the smaller ice ‍?

Raymond played like 3rd and 4th line minutes last year against men.. he is not close to NHL ready .. He needs a big year in the SHL this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad