Prospect Info: 3rd Overall Pick. Stutzle vs Byfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The only pick we can realistically upgrade is the NYI pick. And that should be relatively easy imo, I'm more than willing to part with several picks if someone that we love starts to fall.

Above all other years in the last several, this draft is an incredibly killer one to have #3 & #5. They are very likely getting two players who will be stars in the league.

You can't pass that up, wouldn't even really consider it tbh, especially with Byfield and Stutzle being already being assured, and either of them could be the best players in the draft.

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The problem with that is trading Brannstrom makes it even more important to draft Drysdale. With Brannstrom on the roster you could afford to take two forwards with our two top picks, but trade Brannstrom and now you have a huge hole on defense that will need to be filled again.

Edit: it is a nice move on paper, and we would end up with a huge crowd at centre. Then again, you could always trade a center for another defenseman, so I am not entirely against the idea.
I don't think trading Brannstrom leaves a big hole on defence, I mean, he isn't even playing on the team full time yet. And they have Thomson & JBD coming on the right side & Chabot is signed long term. And Wolanin is still around to fill in until someone better comes along.

And there are a couple of defencemen they could draft in Guhle, Sanderson & Drysdale depending on who they might want in the first rd. They have a few options IMO & Brannstrom may have enough value to return a pretty good upgrade or to move up in the first rd. That's a lot of ands.

Dark Horse - Guénette Maxence RD

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would be OK with trading #5, the NYI pick and Brannstrom for #2. Then we would get Byfield and Stutzle. Or Lafreniere and Stutzle if NYR drafts Byfield.

That’s too much form me ... I’m not even convinced Byfield + Stutzle will be better than Byfield + Raymond. I don’t think the difference between the two packages is NYI + Brann.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only pick we can realistically upgrade is the NYI pick. And that should be relatively easy imo, I'm more than willing to part with several picks if someone that we love starts to fall

I'd move up from the NYI pick for any of Quinn, Jarvis, or Amirov. Obviously we'd likely have to move up more for some than others.

That said, I'm not sure it would be easy to make it happen. I think teams will wa t to hold onto their picks.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I will be surprised if anyone moves their picks in the top 10, after that I could see a few clubs wanting to move up including Ottawa if they have a certain player targeted. I doubt the NYR move that 1st OA, I think it's just draft hype to keep fans interested.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
LA would never entertain it.

For comparison's sake, when the Sens wanted to move up to #2 in 2011 to draft Landeskog the asking price was #6, #21 and David Rundblad. Keep in mind that at that time Rundblad was viewed as one of the best prospects in the game.

Hindsight of course, but man I wish Ottawa had paid that price, especially since I highly doubt Dorion would have traded Landeskog for Brassard.

Reactions: Flamingo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hindsight of course, but man I wish Ottawa had paid that price, especially since I highly doubt Dorion would have traded Landeskog for Brassard.

So... You wish we traded the pick used for Zibanejad who himself is probably worth more than Landeskog, plus 21 oa (granted Noeson essentially busted) and Rundlad who became Turris for us?

I don't think making a terrible trade can be justified by in potentially preventing a different terrible trade... Just wish we hadn't traded for Brassard.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Now lots of talk about Rangers and Kings for the first pick. We gonna land with Stutzle , Not a bad things but I would prefer it s us who trade for Laf

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Now lots of talk about Rangers and Kings for the first pick. We gonna land with Stutzle , Not a bad things but I would prefer it s us who trade for Laf

Strange how Bobs list indicates a slight preference for Stutzle at 2nd OA yet there seems to be people hypothesising trades that result in us having to "settle" for Stutzle at 3...

Rangers might like the versatility of Stutzle who can play LW or C, Strome and Zibanejad are both young centers, then they have Chytil and Howden. I don't think there is an obvious need for any specific position

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
So... You wish we traded the pick used for Zibanejad who himself is probably worth more than Landeskog, plus 21 oa (granted Noeson essentially busted) and Rundlad who became Turris for us?

I don't think making a terrible trade can be justified by in potentially preventing a different terrible trade... Just wish we hadn't traded for Brassard.

Yeah I forgot about Rundblad turning into Turris. Still Landeskog would be a great fit for this team, and probably would have stuck around longer than Zibanejad or Turris.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'd move up from the NYI pick for any of Quinn, Jarvis, or Amirov. Obviously we'd likely have to move up more for some than others.

That said, I'm not sure it would be easy to make it happen. I think teams will wa t to hold onto their picks.
How about Mercer. I think he is a Sens type pick from their stated identity.

Reactions: Sweatred

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Because they don’t even know 100% who they are picking. They can’t because the draft isn’t in the next minute. What if Edmonton calls them up and offers mcdavid and a first. They’re not going to consider that? Nope, already made the selection.
It’s all talk until it happens.

What is there to gain by telling everyone who you’re selecting?

You're right of course, L.A. has no reason or obligation to reveal their pick early. I do feel like their preference for Stutzle is genuine and not some 4D chess attempt to keep their opponents guessing.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Strange how Bobs list indicates a slight preference for Stutzle at 2nd OA yet there seems to be people hypothesising trades that result in us having to "settle" for Stutzle at 3...

Rangers might like the versatility of Stutzle who can play LW or C, Strome and Zibanejad are both young centers, then they have Chytil and Howden. I don't think there is an obvious need for any specific position
Rangers are in love with Byfield, I don t see Rangers take Stutzle. Maybe pick Byfield at first and give Laf to LA for free.

Stutzle gonna be dissapointed all the time , he think he goes to LA

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
No GM wants to be the guy that traded down from #1 overall and ended up drafting a bust.

Picking the consensus #1 overall and ending up with a bust is bad, but still understandable and nothing out of the ordinary.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Rangers are in love with Byfield, I don t see Rangers take Stutzle. Maybe pick Byfield at first and give Laf to LA for free.

Stutzle gonna be dissapointed all the time , he think he goes to LA
Uhhhh, with respect, while we may like Byfield, there is no universe we'd take him at 1. Besides, our coach and President have already pretty much and came out that we're taking Laf. Getting one of Byfield and Stutzle at 3 will be great for y'all though, you should be stoked!

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
The only link alluding to a love of the Rangers with Byfield was a Larry Brooks article purely speculating.

With each day I become less and less confident that Byfield slides past the Kings. I'm all aboard the Tim Stutzle train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad