Prospect Info: 3rd Overall Pick. Stutzle vs Byfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lundell here we come! :sarcasm: (Please Dorion, don't do it).

dorion said in the Doughty-Stamkos draft that they had a split room over who would go #1 and it makes me think The only player who could jump Stuz or Byf at #3 is Drysdale. Would be a surprise but if he is the next EK I don’t think we’d complain

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
dorion said in the Doughty-Stamkos draft that they had a split room over who would go #1 and it makes me think The only player who could jump Stuz or Byf at #3 is Drysdale. Would be a surprise but if he is the next EK I don’t think we’d complain

Do you have a link to that ? I'd love to see it!

Looking back Doughty has been the better player

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When did he say this that’s very interesting

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Do you have a link to that ? I'd love to see it!

Looking back Doughty has been the better player

looked for the link but couldn’t find it, I watched it a couple of years ago. Can’t go wrong with either player but Doughty has been the one that can raise his game when it matters and has a competitive edge for sure.

In a playoff series I’d pick Doughty just because of his desire to win

Reactions: DJB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If it turns out that LA drafts Byfield & Ottawa takes Stutzle next, wouldn't it make sense to take Lundell C at 5th who could be a very good centre in the NHL with a pretty good LWer in Stutzle? Add Dylan Guenther RW in the 2021 draft & they would have an outstanding line.

Stutzle - Lundell - Guenther

Reactions: Cosmix

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Dorion's draft record is disastrous. None of his draftees are in NHL yet. I do not count Tkachuk, he was not scouted by Dorion, but delivered to him. If Dorion will draft Byfield at number 3, it would be laughable. LA will draft Stutzle, no doubt about it.

I count Tkachuck, and yes Dorion Scouted him, he always catches tons of grief in these threads because he does scout so much .... and these others could be considered good draft picks

Max Lajoie in the 5th round
Drake Batherson in the 3rd round
Alex Formenton in the 2nd round
Shane Pinto in the 2nd round

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If it turns out that LA drafts Byfield & Ottawa takes Stutzle next, wouldn't it make sense to take Lundell C at 5th who could be a very good centre in the NHL with a pretty good LWer in Stutzle? Add Dylan Guenther RW in the 2021 draft & they would have an outstanding line.

Stutzle - Lundell - Guenther

Could be a good idea. Although I think we can get Lundell by trading up. Select Raymond 5th. And roll with L.Brown too. Create two powerful scoring lines that alternate between 1A and 1B

Tkachuk-Brown-Raymond
Stutzle-Lundell-Batherson

Ofc if Brown fails then Lundell steps up 1st and Norris/Pinto rise to second. Or Stutzle takes over at C himself.

I still think we getting Byfield but your idea def worth considering. Strengthens our C position and gives us flexibility. If the cards align we are left with Formenton and Norris on 3rd line wrecking pure havoc.

Reactions: NB613

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I see a lot of people put Malkin as NHL comparable for Byfield but I really don't see that at all, especially stylistically. Malkin has a much better vision and slows the game down and can easily play through traffic. His game is not based on speed at all, it's mostly based on strenght/control and playmaking. I haven't seen many make this comparison but I see a bigger Matt Duchene when I look at Byfield and I think it fits his playing style much better.

Fast skater, good in transition and strong on his feet. Not very physical but doesn't get pushed around either. Great shot and will go where he needs to go to score goals. Good playmaker but it's not his best asset and likes to shoot more than he likes to pass. Both score a bulk of their goals off the rush by surprising Dmen with their speed and a quick elusive shot. He reminds me a bit of Zibanejad as well but Zibby has more presence to his game and plays a bit more of a steak-potatoes game while Byfield has softer hands and likes to play with more finesse.

I'm really interested in seeing how he adapts to the NHL and if he can learn to be more physical and not as reliant on his speed. I have to say the short stick does bother me a bit. He could play a much "bigger" game if he would use his reach to his advantage. Right now I see a big guy that doesn't play a big man game. The thing I'm worried about is that he might not change his game and that could hurt him in the NHL. Physical play is not for every player, big or small. Some small guys are way more impactful physically just because that's the way they're hardwired to play.

Nevertheless, he'll be an elite player. It's just that you have to keep these things in mind when drafting. You can't just assume a guy will be dominant physically because he's bigger or even that he'll be able to change his playing style so that he could really become one of the best players in the league. Between him and Stutzle, I think Stutzle has a better chance to be succesful next season because of his ability to control the play and slow it down in his density areas which he has already done against men and in international play. (And Byfield hasn't really excelled playing against NHL-like structured defense)

Last edited:
Reactions: JackieDaytona

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I see a lot of people put Malkin as NHL comparable for Byfield but I really don't see that at all, especially stylistically. Malkin has a much better vision and slows the game down and can easily play through traffic. His game is not based on speed at all, it's mostly based on strenght/control and playmaking. I haven't seen many make this comparison but I see a bigger Matt Duchene when I look at Byfield and I think it fits his playing style much better.

Fast skater, good in transition and strong on his feet. Not very physical but doesn't get pushed around either. Great shot and will go where he needs to go to score goals. Good playmaker but it's not his best asset and likes to shoot more than he likes to pass. Both score a bulk of their goals off the rush by surprising Dmen with their speed and a quick elusive shot. He reminds me a bit of Zibanejad as well but Zibby has more presence to his game and plays a bit more of a steak-potatoes game while Byfield has softer hands and likes to play with more finesse.

I'm really interested in seeing how he adapts to the NHL and if he can learn to be more physical and not as reliant on his speed. I have to say the short stick does bother me a bit. He could play a much "bigger" game if he would use his reach to his advantage. Right now I see a big guy that doesn't play a big man game. The thing I'm worried about is that he might not change his game and that could hurt him in the NHL. Physical play is not for every player, big or small. Some small guys are way more impactful physically just because that's the way they're hardwired to play.

Nevertheless, he'll be an elite player. It's just that you have to keep these things in mind when drafting. You can't just assume a guy will be dominant physically because he's bigger or even that he'll be able to change his playing style so that he could really become one of the best players in the league. Between him and Stutzle, I think Stutzle has a better chance to be succesful next season because of his ability to control the play and slow it down in his density areas which he has already done against men and in international play. (And Byfield hasn't really excelled playing against NHL-like structured defense)
I really think the narrative that he doesnt use his size and only scores off the rush is massively over blown. There are a few shift by shift breakdowns of his game and its just not the case. His vision is terrific too, thats why he likes to come up from behind the play. When creating from behind it has similarities to doing it off the cycle. Youre slowing it down and finding the open man. Malkin creates the same way, i absolutely see the same style in these two players.

Could he be more physical? Sure, but its not like he doesnt finish his checks or lean on the other team.

What i see is a player that needs more consistency and thats a maturity thing. Scouts are looking for problems at this point. I think the package is so tantalizing and raw people look for flaws. The flaws are fixable and will come over time. Its not a restriction that can never be fixed or honed.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It works if he doesn’t ...
Neither player is likely to be around when the NYI pick is up even in the best case scenario of drafting 13th, we'd have to trade up regardless of who you want.

I guess it all depends on where the NYI pick ends up, if it's 13-15, i could see players being available that make trading up unnecessary, but if we are picking 21st, i might be convinced trading up will get us into a higher tier.

In the end, it all depends on draft day, a couple players going earlier than expected could flip the decision.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Neither player is likely to be around when the NYI pick is up even in the best case scenario of drafting 13th, we'd have to trade up regardless of who you want.

I guess it all depends on where the NYI pick ends up, if it's 13-15, i could see players being available that make trading up unnecessary, but if we are picking 21st, i might be convinced trading up will get us into a higher tier.

In the end, it all depends on draft day, a couple players going earlier than expected could flip the decision.

Obviously ... It is very possible if we pick 13th that a Quinn, Lundell, Mercer type is available.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I really think the narrative that he doesnt use his size and only scores off the rush is massively over blown. There are a few shift by shift breakdowns of his game and its just not the case. His vision is terrific too, thats why he likes to come up from behind the play. When creating from behind it has similarities to doing it off the cycle. Youre slowing it down and finding the open man. Malkin creates the same way, i absolutely see the same style in these two players.

Could he be more physical? Sure, but its not like he doesnt finish his checks or lean on the other team.

What i see is a player that needs more consistency and thats a maturity thing. Scouts are looking for problems at this point. I think the package is so tantalizing and raw people look for flaws. The flaws are fixable and will come over time. Its not a restriction that can never be fixed or honed.
also. its not even like he NEEDS to use his size to buldozer people... like if people bounce of him and he protects the puck well and he can skate like the wind...

Logan is much more frustrating because hes a much more stationary player and its almost like if you want to become a great NHL player you need to do sometinghere... be more physical or get way faster

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Obviously ... It is very possible if we pick 13th that a Quinn, Lundell, Mercer type is available.
The odds of Carolina, Pens, and NYI all losing the playin are pretty slim but if that happens and Askarov or some off the board prospect gets taken in the top 12 then sure, no need to consider trading up. In the mean time odds are pretty good you will need to trade up to get any of those guys so might as well discuss what we're willing to give up to get one if the stars don't align and allow one to fall into our laps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad