Prospect Info: 3rd Overall Pick. Stutzle vs Byfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not even remotely close tbh.

Byfield is 2 tiers above what Zibanejad was at the draft. On the raw athletics side of there are comparisons to be made I guess. But Byfield is bigger, stronger and faster, and not to mention a hell of a lot more skilled offensively.

Zibby was always more of a goal scorer, and his playmaking and vision are not elite level imo. While Byfield on the other is an elite playmaker by nature, and he looks far more comfortable with the puck on stick and using his size to keep control of the puck to make plays.

Byfield's vision and hockey IQ is so seriously underrated around here. Some of you guys are going to be super happy and surprised to see just how gifted he is offensively when we get him :nod:.

It hasnt happened yet I know, but this really is shaping up to be a dream come true for me.

I'd say you're overrating Byfields hockey IQ and vision.

He has all the physical tools...he needs to work on the toolbox. And the NHL is not the place to do that.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Oh I agree, if we draft him he’s staying in the show.

I don’t think he should, he needs another year, and needs to learn how to use his body as an advantage, especially at a level against men.

Ideally he could go play a year in Switzerland or Sweden, and then come to the NHL full tine at 19, but I don’t think that is on the table at all.

I think the NHL starting in January could help him a fair bit if he's able to play overseas or something for the Fall. Not great (he should be in the OHL all year) but having the extra months may help.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
IMO its a mixture of hype and wishful thinking. Dorion is kinda known for that. The cards have to be played in training camp etc.. It has to be about what's best for the player's development. Byfield isn't 18 yet. IMO they send him back to Sudbury. Europe I suppose is an option but that would have to be orchestrated.
I can’t see him going to Europe. I think he starts the season with an NHL team and sticks at least until the half season cutoff.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Oh I agree, if we draft him he’s staying in the show.

I don’t think he should, he needs another year, and needs to learn how to use his body as an advantage, especially at a level against men.

Ideally he could go play a year in Switzerland or Sweden, and then come to the NHL full tine at 19, but I don’t think that is on the table at all.
I think that would break the CHL NHL agreement since the top picks usually sign their ELC right away.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If I'm the Senators, and Byfield is more of a long term project than the other players, I play him in 10 or more games to burn year 1 of the ELC and then send him back. While he burns a year of his ELC, he won't accrue a year towards free agency, so he will still have 7 RFA years remaining (2 more on his ELC, and 5 after that).

Then, he will only have 2 years left on his ELC, and the Senators can attempt to sign him to a 6-8 year extension in the summer of 2022 after only 92 or so NHL games. Of course, this is assuming the player is willing to do that. Some players would rather play out their ELC and bet on themselves.

The Ducks seemed to do this with Maxime Comtois. They played him in 10 games. We'll see if they try to extend him early this off season.

In a way, if Byfield is less NHL ready, I think it is a benefit to the Senators long term build. We're not winning next year, or the year after. Getting the best player 3 or more years from now should be what matters. If that player also happens to not be as ready right now, and it allows us to lock them down to a better long term contract after their ELC, that's a huge bonus.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Lots of steam for Perfetti to the Wings. Obviously doesn’t mean that’s what happens but if it does we get to choose between Raymond/Rossi/Drysdale

Tkachuk-Byfield-Batherson

What a big, sexy and skilled 1st line :popcorn:

Formenton-Norris-Raymond

Imagine if this is your 2nd line... terror would be inflicted on the opposing 2nd pairings. Insane speed and IQ and some pretty nice finish too.

Then you still have Duclair, Pinto, L.Brown, White, C.Brown to fill out the rest of the forwards depending on who pans out the most. Amazing depth without mentioning others like Paul/Abramov/Davidsson/Chlapik/etc.

Also Chabot/Brannstrom/Wolanin/JBD/Jaros/Thomson/Zub/Lajoie/UFA on the backend is very underrated imo.. Especially that top 4/5. I see that Brannstrom and Wolanin are both underrated by different posters for different reasons and so together they become underrated around HFsens. Both have shown a ton of promise already at the NHL level.

Reactions: NB613

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Feel free to take Drysdale :)

At #3, though

Nah, the Sens will just take one of Byfield or Stutzle at 3. Wishful thinking by Wings fans though to think of these players will drop out of the top 3.

If the Sens want Drysdale, they will just take their chances that he is available at 5th. If not, then no big deal.

Sens need forwards more than they need defenseman imo.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Dorion lies. But a 9-game rookie stint makes it plausible. Usually top picks of that calibre like that start in the NHL. Agree Byfield needs more maturation in major juniors for one more year.

Wouldn't say Dorion lies. I'd say he's learned to not say what he is thinking which is something he used to do to his detriment

Reactions: derriko

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think that would break the CHL NHL agreement since the top picks usually sign their ELC right away.
Should he stay in the CHL it would, if he leaves he wouldn’t be apart of the CHL or the agreement, likewise with Rossi this year should he leave for Europe, or Thomson leaving for the Finish league this year.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If Dorion wants Stutzle it would be worth one our 2nds to move to 2nd from 3rd. I think Detroit tries to get to 2 and grab Stutzle so we may need to counter.

After winning the second lottery, I doubt very much that LA is going to give up the second overall draft pick ........ nothing is impossible, but the price for Detroit would have to be an offer you couldn't refuse ..... aka to costly IMO.

I'm thinking perhaps Detroit might be able to swing a better deal (for them) by trading down, and still getting a very good prospect along with the cost of letting another team move up ........ would Ottawa be interested in moving up to the fourth spot?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Should he stay in the CHL it would, if he leaves he wouldn’t be apart of the CHL or the agreement, likewise with Rossi this year should he leave for Europe, or Thomson leaving for the Finish league this year.
Good point. I always thought the agreement applied to players drafted out of the CHL but Thomson is a great example that I was wrong.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Player B above isnt Lafraniere. hes from a different draft.,

The interesting bit is player b was drafted 2 spots ahead of the guy that outscored him by 30 pts.

Why not do the same poll but instead of player b use player c who was on the same team as b and outscored his closest teammate by 21 pts with 2.14 pts per game?

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
The interesting bit is player b was drafted 2 spots ahead of the guy that outscored him by 30 pts.

Why not do the same poll but instead of player b use player c who was on the same team as b and outscored his closest teammate by 21 pts with 2.14 pts per game?
Different positions.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
I have a soft spot for Germans after many saturdays of german school growing up so I'm hoping for Stützle, that being said Byfield looks awesome so its win win. Part of me would also like to see us take Byfield 3 and Rossi 5 so we can draft the biggest and smallest centres in the top 10

Reactions: derriko

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Thanks. I thought your stats while only depicting one aspect might indicate something different.
Regarding Holtz for example, your conversion to OHL scoring has him amongst the Top scorers of this forward group.

Holtz does have really good scoring metrics based on league and ice-time, but all the forwards commonly ranked around him also have good metrics; however, all the forwards (Bob's list) ranked ahead of Holtz look better than Holtz when I watch them play.

Holtz plays a very simple game, and it should translate well. His shot is NHL level, so if he can skate and try on defence, he will almost certainly be a solid forward, but I think some of the other players offer the potential of a more complete game.

Reactions: Sensenmann

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have a soft spot for Germans after many saturdays of german school growing up so I'm hoping for Stützle, that being said Byfield looks awesome so its win win. Part of me would also like to see us take Byfield 3 and Rossi 5 so we can draft the biggest and smallest centres in the top 10

Me too, I grew up in Germany. (technically West Germany)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

well that wouldnt be that fun of a poll as then B and C would be Universally loved prospects. like revealing that the players are mackinnon and drouin wouldnt necessarily surprise any one they would just go " ya those two guys were awesome"

Byfield is getting pretty heavy flack, just puts his season into a little more perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad